'Occupying' Houses--Is this happening in your area?

wavingrl

Nov 14, 2012
ATL
Occupy group takes over foreclosed Pittsburgh house | www.ajc.com

--The women say they have used up their time in shelters and have no other choice than to live on the street if they don't 'occupy' this house.

--Unless the bank files a complaint no legal action will be taken.

--Joe Beasley, of Rainbow/Push--'The concept of a bank saying 'This is our house' is just wrong...' or something to that effect.

The idea of moving oneself into a vacant house --that seems wrong, too.

The article concludes with--'They, the women, won't be the only ones going to jail...'

Not a great deal of comfort--the thought of adding legal problems to the overwhelming problems that motivated such a choice?

--The women say they have used up their time in shelters and have no other choice than to live on the street if they don't 'occupy' this house.

--Joe Beasley, of Rainbow/Push--'The concept of a bank saying 'This is our house' is just wrong...' or something to that effect.

The article concludes with--'They, the women, won't be the only ones going to jail...'

Not a great deal of comfort--the thought of adding legal problems to the overwhelming problems that motivated such a choice?

Its called squatting, and it has been done since the first person abandoned thier house but didnt sell thier property.

The problem is some "enlightened" communities extend renters protection to squatters,thus making it difficult to get them the hell out when the owner eventually decides to reclaim thier property.

http://occupyatlanta.org/about/

'We are the Revolution'--We are the 99%.

Occupy Atlanta is affiliated with Occupy Wall Street Movement, I learned.

One goal--To take back Atlanta from corporations.

I imagine we do have some laws on the books about that.

This particularly house may be an exception but financial institutions/banks/corporations would generally 'file complaints' if the trend became--'Choose a vacant house and move in.'

How do you think Detroit got to be Detroit. Abandoned homes, occupied by derelicts, fall into disrepair, usually end up destroyed in a fire.

It is entirely possible to buy a home in Detroit for a dollar. One dollar. That's how it got that way.

How do you think Detroit got to be Detroit. Abandoned homes, occupied by derelicts, fall into disrepair, usually end up destroyed in a fire.

It is entirely possible to buy a home in Detroit for a dollar. One dollar. That's how it got that way.

This sort of thing could have been going on in Atlanta for quite some time--and I just didn't know about it.

It sounds like those involved would like to 'take it to the court' --set a precedent or whatever and I believe that wish/desire will be granted.

Futile, more time and money wasted but that doesn't seem to matter these days.

Detroit should be a warning to all other cities--save yourselves before it is too late.

Atlanta has taken steps toward urban revitalization. Many plans have to pause/stop when funds are not available. The area in the article is an area that needs attention badly. What the result of this will be --I don't know. Maybe there is another group that can offer assistance to these women. fingers crossed.

It's almost impossible here in Southern Nevada to see a vacant house with a For Sale sign. Realtors have stopped putting them up for 2 reasons -

thieves come in and steal everything movable

and

squatters come in to take them over -

oh yeah - they also make outstanding grow-houses for marijuana! :eusa_drool:

In England squatters take over homes where the owners are just out for a short period of time. They are on vacation or are having remodeling done. It might be a rental property awaiting a new tenant.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/05/w...ighten-anti-squatter-laws.html?pagewanted=all

It's moving towards that here, except here, we aren't as passive as the British.

You're behind the times. In England the law has been changed and squatting in residential properties has now been made a criminal offence.

New law 'shuts door' on squatters

Squatters will face up to six months in prison and so-called squatters' rights scrapped as it becomes a criminal offence in England and Wales.
Ministers said the move would shut the door on squatters once and for all and help protect hard-working homeowners.

New law 'shuts door' on squatters - Home News - UK - The Independent

I've lived in Michigan all my life....and i've gotten to HATE Detroit!

Typical Occuturds....no respect for the law.

Forum List

Back