Occupy Wall Street: The Movement Grows

So, let me get this straight. When some idiot TEA Partier says something dumb, it's acceptable to consider that statement as representative of TEA Partiers.

I don't recall saying anything about the Tea Party on this thread, or even on this website. How about we stick to the subject at hand and not go off on tangents, shall we?

See, that's gonna be your problem. You seem to think that because you did not mention the TEA parties in this thread - or even on this website - that somehow makes the point irrelevant. But it is not. The question remains. How is it ok for one side but not for the other? Moreover, why is it when the TEA parties protested the same issues, that was bad, and now that the left have finally smelled the coffee (albeit they have, in their usual overly emotional way, blamed the wrong people)..... how is it now right?

How is it ok for one side but not for the other?

If you really want an answer to that, it's not. It's equally wrong for both sides. Nor have I ever said that all Tea Party members, or most of them, believed the same way that one Tea Party member did, unless there was substantial evidence that that was the case. And anyone who did, was wrong.

Of course, that's assuming the person who wrote those demands even WAS an OWS participant as opposed to a right-wing hoaxter.

The Truth Behind The Occupy Wall Street Marines
"In this case, what started as a muddled post by a friend of another friend’s post on Facebook ended up as a statement of fact in a major speech made by former White House green collar jobs czar Van Jones at the Take Back The American Dream Conference conference on Monday. "
No Marines putting the boot to cop jerk-faces? :frownyface:

It is a shame.
There needs to be protests and plenty of them on Wall Street.
But alas - they have allowed themselves to be completely taken over by the fringe groups and now they are a joke.
Perhaps the Tea Party could have an "alternate" protest on Wall Street...now that would be beautiful. Haha...just how would the left media deal with that?
Actually the protests aren't as necessary as investigations and prosecutions.

I think another point Beck made is very salient here. Where is the justice department an this administration on the supposed wrong doings?

The housing bubble was caused by something, why is there no criminal investigation into Freddie and Fannie or any of these 'criminal' banker? Why are there just more bailouts for the same "criminals" that caused the crisis in the first place by their reckoning? Why is not legislation being drafted to stop this from EVER happening again?

Capitalism is not the problem here. Corruption and cronyism is. Prosecute the bad guys, you don't dynamite the whole damn system.

Anyone can see the need for investigations into wall street since the early 80's. But it wont happen because it might benefit the working middle class who has now been deemed the scapegoat.

Great. Perhaps you could answer the question I keep asking of the protest supporters. What would be the economic impact of the 11 demands. If that's too hard.... just answer this one... what would be the economic impact of a $20 ph min wage?
There is no official list of demands.
The corporate media proves once again why they can’t be trusted, this time putting out a bullshit list of supposed “Official Demands” then attacking the fake demands as being Marxist.
Corporate Media Reports Some Bullshit List As The Demands Of #OccupyWallStreet Then Attacks Them

Numerous reporters, commentators and analysts have pointed to the Wall Street protesters “List of Demands” and criticized it for including demands they dislike or failing to demands which they think are essential.

But one of the main organizers for the protests just told me that – at this point – all such lists are just the suggestions of various individuals and not the official demands of the protesters as a whole.

I can announce with 100% confidence that – at this point – there is no official list of demands...

everyone knows what “We’re the 99%” means, and that the failure of the richest 1% to follow the rule of law or the wishes of the American people, and their corruption and manipulation of the economic and political system are some of the core structural problems which must be changed.
No, There Is NOT a List of Official Demands from the Protesters - Washington's Blog

An economic system that is dependent on debt to function is a failed ponzi scheme, and until the fed is killed and the right to coin the nations currency is restored to its rightful place, the economic slavery will continue. The fed reserve must be destroyed.

The greedy one percent that bankrupted the nation, morally and fiscally, is now facing its greatest fear: a public uprising against their accumulation of wealth and power, and with that, the best chance at change in the post-War era.

It started in New York City, as hundreds of activists literally occupied Wall Street, setting up a tent city in a nearby park and organizing daily protests. For two weeks, the movement squeaked by on minimal coverage. The national media ignored the protests, even as the protesters dug in and redoubled their efforts.

Source: Occupy Wall Street: The Movement Grows | Benzinga

I haven't been so happy about what I've seen on the news since the writer's strike. It's about time the 99% of the American public stood up and railed against the theft of our democracy.

