Occupy Wall Street protesters can return to park with tents

Those who labeled the Tea Partiers 'Racists' were just very petty hatemongers. They're just pushing their petty political agenda. In reality,both protest groups have very valid points. The Politicians and Wall Street have pushed the People too hard. Now they're just humiliating the People. I really couldn't believe the story a girl told me about what WalMart put her through just to get a miserable $7.00 an hr. job. The invasion of privacy was astounding.

They had her Social Security Number,they forced a Drug Test on her,they conducted a full credit check on her,and then conducted an investigation into her background. I mean,for what? She was only applying for a low wage entry-level position for God's sake. She wasn't applying for work at the CIA. Anyway,she found something better but Walmart still has all her information on file. And that's the case anywhere people apply for jobs. To me these are awful humiliations. I can totally understand people getting so angry. She had to turn over her life for a terrible slave-labor job. Something is wrong and i'm glad people are standing up. I support both the OWS and Tea Party protesters.

I worked for Walmart for a few weeks, they did give a drug test (nothing wrong with that).
Yes, they do take your SS #....take a guess why they would do that? good grief!

They never did an investigation into my background. They did ask if I ever was convicted of a felony.....big f'ing deal. Also, they pay better than $7.00 an hour...not by much, but lets get the facts correct.

Times have changed. They fully investigate your personal background and that may include your credit situation. And for obvious reasons they do require your SS# and it does stay in their files. But I am glad you had a good experience with Walmart. I was just telling a story i was told recently. I've actually heard even worse invasion of privacy stories by companies like MacDonalds. One included a person having their hair almost completely chopped off for a Drug Test. This stuff really has gotten out of hand. I mean how much should a poor man or woman have to go through for a shitty slave-labor job? The workers do need help now. That's why i have to support Private Unions. The Government & Corporations are just shitting on workers now. They better start helping themselves because no one else will.

Geeeze, it was just a couple of years ago....times haven't changed.
Maybe she was just embellishing her story for you as a willing ear.
I bet my SS# is still with Union Bank of Ca. where I worked 38 years ago....what's the point? Drug tests are required with most jobs these days...they aren't forcing it on you, you don't have to work there.
I only worked at Walmart for a couple of weeks...I wouldn't call it a good experience, but I do like to be fair to any company

Those who labeled the Tea Partiers 'Racists' were just very petty hatemongers. They're just pushing their petty political agenda. In reality,both protest groups have very valid points. The Politicians and Wall Street have pushed the People too hard. Now they're just humiliating the People. I really couldn't believe the story a girl told me about what WalMart put her through just to get a miserable $7.00 an hr. job. The invasion of privacy was astounding.

They had her Social Security Number,they forced a Drug Test on her,they conducted a full credit check on her,and then conducted an investigation into her background. I mean,for what? She was only applying for a low wage entry-level position for God's sake. She wasn't applying for work at the CIA. Anyway,she found something better but Walmart still has all her information on file. And that's the case anywhere people apply for jobs. To me these are awful humiliations. I can totally understand people getting so angry. She had to turn over her life for a terrible slave-labor job. Something is wrong and i'm glad people are standing up. I support both the OWS and Tea Party protesters.

Ah, pardon me but what happened to that girl is what you DO when you hire someone in this day and age. As an employer by law you need to have a prospective employees I-9 information before they are allowed to work, which means you need their Social Security number. It used to be that employers could go on their "instincts" about an employee but now you're potentially held responsible if you've failed to adequately check out the background of an employee who subsequently does something wrong. Employers do costly credit checks, drug screenings and criminal checks these days to protect themselves from legal action not because they have a need to "humiliate" people.

Well the end-result is a whole lot of humiliation. I understand the SS# thing,i was just stating that whether or not you get the job,your SS# stays in their files. And all of the other information they obtained about you does as well. This isn't only true of Walmart. All jobs you apply for will have your private information on record regardless if you ever worked there or not. I just think the Corporations and Government are out of control. Who stands up for the Worker anymore?

Wait a second...why are you blaming businesses for simply trying to protect themselves from huge law suits? You've got to understand that, despite claims here to the contrary, businesses generally do things with one intention...staying in business. We don't comply with I-9 regulations because we ENJOY busting people's chops over proper ID...we do it because if we don't then we are liable for HUGE fines from the government. We don't spend large amounts of money on drug tests or criminal background checks because we get some thrill out of having people pee into a cup...we do it to protect the business from a lawsuit that could put everyone who works for the company out of work.

As for who stands up for the worker? That would be the army of attorneys filing wrongful termination cases across the country as we speak.

Freedom of assembly - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The United States constitution explicitly provides for 'the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances'" in the First Amendment.

why are conservatives here opposed to the above?

A better question is why are you making the point that they are?

Most conservatives have no problem with people peaceably assembling (as the Tea Party did) what they have a problem with is people assembling with the goal of shutting down a city, a government office or a business (as liberals have done in both the OWS protests and when they occupied the Wisconsin State House). That form of "assembly" isn't protected by the First Amendment of the Constitution.

Freedom of assembly - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The United States constitution explicitly provides for 'the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances'" in the First Amendment.

why are conservatives here opposed to the above?

Why are morons like you unable to understand that this right does not extend to private property, unless the protestor OWNS said property.

I have a right to protest the government for a redress of any grievance... but I do NOT have the right to do so in your front yard.

