Ocean acidification

First why don't you try and correct my claims as you seem to pretend you can do instead of trying to change the subject? its called dodging and you are doing it plain as day....

You insinuated it was incorrect, now show me that..... Can't can you... The ocean acidification from CO2 absorption effecting the PH balance is the theory they are claiming. You disagree or want to correct that be my guest. Why not ask them about their hypothesis?

Second your little chemistry quiz is irrelevant to the point and claims. If you want to have a chemistry quiz than create chemistry thread, and I will call my nephew hes a chemistry geek. But if you want to make a broad accusation about my explanation being wrong or claims being inaccurate, then have the decency to back up that claim rather than be a douchebag and try to change the subject to save your azz.....

What the fuck? I asked you for clarification and to expound on what you stated.

That's what educated individuals do. They don't go into a kung fu stance. I don't claim to be an expert on the chemistry of the ocean. I was under the impression you were. Obviously, by your response, you are just regurgitating information someone else collected and have no real idea how to justify it (scientifically). I don't need to hear from your nephew. I am sure if I dig hard enough, I can get the answers from people with Ph.D.'s in the matter.

Still refusing to show my error? Atypical internet douchebag..... You talk shit and and when confronted on it you divert and then confound.....

Classic... Then we can assume two things here; one you are a douchebag, and two you cannot show that I am incorrect despite your BS...

I didn't operate off the assumption that you had made an error. I operated off the assumption that you knew more about this than me. I see now that I was wrong about that.

Arguing the technicalities of this would be pointless with you, as you don't understand the basic science behind the matter.

In reality, I wasn't interested in arguing anything. I just wanted to see some chemistry get discussed.

How much you want to bet that gslack comes back with someone's blog or bogus website and claim that is evidence and peer reviewed science?

I do not mind blogs or websites, if they contain links to their sources of information. When they do not, or link to political sites, like the Heritage Foundation, then you know they are completely bogus and without merit.

well, naturally. But some blogs will pretend to link science, then completely spin what the actual science says and make up their own conclusions, then pretend they linked to actual science

Plus, the actual articles show he's talking out his ass. He claims CO2 alone can't change pH, yet my link explains why that's simply not true. He claims CO2 was 20X during cambrian, which is true, but conveniently ignores that O2 levels were also very very high, which would play a role in having that many levels, plus the very fact that the earth was very warm during that time with no polar ice caps, which to me supports global warming. We can't afford now to have the ice caps melt and raise ocean temps.

I only consider chemistry in the physiological context now (unfortunately, I really loved chemistry as an undergrad), but I live and die by this basic chemical equation that sums up respiratory and metabolic acidosis and alkalosis:

H20 + CO2 <=> H+ + HCO3-

If you think about it in context of La Chatlier's principle (i.e. holding your breath would increase CO2 and drive equilibrium towards the product side and cause a respiratory acidosis while hyperventilation would pull the equilibrium to the left and cause a respiratory alkalosis, which is why people breath into backs when they are hyperventilating, they are trying to raise their blood CO2 concentration and restore equilibrium) and you know the lab values, you can figure out any pathology behind those issues.

Not at all germane to the topic, but I thought I'd at least introduce something educational considering the crap that has been tossed about on here as "science".

I have seen a lot of that here. Several times these clowns have taken one sentence totally out of context, made a statement about what the article said, and when you link to the article, it says just the opposite.

Now I have done papers for classes in college, and one must always list their sources and referances. When I see bald statements concerning science without referance or sources, I know that person has never been involved in science of any kind.

Plus, the actual articles show he's talking out his ass. He claims CO2 alone can't change pH, yet my link explains why that's simply not true. He claims CO2 was 20X during cambrian, which is true, but conveniently ignores that O2 levels were also very very high, which would play a role in having that many levels, plus the very fact that the earth was very warm during that time with no polar ice caps, which to me supports global warming. We can't afford now to have the ice caps melt and raise ocean temps.

I only consider chemistry in the physiological context now (unfortunately, I really loved chemistry as an undergrad), but I live and die by this basic chemical equation that sums up respiratory and metabolic acidosis and alkalosis:

H20 + CO2 <=> H+ + HCO3-

If you think about it in context of La Chatlier's principle (i.e. holding your breath would increase CO2 and drive equilibrium towards the product side and cause a respiratory acidosis while hyperventilation would pull the equilibrium to the left and cause a respiratory alkalosis, which is why people breath into backs when they are hyperventilating, they are trying to raise their blood CO2 concentration and restore equilibrium) and you know the lab values, you can figure out any pathology behind those issues.