At this point, the right seems to be in transition from ridiculing the protest to demonizing it. This is a sign that it has grown in power to the point of scaring them.

Great. Perhaps you could answer the question I keep asking of the protest supporters. What would be the economic impact of the 11 demands. If that's too hard.... just answer this one... what would be the economic impact of a $20 ph min wage?
There is no official list of demands.
The corporate media proves once again why they can’t be trusted, this time putting out a bullshit list of supposed “Official Demands” then attacking the fake demands as being Marxist.
Corporate Media Reports Some Bullshit List As The Demands Of #OccupyWallStreet Then Attacks Them

Numerous reporters, commentators and analysts have pointed to the Wall Street protesters “List of Demands” and criticized it for including demands they dislike or failing to demands which they think are essential.

But one of the main organizers for the protests just told me that – at this point – all such lists are just the suggestions of various individuals and not the official demands of the protesters as a whole.

I can announce with 100% confidence that – at this point – there is no official list of demands...

everyone knows what “We’re the 99%” means, and that the failure of the richest 1% to follow the rule of law or the wishes of the American people, and their corruption and manipulation of the economic and political system are some of the core structural problems which must be changed.
No, There Is NOT a List of Official Demands from the Protesters - Washington's Blog

An economic system that is dependent on debt to function is a failed ponzi scheme, and until the fed is killed and the right to coin the nations currency is restored to its rightful place, the economic slavery will continue. The fed reserve must be destroyed.

I find it quite entertaining that the same people who used these tactics against the original protesters (ie the TEA Parties) are the ones whining about these tactics being used now.

Hypocrites.

At this point, the right seems to be in transition from ridiculing the protest to demonizing it. This is a sign that it has grown in power to the point of scaring them.

Why? did Wall Street and Capitalism fall? Did you throw your blackberry away.. rid yourself of all things capital?

I'd rather have this one question answered:

If we do away with capitalism, what is it to be replaced with and how will this be implemented?

I suspect the real answer is damning to the movement.

Who said do away with capitalism? There MUST be regulation (those regulations used to support capitalists from catching their tails and eating them), and these capitalists who make full use of other regulations that favor and safeguard them, who use our commons, and make full use (often greater use) of every other amenity of our government should pay their fair share of up keeping and holding the systems they take advantage of.

:lol:

Why am I TOTALLY reminded of my own posts about the teaparty right now?

This is what the media does to the teaparties and is now doing to the wallstreet protestors, lie about them then demonized based on the lies.

;)

The greedy one percent that bankrupted the nation, morally and fiscally, is now facing its greatest fear: a public uprising against their accumulation of wealth and power, and with that, the best chance at change in the post-War era.

It started in New York City, as hundreds of activists literally occupied Wall Street, setting up a tent city in a nearby park and organizing daily protests. For two weeks, the movement squeaked by on minimal coverage. The national media ignored the protests, even as the protesters dug in and redoubled their efforts.

Source: Occupy Wall Street: The Movement Grows | Benzinga

Are they mad at Obama too for giving billions to these banks and wall street?

Just curious.

fuck yes.

Actually the whole thing should be called "Occupy a small park somewhere near wall street".

No actual occupation of any wall street businesses has occured. no disruption of business has occured.

What happened to actual protests? Ones that would get you 30 days in the lockup and at least make you look like you cared about whatever cause you support?

That won't work in NYC.

Cops are very well versed in how to deal with those sorts of protests..and very quickly.

But thats what you want as a protester. You want to try to go to point X, and force the authorites to stop you. Make them arrest you and incarcerate you, and show everyone else why you are doing this, and why the authorities are wrong for trying to stop you.

I think there are two reasons why this isn't happening. One is a lack of direction. When people got hosed and had dogs sic'ed on them in the deep south they were fighting for removal of segregation laws, a direct, feasible goal. When Gandhi forced the british authorities to remove his followers by force during multiple protests they were demanding full independence, again a tangible goal.

These protesters are too disorganzied to do anything but basically squat in some private park, block traffic from time to time, and whine alot about how the cops are preventing them from doing whatever they want to do. There is no real message, and until there is one I refuse to take this seriously, or give the protesters the due consideration they are asking for.

Forum List

Back