Ocean acidification

Here's some more info on the continuing research into the ocean acidification problem. The particular consequence of mankind's fossil fuel carbon emissions threatens to alter or destroy the marine food chain and perhaps ultimately destroy the fish that provide a protein source for much of the world's human population.

Ocean Acidification in the Arctic: What Are the Consequences of Carbon Dioxide Increase on Marine Ecosystems?

ScienceDaily (June 4, 2010) — Carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions not only lead to global warming, but also cause another, less well-known but equally disconcerting environmental change: ocean acidification. A group of 35 researchers of the EU-funded EPOCA project have just started the first major CO2 perturbation experiment in the Arctic Ocean. Their goal is to determine the response of Arctic marine life to the rapid change in ocean chemistry.

Ocean acidity has increased by 30% since preindustrial times due to the uptake of anthropogenic CO2. It is projected to rise by another 100% before 2100 if CO2 emissions continue at current rates. Polar seas are considered particularly vulnerable to ocean acidification because the high solubility of CO2 in cold waters results in naturally low carbonate saturation states. CO2 induced acidification will easily render these waters sub-saturated, where seawater becomes corrosive for calcareous organisms. By the time atmospheric CO2 exceeds 490 parts per million (2040 to 2050, depending on the scenario considered), more than half of the Arctic Ocean is projected to be corrosive to aragonite. Arctic waters are home to a wide range of calcifying organisms, both in benthic and pelagic habitats, including shell fish, seas urchins, coralline algae, and calcareous plankton. Many of these are key species providing crucial links in the Arctic food web, such as the planktonic pteropods, which serve as food for fishes, seabirds and whales.

To study the impacts of ocean acidification on plankton communities, the Leibniz Institute of Marine Sciences (IFM-GEOMAR) has deployed nine mesocosms in the Kongsfjord off the north-western coast of Spitsbergen (Svalbard) supported by the Greenpeace vessel Esperanza. Each of the giant, 17 m long 'test tubes' holds about 50 cubic metres of seawater. The enclosed plankton community is exposed to a range of different CO2 levels as expected to develop between now and the middle of the next century and is closely monitored over a 6-week period. The EPOCA scientists, who are stationed at the Ny Ålesund research station, are sampling the mesocosms daily from zodiacs with plankton nets, water samplers and pumps, and conduct measurements with profiling sensors and in situ probes. The multidisciplinary experiment, which will last until mid July, involves molecular and cell biologists, marine ecologists and biogeochemists, ocean and atmospheric chemists. The scientists expect new results about the sensitivities of Arctic plankton communities to ocean acidification and their impacts on the Arctic food web and biodiversity, the cycling of carbon, nutrients and other elements, the production of climate relevant gases and their exchange with the atmosphere.

Story Source:

The above story is reprinted (with editorial adaptations by ScienceDaily staff) from materials provided by Leibniz Institute of Marine Sciences (IFM-GEOMAR).

Copyright © 1995-2010 ScienceDaily LLC — All rights reserved

(In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, this material is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.)

Blunder,

Until you make a public apology to gslack for your incredibly boorish behavior you're not welcome among the adults.

Walleyedretard

I don't see any adults here among you denier cultists. Just brain damaged children who are all "incredibly boorish". So fuck you, asswipe. You are still unable to respond intelligently to the scientific evidence supporting the reality of this developing ocean acidification problem.

Here's some more info on the continuing research into the ocean acidification problem. The particular consequence of mankind's fossil fuel carbon emissions threatens to alter or destroy the marine food chain and perhaps ultimately destroy the fish that provide a protein source for much of the world's human population.

Ocean Acidification in the Arctic: What Are the Consequences of Carbon Dioxide Increase on Marine Ecosystems?

ScienceDaily (June 4, 2010) — Carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions not only lead to global warming, but also cause another, less well-known but equally disconcerting environmental change: ocean acidification. A group of 35 researchers of the EU-funded EPOCA project have just started the first major CO2 perturbation experiment in the Arctic Ocean. Their goal is to determine the response of Arctic marine life to the rapid change in ocean chemistry.

Ocean acidity has increased by 30% since preindustrial times due to the uptake of anthropogenic CO2. It is projected to rise by another 100% before 2100 if CO2 emissions continue at current rates. Polar seas are considered particularly vulnerable to ocean acidification because the high solubility of CO2 in cold waters results in naturally low carbonate saturation states. CO2 induced acidification will easily render these waters sub-saturated, where seawater becomes corrosive for calcareous organisms. By the time atmospheric CO2 exceeds 490 parts per million (2040 to 2050, depending on the scenario considered), more than half of the Arctic Ocean is projected to be corrosive to aragonite. Arctic waters are home to a wide range of calcifying organisms, both in benthic and pelagic habitats, including shell fish, seas urchins, coralline algae, and calcareous plankton. Many of these are key species providing crucial links in the Arctic food web, such as the planktonic pteropods, which serve as food for fishes, seabirds and whales.

