Occupy Wall Street: The Movement Grows

The greedy one percent that bankrupted the nation, morally and fiscally, is now facing its greatest fear: a public uprising against their accumulation of wealth and power, and with that, the best chance at change in the post-War era.

It started in New York City, as hundreds of activists literally occupied Wall Street, setting up a tent city in a nearby park and organizing daily protests. For two weeks, the movement squeaked by on minimal coverage. The national media ignored the protests, even as the protesters dug in and redoubled their efforts.

Source: Occupy Wall Street: The Movement Grows | Benzinga

Are they mad at Obama too for giving billions to these banks and wall street?

Just curious.

Yeah..I think they are..

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yrT-0Xbrn4&feature=player_embedded]New York Observer: Exclusive "Occupy Wall Street" Unaired Fox Footage - YouTube[/ame]

But the alternative party would do the same exact thing. Without Frank/Dodd.

So, let me get this straight. When some idiot TEA Partier says something dumb, it's acceptable to consider that statement as representative of TEA Partiers.

I don't recall saying anything about the Tea Party on this thread, or even on this website. How about we stick to the subject at hand and not go off on tangents, shall we?

The greedy one percent that bankrupted the nation, morally and fiscally, is now facing its greatest fear: a public uprising against their accumulation of wealth and power, and with that, the best chance at change in the post-War era.

It started in New York City, as hundreds of activists literally occupied Wall Street, setting up a tent city in a nearby park and organizing daily protests. For two weeks, the movement squeaked by on minimal coverage. The national media ignored the protests, even as the protesters dug in and redoubled their efforts.

Source: Occupy Wall Street: The Movement Grows | Benzinga

Are they mad at Obama too for giving billions to these banks and wall street?

Just curious.

Yeah..I think they are..

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yrT-0Xbrn4&feature=player_embedded]New York Observer: Exclusive "Occupy Wall Street" Unaired Fox Footage - YouTube[/ame]

But the alternative party would do the same exact thing. Without Frank/Dodd.
Beck called this one months ago. They're demanding ideological purity to anarchocommusociafascism.

P-BO just ain't pure enough for them.

The occupiers falsely believe that they are supported in a populist movement when it's not true. If the majority of Americans who know that the policies of weath redistribution cause the current economic mess stood up and marched on the protesters it would be the best thing to happen.

It is a shame.
There needs to be protests and plenty of them on Wall Street.
But alas - they have allowed themselves to be completely taken over by the fringe groups and now they are a joke.
Perhaps the Tea Party could have an "alternate" protest on Wall Street...now that would be beautiful. Haha...just how would the left media deal with that?

These kids don't have anything to do or contribute but it sure looks like fun to get out on the street and take a mob mentality of screaming and shouting. Right now it seems that everyone knows what is wrong but NO ONE knows what to do about it except to protect their seat in congress. If you think wall street is corrupt check out our congressmen and president. They have voted themselves one sweet deal. I am retiring on SS mostly because I didn't save when I should have and I am not complaining but these congressmen are raping us and they haven't lost one nights sleep over it.

IAm, like it or not, the leftist insurgency is much closer to the mainstream of America than the Tea Party. Take a look at this, which, unlike the "eleven demands," really is close to an "official" declaration. (There is no such thing, but most OWS participants would agree with most of this.)

As we gather together in solidarity to express a feeling of mass injustice, we must not lose sight of what brought us together. We write so that all people who feel wronged by the corporate forces of the world can know that we are your allies.

As one people, united, we acknowledge the reality: that the future of the human race requires the cooperation of its members; that our system must protect our rights, and upon corruption of that system, it is up to the individuals to protect their own rights, and those of their neighbors; that a democratic government derives its just power from the people, but corporations do not seek consent to extract wealth from the people and the Earth; and that no true democracy is attainable when the process is determined by economic power. We come to you at a time when corporations, which place profit over people, self-interest over justice, and oppression over equality, run our governments. We have peaceably assembled here, as is our right, to let these facts be known.

They have taken our houses through an illegal foreclosure process, despite not having the original mortgage.
They have taken bailouts from taxpayers with impunity, and continue to give Executives exorbitant bonuses.
They have perpetuated inequality and discrimination in the workplace based on age, the color of one’s skin, sex, gender identity and sexual orientation.
They have poisoned the food supply through negligence, and undermined the farming system through monopolization.
They have profited off of the torture, confinement, and cruel treatment of countless animals, and actively hide these practices.
They have continuously sought to strip employees of the right to negotiate for better pay and safer working conditions.
They have held students hostage with tens of thousands of dollars of debt on education, which is itself a human right.
They have consistently outsourced labor and used that outsourcing as leverage to cut workers’ healthcare and pay.
They have influenced the courts to achieve the same rights as people, with none of the culpability or responsibility.
They have spent millions of dollars on legal teams that look for ways to get them out of contracts in regards to health insurance.
They have sold our privacy as a commodity.
They have used the military and police force to prevent freedom of the press. They have deliberately declined to recall faulty products endangering lives in pursuit of profit.
They determine economic policy, despite the catastrophic failures their policies have produced and continue to produce.
They have donated large sums of money to politicians, who are responsible for regulating them.
They continue to block alternate forms of energy to keep us dependent on oil.
They continue to block generic forms of medicine that could save people’s lives or provide relief in order to protect investments that have already turned a substantial profit.
They have purposely covered up oil spills, accidents, faulty bookkeeping, and inactive ingredients in pursuit of profit.
They purposefully keep people misinformed and fearful through their control of the media.
They have accepted private contracts to murder prisoners even when presented with serious doubts about their guilt.
They have perpetuated colonialism at home and abroad. They have participated in the torture and murder of innocent civilians overseas.
They continue to create weapons of mass destruction in order to receive government contracts.