Not at all germane to the topic, but I thought I'd at least introduce something educational considering the crap that has been tossed about on here as "science".

The chemistry of the ocean is very complex, and there are several factors that are creating a problem right now. CO2 is not the only driver toward and acidic and anoxic ocean. NOx, through atmospheric and agricultural, is also creating a problem. We are conducting a grand experiment, with no turning back in our time, and without any ideas of what the parameters are concerning the effects.

HAHAHAHAHA! I just read this and my god is it pathetic......

The 4 of you all hold hands, and chant to gaia while you try and save your azzes from embarrassment?

I find more than a little bit funny that the 4 of you come together just after the idiot showed his ignorance. Oh and I loved the show too... LOL priceless!

"i just love chemistry, especially this one ImAdUmAz3. its the sum of all our IQ's to the tenth."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Pathetic show boys.... Now want to do us a rendition of Hamlet?

And now to report on this NEWLY DISCOVERED THREAT to the world, we go to our science reporter, Wanda K Which. What's the ocean look like out there, Wanda?

I'M MELTING!!!!!!

Melting-Md.jpg

53 million years ago, carbon dioxide in the atmosphere was much higher than today, and made the ocean much more acidic, such that only little carbonate is preserved in sediments recovered from those times. In contrast, during the buildup of ice on Antarctica, the ocean became less acidic very rapidly, and more carbonate was suddenly preserved in the deep ocean.

Earth&#8217;s Climate And Ocean Acidification History

So this is one of the problems:

The past two centuries of industrialisation showed a decrease of 0.1 unit of pH .The average acidity of the ocean level is presently just above 8. The sea absorbs 25 million tons of CO2 each day. If this continues at the same rate, the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) predicts a further decline of up to 0.35 by the end of the century. In such water the balance is tipping: calcification gets slower. Sea life that needs calcium carbonate for its shell (like mussels) or skeleton (like corals) are hindered. And at higher CO2 concentrations the mussel shell even dissolves, discovered NIOO biologist Frédéric Gazeau.

Ocean Acidification Predicted To Harm Shellfish, Aquaculture

Yet we read this:

So what happens to these animals over time? That&#8217;s what the researchers wanted to find out by examining vent mussels (Bathymodiolus brevior) living on the side of submarine volcanoes. The mussels, which have a calcium carbonate skeleton, are under constant stress, bathed by carbon dioxide bubbling out of the ground and from hydro-thermal vents deep beneath the surface.

And yet some of the mussels, gathered by remotely operated vehicles along the Mariano volcanic arc near Japan, were determined to be more than 40 years old and had physiologically adapted to living in their extreme environment.

Ocean Acidification: Understanding How Mussels Have Adapted To Extremely Acidic Waters Near Underwater Volcanoes

Note: The sea absorbs 25 million tonnes of CO2 per day. Volcaneos produce 200 million tonnes per day.

So either the oceans didn't turn acidic and kill them with 20 times the amount of CO2 in the air, or CO2 has no real measurable impact on PH to the extent if effecting the oceans like they claim. Either way its insane....
------------------------------------

This is an example of "false choice" and a reason why taking examples from millions of years ago, isn't always the logical thing to do. The corals of the past evolved during a time of high CO2 and therefore would be able to tolerate lower pH levels. Modern corals evolved during a time of lower CO2 and don't seem to tolerate an acidic environment as well. You can't use the past as a template for the future, if underlying conditions have changed.

LOL and this is an example of dancing even after the music has stopped.....

Well if I can't use the past as a a template than neither can your side if we use your own logic....

Perhaps our modern planet has evolved and adapted to absorb more CO2? Perhaps the entire theory of GHG's and their effects are overstated? Perhaps the CO2 millions of years ago was actually a bunch of magic beans which grew into killer spores that killed all the dinosaurs?

Freaking asinine argument man... Seriously, the very word calcite should have been a clue... Clacite and aragonite are both forms of calcium carbonite. Ca CO3 ...

Here is some info on them...

ARAGONITE (Calcium Carbonate)
Aragonite is technically unstable at normal surface temperatures and pressures. It is stable at higher pressures, but not at higher temperatures such that in order to keep aragonite stable with increasing temperature, the pressure must also increase. If aragonite is heated to 400 degrees C, it will spontaneously convert to calcite if the pressure is not also increased. Since calcite is the more stable mineral, why does aragonite even form? Well under certain conditions of formation, the crystallization of calcite is somehow discouraged and aragonite will form instead. The magnesium and salt content of the crystallizing fluid, the turbidity of the fluid and the time of crystallization are decidedly important factors, but there are perhaps others. Such areas as sabkhas and oolitic shoals tend to allow significant amounts of aragonite to form. Also metamorphism that includes high pressures and low temperatures (relatively) can form aragonite. After burial, given enough time, the aragonite will almost certainly alter to calcite. Sedimentologists are very interested in aragonite and calcite stability fields because the conversion of aragonite to calcite after deposition has a distinct effect on the character of the sedimentary rocks.

