Ocean studies

Go study ocean acidification.

The oceans are alkaline, not acidic. They are not even close to acidic. Perhaps you need to study a bit rather than simply spew inaccurate buzzwords.

So what if oceans are alkaline? If pH goes from 8.0 to 7.9 that IS acidification. The water IS more acid then before. No one said the oceans were acid. It's like when then the temp "warms" from 10F to 20 F. Nobody's saying it's warm outside. Your argument here just indicates to me that your supposed scientific knowledge is just parroted information from God knows where, certainly not a science text!!!

Go study ocean acidification.

The oceans are alkaline, not acidic. They are not even close to acidic. Perhaps you need to study a bit rather than simply spew inaccurate buzzwords.

So what if oceans are alkaline? If pH goes from 8.0 to 7.9 that IS acidification. The water IS more acid then before. No one said the oceans were acid. It's like when then the temp "warms" from 10F to 20 F. Nobody's saying it's warm outside. Your argument here just indicates to me that your supposed scientific knowledge is just parroted information from God knows where, certainly not a science text!!!

There's a chance that Isostatic rebound absorbs the CO2 and turns it into egg noodles

There's a chance that Isostatic rebound absorbs the CO2 and turns it into egg noodles

There's also a chance that the 100 monkeys you have putting out your posts may eventually type something that makes sense, but who's got that many millenia on their hands?!?! :eek:

There's also a chance that the 100 monkeys you have putting out your posts may eventually type something that makes sense, but who's got that many millenia on their hands?!?! :eek:

s0n..........we conservatives have a motto..........gotta out-absurd the absurd. Its a tough road to go but we figure out ways to get it done.
Tru:boobies:st me.......its tough sometimes to figure out ways to illustrate common sense.

s0n..........we conservatives have a motto..........gotta out-absurd the absurd. Its a tough road to go but we figure out ways to get it done.
Tru:boobies:st me.......its tough sometimes to figure out ways to illustrate common sense...

...especially when you don't have any!!! :cool:

So what if oceans are alkaline? If pH goes from 8.0 to 7.9 that IS acidification.

No it isn't. The oceans are not acidifying. The fact that you don't grasp the terms or understand what constitutes acidification does not alter the fact that the oceans are not acidifying.

I've been an avid diver since the '70s and I've fished the Long Island Sound all my life.

And from my observations, I can report that marine life has most definitely declined substantially in that period.
Don't dive Pennekamp unless you want to cry.The fishing down in the Caribbean is still fair because the Big Boyz( Z, as in Nazi) cant get their rigs close enough to the reefs. The sad part is they are financing smaller boats for local fisherman to get them for them and run them out. Then, of course, some stooge in the Empire is fully willing to dump $15 on a $2 fish sandwich (probably with a Visa to help support his masters) while the guy that caught it cannot afford to keep any for himself while making the boat payments.
CaptaliZm !

These Nazi's here
Blue Marlin Fillet Wholesale | Albion Fisheries
have commercialized Blue Marlin.Unfuckinbelievable.

Yeah, I know. Been there many times.

I remember a time when you practically had to move the fish out of the way to make any forward movement. And the barracuda were stacked up like cord wood.

Not so much anymore.

A few years ago the fleet in Half Moon Bay began to sell their catch at a 'Farmer's' Market on the pier, by-passing the wholesale buyers. Fresher fish, greater profit.
Not practical everywhere, but great for the producer and the consumer.

I've been an avid diver since the '70s and I've fished the Long Island Sound all my life.

And from my observations, I can report that marine life has most definitely declined substantially in that period.

I have seen stocks decline as well, but that is an issue of conservation, not climate. Here in NC, legislation is going forward that will make it illegal to catch redfish, stripers, and speckled trout in a net. That will effectively end long gill net fishing here. It happens in every state that forces sportfishermen to buy salt water fishing licenses. When that number of people are paying the "kitty" they suddenly have far more political clout than commercial fishermen.

I aggree that stocks are declining, but it isn't a climate issue; not by a long shot and anyone who tries to make it a climate issue is, at their very core, dishonest.

It isn't about climate? The amount of CO2 in the atmosphere is warming the oceans, killing coral, the most productive eco system on this planet. The acidification of the ocean is negatively affecting the single celled animals that are the base of the food chain. These are observed facts, not up for debate. The increased heat in the ocean is contributing to the hypoxia and anoxia that we are now seeing on both coasts.

So what if oceans are alkaline? If pH goes from 8.0 to 7.9 that IS acidification.

No it isn't. The oceans are not acidifying. The fact that you don't grasp the terms or understand what constitutes acidification does not alter the fact that the oceans are not acidifying.

