The North has dating services,
The South has family reunions,
The West has Communes.

The North has manicurists,
The South has Lee Press-on Nails,
The West has tattoo artists.

The North has double last names,
The South has double first names,
The West had double-entendres for names.

The North has Champaign,
The South has Pabst Blue Ribbon,
The West has Mocha Latte's

The North has Indy car races,
The South has stock car races,
The West has electric vehicle races.

The North has Cream of Wheat,
The South has grits,
The West has granola.

The North has tennis courts,
The South has fishing holes,
The West has yoga studios.

The North has green salads,
The South has collard greens
The West has Arugala, pine nuts, and goat cheese, served with a light vinegrette dressing.

The North has lobsters,
The South has crawfish,
The West has shrimp sushi.

The North has the rust belt,
The South has the Bible Belt,
The West has black belts in Tai Chi.

The North has manufacturing,
The South has Agriculture,
The West has...hmmm... what the fuck do they do there anyway?

-----

Notes on moving to the west:

1) Right-on, far-out, and Bitchin' all mean the same thing.

2) That hamburger you're eating might be made with no meat at all in it.

3) If you need to make a left turn, try to get into the left lane 3 or 4 blocks before you have to make your turn. If you are trying to make a left turn where there is no traffic signal, bring a book to read because you may be at the intersection awhile.

4) When you're a pedestrian, walk really slow through the crosswalks. When you're driving, get really pissed at the people walking really slow through the crosswalks.

5) When it rains, people run inside, because rain is scary.

6) Appropriate clothing is a T-shirt and Shorts. Even in winter.

7) If you wear a tie, people will think you're a Mormon missionary. Even the FBI agents and insurance salesmen don't wear ties here.

8) "Sushi" means "cold raw fish to eat".

9) Instead of church, people attend Yoga, combining their spirituality with their workout, saving time.

10) Don't assume someone's gender based solely on their appearance - think of people here like a big box of chocolates - you don't know what you've got till you bite into one!

Cheers,

Andy Somers

The West has mining, logging or probably the most accurate, entertainment

freeandfun1 said:
The West has mining, logging or probably the most accurate, entertainment

You left out computers and technology too.

Yes, I was *going* to put entertainment (after all, I am writing this from my office on the lot of a certain major film studio), but the "what do we do" was funnier.

A

CivilLiberty said:
You left out computers and technology too.

Yes, I was *going* to put entertainment (after all, I am writing this from my office on the lot of a certain major film studio), but the "what do we do" was funnier.

A

I know, I am being picky, but the West can't claim the corner (or even close to it) on technology or computes. Dell is based in Texas, IBM is headquartered in New York and although Gateway is now based in San Diego, they got their start in South Dakota (and I am not sure where they fit in - north or west).

And as for technology, although the Bay area (and San Jose especially) has a lot of high-tech companies, Long Island (Hauppague area), Upstate New York, Boston (and other parts of Mass) and Connecticut all have a lot of high-tech companies (the original hotbead of technology).

So I think entertainment (think, LA (of course), Vegas, Grunge in Seattle, skiiing, beaches, Disney Land, Sea World, etc.) is what we have out here as there is no place in America with as much entertainment as the Western USA (well, save NYC but they don't have the variety we have in the west).

Just some thoughts..... not that it is such a serious subject!

freeandfun1 said:
I know, I am being picky, but the West can't claim the corner (or even close to it) on technology or computes. Dell is based in Texas, IBM is headquartered in New York and although Gateway is now based in San Diego, they got their start in South Dakota (and I am not sure where they fit in - north or west).

And as for technology, although the Bay area (and San Jose especially) has a lot of high-tech companies, Long Island (Hauppague area), Upstate New York, Boston (and other parts of Mass) and Connecticut all have a lot of high-tech companies (the original hotbead of technology).

One word: Microsoft!

gop_jeff said:
I'm sure it wouldn't take long for MS to come up with its own PC brand, if push came to shove.

True, but don't forget, there are other operating systems out there. MS was just able to corner the market early and so they have become the major operating system used. If MS disappeared tomorrow, it is not as if the world would have to come up with an entire new operating system. Linux, Apple, etc. would all be ready and able to step in.

Forum List

Back