Oddball's Totally Awesome Paragliding Thread

Just found a video taken of my last flight at Marshall.

Although the breeze was kinda weak and funky, it was still nice a flyable day!

I watched the whole thing, and looked for the paraglider with horns and a tail, but couldn't recognise you.

The first guy, reminded me of the movie Forrest Gump...."Run Forrest, RUUUN!!"

Overall,it looks a lot safer than I'd imagined...more like kite-flying than cliff jumping.

Most.....Awesome.....Flight.....Ever.

Stupid easy thermals....Airborne for nearly an hour and a half.

woota.gif
woota.gif

Attachments

• $BirdSongs_-_Royal_Albatross.jpg
    $BirdSongs_-_Royal_Albatross.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 68
One of the coolest things about flying at Andy Jackson is cruising around chasing hawks and kestrels when it's really pumping thermic.

Besides the fun of seeing them up close doing what they do best, they're great little indicators of where the air is rising and sinking.

Another ripper weekend in San Bernardino! :)

One of the coolest things about flying at Andy Jackson is cruising around chasing hawks and kestrels when it's really pumping thermic.

Besides the fun of seeing them up close doing what they do best, they're great little indicators of where the air is rising and sinking.

Another ripper weekend in San Bernardino! :)

Uuuummmm.... Can we start calling you a "wingnut" now?

Could be. :D

BTW, I was able to climb high enough on Sunday to see the AppleValley/Hisperia/Victorville area from the front side of the San Beranrdino mountains.

For those of you scoring at home, that's way the hell up there!

Insanely easy lift today.

Got up high enough to see lakes Gregory, Arrowhead and Silverwood.

Safe to say that the myth of Icarus and Daedalus doesn't *ahem* fly, 'cause it gets plenty chilly at that altitude. :D

How High (literally)?

I once again considered climbing the 14,200 ft Longs Peak this weekend, but had other commitments, and missed seeing the 3rd hiker of the season fall to his death.

Rule of thumb around here is a 5 F temp drop for every 1000 ft, so if it's 90 F in Denver at 5,000 ft, you can count on it being 90 - (14,000-5,000)*5 = 55 F at the summit of Longs Peak.

PLUS you can burn the shit out of your hide exposing your skin to sunlight at that altitude, which is why I have never climbed nekkid.

Safe to say that the myth of Icarus and Daedalus doesn't *ahem* fly, 'cause it gets plenty chilly at that altitude. :D

I did a lot jumping in the service, so I have an itch I'd like to start scratching again... but I cannot convince my old lady to come down to Hollister with me.......

Last edited:

How High (literally)?

I once again considered climbing the 14,200 ft Longs Peak this weekend, but had other commitments, and missed seeing the 3rd hiker of the season fall to his death.

Rule of thumb around here is a 5 F temp drop for every 1000 ft, so if it's 90 F in Denver at 5,000 ft, you can count on it being 90 - (14,000-5,000)*5 = 55 F at the summit of Longs Peak.

PLUS you can burn the shit out of your hide exposing your skin to sunlight at that altitude, which is why I have never climbed nekkid.
Was told by the locals that I was between 8,000-8,500 MSL.

I passed between two distinct temp zones....Hot to cool, then cool to plenty chilly.

Was kinda spooked for about 1/2 hour, because I was trying to dump altitude yet still climbing out.

Forum List

Back