Bentwire, you are about as stupid concerning science as Franky boy. Perhaps you believe that your definitions of science outweighs that of the National Academy of Science?

Southern Ocean acidification: A tipping point at 450-ppm atmospheric CO2

Southern Ocean acidification: A tipping point at 450-ppm atmospheric CO2
Ben I. McNeila,1 and Richard J. Matearb
+ Author Affiliations

aClimate Change Research Centre, Faculty of Science, University of New South Wales, Sydney NSW 2052, Australia; and
bCentre for Australian Weather and Climate Research and Antarctic Climate & Ecosystems Cooperative Research Centre, Hobart TAS 7000, Australia
Edited by David M. Karl, University of Hawaii, Honolulu, HI, and approved October 6, 2008 (received for review July 1, 2008)

Abstract
Southern Ocean acidification via anthropogenic CO2 uptake is expected to be detrimental to multiple calcifying plankton species by lowering the concentration of carbonate ion (CO32−) to levels where calcium carbonate (both aragonite and calcite) shells begin to dissolve. Natural seasonal variations in carbonate ion concentrations could either hasten or dampen the future onset of this undersaturation of calcium carbonate. We present a large-scale Southern Ocean observational analysis that examines the seasonal magnitude and variability of CO32− and pH. Our analysis shows an intense wintertime minimum in CO32− south of the Antarctic Polar Front and when combined with anthropogenic CO2 uptake is likely to induce aragonite undersaturation when atmospheric CO2 levels reach ≈450 ppm. Under the IPCC IS92a scenario, Southern Ocean wintertime aragonite undersaturation is projected to occur by the year 2030 and no later than 2038. Some prominent calcifying plankton, in particular the Pteropod species Limacina helicina, have important veliger larval development during winter and will have to experience detrimental carbonate conditions much earlier than previously thought, with possible deleterious flow-on impacts for the wider Southern Ocean marine ecosystem. Our results highlight the critical importance of understanding seasonal carbon dynamics within all calcifying marine ecosystems such as continental shelves and coral reefs, because natural variability may potentially hasten the onset of future ocean acidification.

I understand quite well that 7.9 is more acidic than 8.0. It seems that you don't quite get it. It's like saying that since Pat Buchanan is to the right of GWB, that makes Dubya a liberal. It's a matter of relative differences, which you seem to have trouble understanding.

The second they mentioned acidification they lost all credibility.

Just another study that points out that we are rapidly approaching the point where our actions will have direct affects on our ability to provide food for our present population.

http://www.stateoftheocean.org/pdfs/1906_IPSO-LONG.pdf

Just a bunch of scientists, and what the heck do they know?

We are having a tremendous effect on the earth.

We certainly do at the local level. But not globally. That is thankfully still beyond mans power.

Just another study that points out that we are rapidly approaching the point where our actions will have direct affects on our ability to provide food for our present population.

Well...you could ask commercial fishmen...if you can find any.

We've been eating out way down the oceanic foodchain for some time now.

We're like totally scrod, man.

Completely fluked.

I guess if I was 0 for every time I posted against someone I might resort to infantile insults too at some point.

If that ever happens to me, I'll let you know

Atlantic Ocean stocks greatly rebounded in the early 19th century once smallpox, influenza and genocide reduced the native population and before whites replaced the natives . So vast and over populated were Maine lobsters that they were fed to the hired help. We're a little on the "too many humans" side of balance, but that has NOTHING to do with Global Warming

I have seen stocks decline as well, but that is an issue of conservation, not climate. Here in NC, legislation is going forward that will make it illegal to catch redfish, stripers, and speckled trout in a net. That will effectively end long gill net fishing here. It happens in every state that forces sportfishermen to buy salt water fishing licenses. When that number of people are paying the "kitty" they suddenly have far more political clout than commercial fishermen.

I aggree that stocks are declining, but it isn't a climate issue; not by a long shot and anyone who tries to make it a climate issue is, at their very core, dishonest.

It isn't about climate? The amount of CO2 in the atmosphere is warming the oceans, killing coral, the most productive eco system on this planet. The acidification of the ocean is negatively affecting the single celled animals that are the base of the food chain. These are observed facts, not up for debate. The increased heat in the ocean is contributing to the hypoxia and anoxia that we are now seeing on both coasts.

So you say. The experiments never back up your assertions and you have to manipulate the data to come close to your still unstated hypothesis.

We are having a tremendous effect on the earth.

but s0n...........how do you not get that nobody cares? A huge majority thinks you're out of your mind!! So........what???? Why bother the perpetual whine??

Forum List

Back