Calcite - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Calcite, like most carbonates, will dissolve with most forms of acid. Calcite can be either dissolved by groundwater or precipitated by groundwater, depending on several factors including the water temperature, pH, and dissolved ion concentrations. Although calcite is fairly insoluble in cold water, acidity can cause dissolution of calcite and release of carbon dioxide gas.

LOL I love that last part especially..... lets repeat that oh so embarrassing bit of science shall we? LOL

Calcite, like most carbonates, will dissolve with most forms of acid. Calcite can be either dissolved by groundwater or precipitated by groundwater, depending on several factors including the water temperature, pH, and dissolved ion concentrations. Although calcite is fairly insoluble in cold water, acidity can cause dissolution of calcite and release of carbon dioxide gas.

Dam that was a severe smackdown now wasn't it.......:lol:

SOOOOO, calcite is especially susceptible to acidity and PH factors? LOL so the whole claim you just made about them evolving in such conditions and resistant to CO2 induced acidification is one more example of BS posing as science..... Wow what an embarrassment... :lol::lol:

As soon as I posted this response above in here all 4 of the warmers came in like a platoon and did everything they could to confound, divert, and derail this topic.... Coincidence? Nah they knew dam good and well what it all meant. And they knew it was factual and true, and indefensible...

The above shows categorically and undeniably that despite 20x the amount of CO2 coral life forms formed and flourished. Which blows the entire claim that CO2 will cause the oceans to turn acidic.

Fact: the above evidence verifiable in the supplied links tells us that the two prime elements in coral are extremely unstable in acidic conditions.

Fact: If they are unstable in acidic conditions, then they could not have survived in the PH factors and acidification levels they claim that CO2 would have caused back then. But despite that the corals did thrive and even develop. Showing that either the theory of CO2 causing ocean acidification is incorrect, the levels of effect of CO2 on the oceans is incorrect, or corals somehow despite the very structure making it an impossibility developed magic powers and lived through an acid bath for hundreds of years....

SO which is it now warmers? Come on we know you have a ridiculous hypothesis to excuse this you always do.... Once more your BS is shown for the nonsense it is...

Your not driving the bus warmers. Just sit back and enjoy the ride on this globe. You want to help? Reduce, recycle and stop flying around the planet to environment conferences.

Hmm, so global warming is officially dead?
Anthropogenic Global Warming or Climate Change has never existed. The truth of that is just now penetrating the mind numbed masses to these sirens of pseudo-science who beach men on the rocky shoals of their 'facts' only to finally drown in stupidity.

So now we're creating a new threat that sez we're all gonna die by killing everything in the ocean and then us too as we become a giant petri dish of acid unless we adopt global fascism to 'stop it'.

This theory is so chock full of straight line assumptions and folly I can't help but mock it. By the same logic put forth, the only gas release from the internal combustion engine should be pure CO2. But we know how true that is. Same here. An ounce of truth for a ton of theoretical BS.

The 4 of you all hold hands, and chant to gaia while you try and save your azzes from embarrassment?

I find more than a little bit funny that the 4 of you come together just after the idiot showed his ignorance. Oh and I loved the show too... LOL priceless!

"i just love chemistry, especially this one ImAdUmAz3. its the sum of all our IQ's to the tenth."

:lol: You complained we didn't address anything, then when we did, this is your response. And you wonder why I wasn't even going to bother addressing our unsubstantiated bullshit, cause you are just another dumbfuck acting like a troll. Go back to elementary school kid

The above shows categorically and undeniably that despite 20x the amount of CO2 coral life forms formed and flourished. Which blows the entire claim that CO2 will cause the oceans to turn acidic.
-------------------------------

We trooped in to correct your mistakes. The above conclusion was shown to be illogical yesterday, yet you're repeating it today. The corals of the past flourished in high CO2 because they evolved in that environment. You can't make the same statement about today's corals. I'm not sure if you should go back to elementary school or sign up for Alzheimer's treatment!

We trooped in to correct your mistakes. The above conclusion was shown to be illogical yesterday, yet you're repeating it today. The corals of the past flourished in high CO2 because they evolved in that environment. You can't make the same statement about today's corals. I'm not sure if you should go back to elementary school or sign up for Alzheimer's treatment!

