CDZ Oddly timed racist comments

While working today I had to interface with an older fellow who seemed normal enough. After a few minutes of conversation about cars and what not someone made a reference to "hanging out".

Ol' guy then mentions his skin is not the right color for him to be just hanging out. I must have said "huh" or looked dumb while holding my tongue because he repeated himself and said something like "know what I mean".

Being at work I chose not to engage him further.

First, what did the 60ish year old white guy mean? An odd reference to black folks standing around?

Second, why do white folks always do this around me? Are they trying to that prove the black rights protesters are correct and need to be protesting more?
They could be feeling you out. Nothing is more embarrassing for a white racist than being caught being racist around another white person that is not racist. I had a white girlfriend who routinely told me some of the things she would hear white people say about Black people before our relationship went public.
Nothing is more embarrassing for a white racist than being caught being racist around another white person that is not racist.

Um...If one is confident that one's racist views and behavior are just, why would one be embarrassed about it? Chagrin is something one feels when one does, says or thinks something that one knows is wrong, yet one did it anyway. It doesn't make sense to be embarrassed if one is certain one is in the right.
Its only embarrassing if they lose their job over it. I know the white guy that wouldnt hire me into 3rd level was embarrassed he got fired after it came out why he wouldnt hire me.
Its only embarrassing if they lose their job over it.
While third parties may construe that the person who lost a job for the noted reasons, the person who lost their job, if they are certain they were in the right, so to speak, should not feel any chagrin. If, on the other hand, the job-loser knows what they did was wrong, well, then yes, they likely feel embarrassed, though it's not often clear whether they feel so due to having lost their job or whether they feel so due to having acted on wrongheaded notions and thereby suffered the consequences of having done so. It's not uncommon for people of dubious character or acumen to be (or attest to being) embarrassed about the wrong things and/or for the wrong reasons.

While working today I had to interface with an older fellow who seemed normal enough. After a few minutes of conversation about cars and what not someone made a reference to "hanging out".

Ol' guy then mentions his skin is not the right color for him to be just hanging out. I must have said "huh" or looked dumb while holding my tongue because he repeated himself and said something like "know what I mean".

First, what did the 60ish year old white guy mean? An odd reference to black folks standing around?

Second, why do white folks always do this around me? Are they trying to that prove the black rights protesters are correct and need to be protesting more?

Your post does not offer sufficient context to support your generalization.

You know what I mean?

You know what I mean?

Not entirely.

In fairness its been a couple weeks since "the incident" and I have not heard any rwcist remarks personally. Now I did skip a Thanksgiving event where there were sure to be some because I didn't feel like being quiet or starting a fight. Not sure if that counts.

You know what I mean?

Not entirely.

In fairness its been a couple weeks since "the incident" and I have not heard any rwcist remarks personally. Now I did skip a Thanksgiving event where there were sure to be some because I didn't feel like being quiet or starting a fight. Not sure if that counts.

If you go looking for racism, I'm sure you'll find it.

You know what I mean?

Not entirely.

Not hard to find.

You know what I mean?

Not entirely.

Your statement is true. Inviting Uncle Danny over is a sure way to find it too lol.

The fellow who made the skin color reference was white. Honestly I'm white, I'm not coming down with sickle cell myself, but I don't understand why white people are "always"...bad choice of words....I don't understand why white people regularly make racist comments around me like "they" think I'm on their team or something.

Maybe its a St Louis thing.

They are hoping you are on their team. And they are finding out. This is how you find out who is an ally and who is not: friend or foe.

The country is splitting down the middle into two groups: people who think all the black-Muslim-Hispanic crime is just fine and those who don't think it's fine at all.

Choose your side.

It's only been a few weeks for me since the last time I heard something like that, but before that, years.

Sure. Things are changing rapidly as the country devolves toward --- whatever will happen: civil war, putsch, coup d'état. People have to know what side you are on, so they say things and then we all know.

If you are on the left but are white, you may change once the violence starts.

Forum List

Back