To study the impacts of ocean acidification on plankton communities, the Leibniz Institute of Marine Sciences (IFM-GEOMAR) has deployed nine mesocosms in the Kongsfjord off the north-western coast of Spitsbergen (Svalbard) supported by the Greenpeace vessel Esperanza. Each of the giant, 17 m long 'test tubes' holds about 50 cubic metres of seawater. The enclosed plankton community is exposed to a range of different CO2 levels as expected to develop between now and the middle of the next century and is closely monitored over a 6-week period. The EPOCA scientists, who are stationed at the Ny Ålesund research station, are sampling the mesocosms daily from zodiacs with plankton nets, water samplers and pumps, and conduct measurements with profiling sensors and in situ probes. The multidisciplinary experiment, which will last until mid July, involves molecular and cell biologists, marine ecologists and biogeochemists, ocean and atmospheric chemists. The scientists expect new results about the sensitivities of Arctic plankton communities to ocean acidification and their impacts on the Arctic food web and biodiversity, the cycling of carbon, nutrients and other elements, the production of climate relevant gases and their exchange with the atmosphere.

Story Source:

The above story is reprinted (with editorial adaptations by ScienceDaily staff) from materials provided by Leibniz Institute of Marine Sciences (IFM-GEOMAR).

(In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, this material is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.)

Blunder,

Until you make a public apology to gslack for your incredibly boorish behavior you're not welcome among the adults.

Walleyedretard

I don't see any adults here among you denier cultists. Just brain damaged children who are all "incredibly boorish". So fuck you, asswipe. You are still unable to respond intelligently to the scientific evidence supporting the reality of this developing ocean acidification problem.

excuse me but weren't you the one who insulted my mother??

yeah thought so.... Tell us again about brain damaged children???:lol::lol:

Story Source:

Blunder,

Walleyedretard

As I said before boorish children are not allowed.

They aren't bullshit statements dr douchebag, they are a challenge to the logic. A challenge that you have avoided like a plague, you and your little algorian pal. You keep posting all kinds of crap that does not address the point I raised and then try to contend it refutes something... Dumazz do you understand anything I say to you at all? Or are you too dam ignorant to understand how to think?

Do you understand critical thinking? How about logic? Do you get the fact there is an entire community of scientists all banking on this AGW being sound? Entire research budgets get granted and taken away based on its application to AGW and related studies. SO you will find peer reviewed papers to wipe the azz of every body on the planet and still have paper left. And in the end it won't make any of it any more true or factual than it was in al gores film...

Now grow up basement boy, you been caught trying to play doctor with the wrong man..... You are no scientists punk....

In science, you have to prove your logic. THis isn't philosophy where you just make wild statements without anything to back it up. That's what separates philosophy from science, in science you seek to support your logic is in fact true, until then, its nothing but unsubstantiated bullshit.
Funny you think you have better logic than the leading scientists in the matter that have been highly educated and are experts on the field.:lol:

YES YOU DO have to prove your logic. AND that is the problem with your parroting what others tell you without even checking it for obvious logical fallacies. You have done nothing but post crap after crap and then scream that its fact. When we point out problems in the basic premise and logic behind it, you post more of the same crap and then scream about it again. You never showed any bit of logic or reason, or even basic understanding of what you posted.

Want me to demonstrate fake dr boy?.... Here we go...

I have a close friend/co-worker who is a theoretical physicist. His capacity at work is the lead in our little group of number crunchers, coders, and analysts (me). Basically he oversees all our work and tries to keep things from going beyond the factual to the realm hypothetical. Understand so far?

I am the lead analyst, we work closely all the time. I kick my groups findings to him after I go over them, and then he makes sure my reasoning and logic are sound, and that I stay within the proper scope of the task and not venture into speculation.

You see thats the problem with our kind of work. It's real easy for relatively smart people to make assumptions based on their own preconceptions and thoughts. So we need two people to make sure we stay in the proper frame. I oversee the analysts, the coder lead oversees the coders, and my friend ( call him dave ) Dave oversees all of us. That process is essential to our work.

Now our findings and recommendations are only as sound as the data we derive it from. If we get an inaccurate report that is key to the premise, the report or recommendation will be off. And no amount of excuse making, stretching, or reaching for a hypothesis to secure that premise will change that. And that my ignorant little forum fake is how a scientific process is protected and maintained in research.

Your links, all of them all regard CO2 ocean acidification as fact. That is their premise. However many scientists look at it in published journals and nod their heads that their equations and practices are correct according to what they see in the paper, it means nothing unless the theory holds up in real world application. But we find fossil records stating that life that was particularly susceptible to Ocean acidification not only survived but evolved and thrived at times where the CO2 was 20 times the level of today.

They claim that even current levels of CO2 are causing severe problems with these same type of life forms in the oceans today, and if CO2 levels increase much more those life forms will perish. They even cite fossil evidence from the past showing what they believe to be mass extinctions, and they claim it was due to CO2 levels turning the oceans acidic.

But if that is the case, why did they not die off millions of years ago when CO2 was much higher? If they evolved some form of resistance to this back then, why didn't they evolve that resistance in the same manner again rather than die off? Why indeed....