That's what they do. They spout unsupported bullshit, get corrected on it with scientifically supported evidence, then ignore that and continue to spout their unsubstantiated opinion as fact.
the
It's already been mentioned, like you said, that O2 levels were very high also, which plays a role, plus the level of alkalines in the water. Plus the fact that in the past the acidity changes was gradual, giving organisms time to adapt and evolve to be able to survive the slow changing acidity. Rapid changes in any environment has a drastic effect on organisms. But I know that he really doesn't care, but those at there that want to learn the facts, and not bullshit, there you go

also, they bring up that CO2 was 20X what it was today, but the earth had no polar ice and was very warm, supporting that increased CO2 in atmosphere leads to increased global temps.

:lol: You complained we didn't address anything, then when we did, this is your response. And you wonder why I wasn't even going to bother addressing our unsubstantiated bullshit, cause you are just another dumbfuck acting like a troll. Go back to elementary school kid

No you didnt address the point you came in with your pals to try and disrupt the thread and derail the topic to cover the flaw in your sides claims about ocean acidification.... Proof? You still avoided my re-posting of it....

yeah pretty telling huh dumazz.... yep, one more example of bullshit science and bullshit scientists like you, oldsocks, and chemistry boy....

Hey useless either use the quote feature and cite me correctly or ignore my posts. Grow up azzhole no one is impressed by your ignorant inability to quote people correctly. You don't look unique, you don't appear the rebel, you don't look smart or witty, all you do is look ignorant and immature...

Now point to where and when it was shown to be illogical liar... Can't can you azzhole... of course not all that happened was the troll brigade came and tried to bury it.... use the quote feature azzhole!

So either the oceans didn't turn acidic and kill them with 20 times the amount of CO2 in the air, or CO2 has no real measurable impact on PH to the extent if effecting the oceans like they claim. Either way its insane....
------------------------------------

This is an example of "false choice" and a reason why taking examples from millions of years ago, isn't always the logical thing to do. The corals of the past evolved during a time of high CO2 and therefore would be able to tolerate lower pH levels. Modern corals evolved during a time of lower CO2 and don't seem to tolerate an acidic environment as well. You can't use the past as a template for the future, if underlying conditions have changed.

LOL and this is an example of dancing even after the music has stopped.....

Well if I can't use the past as a a template than neither can your side if we use your own logic....

Perhaps our modern planet has evolved and adapted to absorb more CO2? Perhaps the entire theory of GHG's and their effects are overstated? Perhaps the CO2 millions of years ago was actually a bunch of magic beans which grew into killer spores that killed all the dinosaurs?

Freaking asinine argument man... Seriously, the very word calcite should have been a clue... Clacite and aragonite are both forms of calcium carbonite. Ca CO3 ...

Here is some info on them...

ARAGONITE (Calcium Carbonate)
Aragonite is technically unstable at normal surface temperatures and pressures. It is stable at higher pressures, but not at higher temperatures such that in order to keep aragonite stable with increasing temperature, the pressure must also increase. If aragonite is heated to 400 degrees C, it will spontaneously convert to calcite if the pressure is not also increased. Since calcite is the more stable mineral, why does aragonite even form? Well under certain conditions of formation, the crystallization of calcite is somehow discouraged and aragonite will form instead. The magnesium and salt content of the crystallizing fluid, the turbidity of the fluid and the time of crystallization are decidedly important factors, but there are perhaps others. Such areas as sabkhas and oolitic shoals tend to allow significant amounts of aragonite to form. Also metamorphism that includes high pressures and low temperatures (relatively) can form aragonite. After burial, given enough time, the aragonite will almost certainly alter to calcite. Sedimentologists are very interested in aragonite and calcite stability fields because the conversion of aragonite to calcite after deposition has a distinct effect on the character of the sedimentary rocks.

Calcite - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

LOL I love that last part especially..... lets repeat that oh so embarrassing bit of science shall we? LOL

Dam that was a severe smackdown now wasn't it.......:lol:

SOOOOO, calcite is especially susceptible to acidity and PH factors? LOL so the whole claim you just made about them evolving in such conditions and resistant to CO2 induced acidification is one more example of BS posing as science..... Wow what an embarrassment... :lol::lol:

REpost to show the truth and stop the attempts by the AGW troll brigade to bury this....

If sea life can live next to an undersea volcaneo vent of CO2 at 8 times the concentration that the air places in the sea, then you have little leg to stand on konradv, Dr gregg anld rocks et. al. Your alarmist rants are unfounded and quite frankly, annoying.

So that the good people of USMB are not misinformed by you, gslack and myself will continue to challenge you. By the way, in addition to the ice caps growing, so is the concensus against your little plot.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back