Of Hurricanes, Guns and the 2nd Amendment

Abbey Normal

Jul 9, 2005
Mid-Atlantic region
I have always been ambivalent about guns and the 2nd amendment. I understood the arguments on both sides, but I felt primarily that armed robbery and even murder rates would decrease greatly if guns were outlawed. Ironically, many years ago I did learn to handle and shoot a gun at a firing range and enjoyed the experience. (I forget the caliber, but I think it was a .38?? Sorry if that number doesn't make sense).

Anyway, after watching several days of coverage of criminals shooting rescuers and raping women in New Orleans, I have come to the conclusion that we'd better damn well have the right to keep firearms. Apart from guaranteeing the citizenry the right to bear arms in case the government goes amok, the police are simply not always going to be able to protect us. Thugs will still be able and willing to rape and rob without guns, but I can't realistically protect myself from a knife-wielding thug without one.

I know this conculsion must seem wrong to some. And yet to others, this conclusion must seem pretty obvious and long overdue. But the light bulb just came on for me, and I wanted to share to news.

:flameth:

Abbey Normal said:
I have always been ambivalent about guns and the 2nd amendment. I understood the arguments on both sides, but I felt primarily that armed robbery and even murder rates would decrease greatly if guns were outlawed. Ironically, many years ago I did learn to handle and shoot a gun at a firing range and enjoyed the experience. (I forget the caliber, but I think it was a .38?? Sorry if that number doesn't make sense).

Anyway, after watching several days of coverage of criminals shooting rescuers and raping women in New Orleans, I have come to the conclusion that we'd better damn well have the right to keep firearms. Apart from guaranteeing the citizenry the right to bear arms in case the government goes amok, the police are simply not always going to be able to protect us. Thugs will still be able and willing to rape and rob without guns, but I can't realistically protect myself from a knife-wielding thug without one.

I know this conculsion must seem wrong to some. And yet to others, this conclusion must seem pretty obvious and long overdue. But the light bulb just came on for me, and I wanted to share to news.

Congratulations!!!

Does the phrase "Outlaw guns and only outlaws will have guns" ring a bell?

What most folks seem to forget is that owning a gun is not enough. You must be trained to use the gun and more importantly WILLING to use it if necessary. Obviously, the criminal element is more than willing to use guns.

CSM said:
Congratulations!!!

Does the phrase "Outlaw guns and only outlaws will have guns" ring a bell?

What most folks seem to forget is that owning a gun is not enough. You must be trained to use the gun and more importantly WILLING to use it if necessary. Obviously, the criminal element is more than willing to use guns.

Exactly---the president of the United States is not our daddy. He CANNOT protect you from every bad thing that happens in life. He may try to come to your aid but as is happening in NO right now, he may not make it on time. After you're dead is the wrong time to protect yourself. A firearm may save your life, your family and you're valuable possessions.

Hopefully many will see this in a new light. But the drum will be beaten over our heads again about how bad guns are. Just like they are still trying to say that new refineries are a bad thing and more regulations are needed for gas in order to make more?!?! Liberals dont think right.

Abbey Normal said:

The good news is you came to this conclusion BEFORE it was too late and guns were taken away
from law abiding citizens...To bad it took this disaster to do it, but such is life. Nice to have ya on the team.

Abbey Normal said:

Bottom line is when disaster strikes we are all on our own. Get your pets, kids, guns, batteries, water, and have a plan!!!

Bonnie said:
Bottom line is when disaster strikes we are all on our own. Get your pets, kids, guns, batteries, water, and have a plan!!!

And don't ever ever ever think that it can't happen to me !!!

Forum List

Back