You see the problem here yet? Its a illogical to make assumptions either way especially when the premise is so full of holes and unexplainable points of contention.

What we have here is a series of organizations and research groups, all banking on this. We already know how research money is granted. hot ticket items get the bigger shares and fan fair. And AGW is the biggest ticket. You want funding? then it better be what will sell or what is wanted, and right now that is AGW. Its hip and cool and all the celebrities back it. And there are all those new grant allocations for climate change research or green tech.

So do you really think it is shocking when you can cite a review of a paper up for publication, that supports some form of climate change or CO2 theory from a group who tells you in their mission statement they are in fact trying to prove climate change and educate on it? Give me a break..... Of course they will publish, its the dream of most scientists these days. And if you want the recognition of your peers you will publish, publish, publish...

So do us all a favor and stop with ignorant childish wannabe scientist crap. its fake and it shows...

More for the spamming tool to fight off..

Distilled water's ph is between 5.6 and 7. It is going to move toward 7 or above with the introduction of any acid. I guess my question is this, you finding much distilled water in the oceans, lakes and rivers of the world?
---------------------------------

LOL!!! Do you understand pH at all? Is that why you had to ask a stupid question? To cover up that fact? Read a chem text and get back to us.

Moron enough of your idiocy already! You have no knowledge of any of this so shut the fuck up! Seriously, all you have done is pop your head in randomly and spout off how wrong we are. You haven't shown any understanding what so ever. This will be the last lesson I give you moron....

Pool Water Chemistry

pH

pH is the single most important element in swimming pool water chemistry. It affects every other chemical balance in pool water.

pH is a measure of hydrogen ion (H+) concentration in water. It indicates the relative acidity or basicity of pool water. pH is measured on a scale of 0 (strong acid) to 14 (strong base) with 7 being the neutral pH.

In pools a slightly alkaline pH of 7.4 to 7.6 is most desirable because this range is most comfortable to the human eye and provides for optimum use of free chlorine while maintaining water that is not corrosive or scale forming.

If pH is too low (below 7)

Water becomes acidic
Chlorine residuals dissipate rapidly
Eye irritation occurs
Plaster walls are etched
Metal fittings, pump impeller, heater core may corrode
Dissolved metals may leave stains on walls
Rapid Loss of alkalinity

If pH is too high (above 8)

Chlorine activity is slowed and inefficient
Scale formation and discoloration of pool walls
Water becomes cloudy
Filter is overworked
Eye irritation may occur

Read that.... Understand it yet? Well lets hope so.

By that very accurate and unbiased source we learn the basis of PH. Follow me? Moving on....
If you want a very long detailed explanation read the wikki link below.

pH - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For simplicities sake lets use a standard and recognized chart graphic....

200px-PH_Scale.svg.png

Notice the chart mentions distilled water..... yeah its at 7 which is considered neutral its in the middle of the dam chart... YOU mentioned distilled water and how CO2 will lower the PH(raise acidity level) in distilled water... WELL NO SHIT! You add any kind of PH lowering element to a pure (or as close as possible) neutral PH environment and the PH will lower.

On the chart notice where Distilled water is? now notice where Sea water is... Yeah idiot, distilled water is already lower by 1 full unit. Also in ocean waters we have various and innumerable other elements and compounds which counteract the effects of CO2 lowering the PH. Which means; one, it is already higher on the PH scale than distilled water requiring even more CO2 to effect change, and two its full impurities, compounds, alkali and various factors which resist and act against the effects of CO2.

Which brings me back to my point you keep crying about. All the factors mentioned above and even some other factors we are not yet sure on, make it so CO2 alone cannot raise acidity levels to any drastic or dangerous amounts. Its a part of a much bigger process....

Now stop trolling and use the quote feature correctly you annoying little weasel.. Again you aren't unique, clever, or stand out. You are just annoying and show your immaturity.

More....

Blunder,

Walleyedretard

As I said before boorish children are not allowed.

3612607838_597a483e25.jpg

This thread needs a big fork. The Chicken Little morons aren't going to change their mind. They want to be right... for once. Truth has nothing to do with this anymore.

Stomach acidity is a major factor in several gastrointestinal dieases. Why don't you morons go and organize a world wide effort to stop the production of carbonated beverages?

Story Source:

Blunder,

Walleyedretard

Little boy,

I have had the displeasure of dealing with twerps far more intelligent than you ever will be. You are a cretin, a bufoon, someone of no account. You have demonstrated that you are no better than the pimple on a mosquito's bum.

Until you apologise to gslack for your incredibly inafantile behavior you are not welcome in the adult world. Until you apologise to gslack I am ostracizing you and I suggest the other adults do likewise.

Blunder,

Walleyedretard

Little boy,

I have had the displeasure of dealing with twerps far more intelligent than you ever will be. You are a cretin, a bufoon, someone of no account. You have demonstrated that you are no better than the pimple on a mosquito's bum.

Until you apologise to gslack for your incredibly inafantile behavior you are not welcome in the adult world. Until you apologise to gslack I am ostracizing you and I suggest the other adults do likewise.
already done.

Forum List

Back