To the people of the world,

We, the New York City General Assembly occupying Wall Street in Liberty Square, urge you to assert your power.

Exercise your right to peaceably assemble; occupy public space; create a process to address the problems we face, and generate solutions accessible to everyone.

To all communities that take action and form groups in the spirit of direct democracy, we offer support, documentation, and all of the resources at our disposal.

Join us and make your voices heard!

Source: Declaration of the Occupation of New York City | NYC General Assembly

While there are a few points on the list of grievances that probably don't have majority support, most of them do. This is a left-leaning movement, but very much a mainstream one; it is even attracting support from self-described Tea Party people, because some of those grievances are shared by populists all the way across the political spectrum.

Actually the whole thing should be called "Occupy a small park somewhere near wall street".

No actual occupation of any wall street businesses has occured. no disruption of business has occured.

What happened to actual protests? Ones that would get you 30 days in the lockup and at least make you look like you cared about whatever cause you support?

I'd rather have this one question answered:

If we do away with capitalism, what is it to be replaced with and how will this be implemented?

I suspect the real answer is damning to the movement.

I've been asking that question for months and cannot get an answer.

"The thousands of indefatigable Wall Street protestors, risking their eyes and recording equipment against Wall Street’s personal jack-booted thugs in the NYPD, recently garnered even more support– the US Marines. That’s the type of support that may make an NYPD cop think twice before he decides to go all Tiananmen Square on a group of teenage girls, armed with chalk and cardboard signs."

Ward Reilly said:
“I’m heading up there tonight in my dress blues. So far, 15 of my fellow marine buddies are meeting me there, also in Uniform. I want to send the following message to Wall St and Congress: I didn’t fight for Wall St. I fought for America. Now it’s Congress’ turn.

My true hope, though, is that we Veterans can act as first line of defense between the police and the protester. If they want to get to some protesters so they can mace them, they will have to get through the Fucking Marine Corps first. Let’s see a cop mace a bunch of decorated war vets."

Sweet!

the morons are marching the dow is down there goes your hopes of retirement when you see a liberal unwashed and shitty say thank you..

Q. Where can you find Life Biggest Losers?

A. ...Wall Street, setting up a tent city in a nearby park and organizing daily protests. For two weeks, the movement squeaked by on minimal coverage. The national media ignored the protests, even as the protesters dug in and redoubled their efforts.

The protesters can't imagine that anyone would oppose them. There should be a citizen march on the protests. Wade in with baseball bats and tire irons. Give the protesters the spanking their parents should have given them.

No marines are going to come.

I wish they would. If the military would split, the way the general population has split, we'd get somewhere.

That's because it always was, still is, and always will be a straw man. Nobody is advocating doing away with capitalism. Therefore, asking what to replace it with is a non-question.

Tipsy, I assure you that if you try any of that crap you will a) end up in jail, and b) provide the movement with still more support.

Last edited:

That's because it always was, still is, and always will be a straw man. Nobody is advocating doing away with capitalism. Therefore, asking what to replace it with is a non-question.

Tipsy, I assure you that if you try any of that crap you will a) end up in jail, and b) provide the movement with still more support.

hey asswipe,, those people down there are ANTI fucking capitalism.. or didn't you know that?

those people down there are ANTI fucking capitalism.. or didn't you know that?

No, and neither do you. Because it's not true. Being opposed to the excesses of capitalism, to unregulated capitalism, or to capitalist corruption of the government, is not the same as being anti-capitalist.

those people down there are ANTI fucking capitalism.. or didn't you know that?

No, and neither do you. Because it's not true. Being opposed to the excesses of capitalism, to unregulated capitalism, or to capitalist corruption of the government, is not the same as being anti-capitalist.

funny ain't it.. cause that's exactly what they're saying..you iz a bigger moron than originally thought, get your headd outta yer assss so you can hear the people down der.

Actually the whole thing should be called "Occupy a small park somewhere near wall street".

No actual occupation of any wall street businesses has occured. no disruption of business has occured.

What happened to actual protests? Ones that would get you 30 days in the lockup and at least make you look like you cared about whatever cause you support?

That won't work in NYC.

Cops are very well versed in how to deal with those sorts of protests..and very quickly.

funny ain't it.. cause that's exactly what they're saying.

That they are against the excesses of capitalism, and want to get corporate influence out of government, and regulate capitalism, yes.

That they want to destroy it or obliterate it, no.

Forum List

Back