Ode to Gridlock

Amelia

Rookie
Feb 14, 2011
Packerland!
There are a lot of Democrat ideas I could get behind if I weren't convinced that they'd take voters' qualified agreement as a mandate to go too far to the left. But it's moot. Because I'm sure they will take it as a mandate and they will go too far, so I have to be guarded with any approval.

Yet, I'm annoyed by a lot of the social legislation of Republicans. And I don't want Grover Norquist to write our tax policy, so if you're a legislator who is on board with his pledges, I want your influence to be marginalized.

When people get into power after time in the wilderness, they start proposing all the pet projects the other party wouldn't let through the door. And most are rightly turned away before they get a chance to be made into law.

And that's how I like it.

Gridlock is good. I want to be able to put Washington on ignore and not worry about what they're going to change.

Gridlock is good. I want to be able to put Washington on ignore and not worry about what they're going to change.

=====

Washington put the people on ignore years ago.

Gridlock is not good, the economy sucks and so does our political processes. Congress needs to pull their collective heads out of their collective asses and get some things done. Otherwise, we're fucked.

For starters, reform and simplify the tax code to remove most if not all of the tax breaks, loopholes, and subsidies, and require a 2/3 majority in both chambers to put anything new in. Then reform the campaign finance laws to make all donations transparent, as well as who pays for The TV ads we see on TV. I don't know enough about how some amendments that spend a bunch of unrelated money get attached to legislation, but it oughta be tougher to do.

• Banned
"require a 2/3 majority in both chambers to put anything new in."

"it oughta be tougher to do."

Sounds like you're in favor of gridlock too!

After a set of initial fixes .....

There are a lot of Democrat ideas I could get behind if I weren't convinced that they'd take voters' qualified agreement as a mandate to go too far to the left. But it's moot. Because I'm sure they will take it as a mandate and they will go too far, so I have to be guarded with any approval.

Yet, I'm annoyed by a lot of the social legislation of Republicans. And I don't want Grover Norquist to write our tax policy, so if you're a legislator who is on board with his pledges, I want your influence to be marginalized.

When people get into power after time in the wilderness, they start proposing all the pet projects the other party wouldn't let through the door. And most are rightly turned away before they get a chance to be made into law.

If your're happy with the status quo, then I can understand why you like the Congress deadlocked. Unfortunately, you typify a growing segment of the population.

"require a 2/3 majority in both chambers to put anything new in."

"it oughta be tougher to do."

Sounds like you're in favor of gridlock too!

After a set of initial fixes .....

LOL, seems that way. I want to make it harder to spend more money on stuff that isn't mandated by law, and I don't like adding a buncha pork to existing bills. They can do an omnibus spending bill once a year, if they can get enough support for it then fine, stick it in there. But no more deals behind closed doors, no more reading the bill after it passes to find out what's in it. That's bullshit and has to stop, I don't care who does it.

For starters, reform and simplify the tax code to remove most if not all of the tax breaks, loopholes, and subsidies, and require a 2/3 majority in both chambers to put anything new in. Then reform the campaign finance laws to make all donations transparent, as well as who pays for The TV ads we see on TV. I don't know enough about how some amendments that spend a bunch of unrelated money get attached to legislation, but it oughta be tougher to do.
I think the majority of voters would agree with most of your proposal, however neither party would, which is a sad statement about democracy in America.

Health care for all Americans is going too far to the left.

Stop believing the nonsense that comes from Republicans. It's their policies that ran up the deficit and started war without end. Democrats trying to stop Republicans from their disastrous and terrible agenda doesn't make Democrats part of the problem. That's what Republicans want you to believe.

Forum List

Back