The park in NY is 'privately owned', but zoned for 'public use'. It is apparently a very vague area as to who can or cannot use the park, for what purpose, and who can or cannot prevent them.

what grounds did the court grant a injunction ? if I recall, the park law/rules etc. clearly states there will be no structures, sleeping etc etc...I don't get it....

I hear what some of you are saying but how long can the Government & Corporations keep treating Citizens like wild animals and think they wont come back to bite them? Of course there's gonna be more uprisings. But that's all on Government & Corporations. They caused it all. So spare us all the drug testing and personal privacy invasions for your shitty slave labor jobs. It aint worth it anymore. Now the People are just pissed. But i guess that's the only way to get through to Government & Corporations. You gotta get out there and stir things up. I really do respect the OWS and Tea Party protesters. It takes real guts to get out there and make things happen. I wish them well.

more law breakign by OWs protestors...
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/16/nyregion/police-begin-clearing-zuccotti-park-of-protesters.html
Later in the morning, the police cleared a lot at Canal Street, about a mile away, where some of the protesters had gone after the sweep at their encampment in Zuccotti Park. About two dozen people were arrested at the privately owned Canal Street lot, which the protesters had entered after snipping the chain-link fence with bolt cutters. At least four journalists were also led out in handcuffs, including a reporter and photographer for The Associated Press and a reporter from The Daily News.

I hear what some of you are saying but how long can the Government & Corporations keep treating Citizens like wild animals and think they wont come back to bite them? Of course there's gonna be more uprisings. But that's all on Government & Corporations. They caused it all. So spare us all the drug testing and personal privacy invasions for your shitty slave labor jobs. It aint worth it anymore. Now the People are just pissed. But i guess that's the only way to get through to Government & Corporations. You gotta get out there and stir things up. I really do respect the OWS and Tea Party protesters. It takes real guts to get out there and make things happen. I wish them well.

Oh, please...businesses are not treating people like wild animals. That's nothing more than hyperbole.

Please stop with the over the top...drama queen statements that do nothing to address real problems. A minimum wage job isn't slave labor...it's an entry level job that if you do it well, will lead to a better job. It isn't something you're supposed to use to support a family of four.

Must be nice to be able to wake up a corrupt judge in the middle of the night who is sympathetic with your position to issue orders without hearings.

How about taking the judge out to dinner ahead of arguing your case in his very court.

Oh, please...businesses are not treating people like wild animals. That's nothing more than hyperbole.

Please stop with the over the top...drama queen statements that do nothing to address real problems. A minimum wage job isn't slave labor...it's an entry level job that if you do it well, will lead to a better job. It isn't something you're supposed to use to support a family of four.

Well they gotta tell ya something i guess. Making people jump through hoops with drug tests and personal privacy invasions is wrong and does seem Un-American. These poor people are not applying at NASA or the CIA. So just get off their backs for God's sake. They're only gonna be flipping burgers and mopping floors. Isn't that enough humiliation for them? Do they have to be subjected to the personal privacy invasions for even more humiliation? Like i said,now they can keep their shitty slave-labor jobs. Because now the People are just pissed. They don't care anymore. When you take someone's humanity,they no longer care about behaving like civilized humans. There will be more uprisings and there should be. Shame on Government & Corporations. They caused it all.

Last edited:
NEW RULING:

Judge backs city's ban on Occupy Wall Street protesters' tents at Zuccotti

Hours after baton-wielding cops cleared Occupy Wall Street protesters and their tents from
Zuccotti Park on Tuesday, a judge backed the clean sweep.

The ruling by Manhattan Supreme Court Justice Michael Stallman says that city can stop protesters from bringing tents, tarps and other camping equipment into the park.

Read more: Judge backs city's ban on Occupy Wall Street protesters' tents at Zuccotti - NY Daily News

Being reported now on Fox radio - NY court rules, no tents or sleeping bags in the park. No camping by OWS protesters allowed.

This is disappointing. Government & Corporations win again. But that's ok,gotta keep fighting anyway. When you have nothing,you have nothing to lose. And that's the position Government & Corporations have put Millions of Americans in. These uprisings will continue.

This is disappointing. Government & Corporations win again. But that's ok,gotta keep fighting anyway. When you have nothing,you have nothing to lose. And that's the position Government & Corporations have put Millions of Americans in. These uprisings will continue.

Winning?

The order does not prevent protesters from gathering in the park, but says their First Amendment rights not do include remaining there, "along with their tents, structures, generators, and other installations to the exclusion of the owner's reasonable rights and duties to maintain Zuccotti Park."

New York court upholds eviction of "Occupy" protesters - CNN.com

The owners of the park do not have any rights in your opinion?

Only hours after the NYPD cleared Zuccotti Park of Occupy Wall Street protesters in a controversial 2 a.m. raid, the National Lawyers Guild obtained a court order telling the city to let the protesters return -- tents, tarps and all. :clap2:

More here: Metro - National Lawyers Guild: Occupy Wall Street protesters can return to park with tents

not so fast Sparky...they can return but NO camping gear

Finally our Mayor showed some balls and a judge showed some brains. :lol: :clap2::clap2:

Well they gotta tell ya something i guess. Making people jump through hoops with drug tests and personal privacy invasions is wrong and does seem Un-American. These poor people are not applying at NASA or the CIA. So just get off their backs for God's sake. They're only gonna be flipping burgers and mopping floors. Isn't that enough humiliation for them? Do they have to be subjected to the personal privacy invasions for even more humiliation? Like i said,now they can keep their shitty slave-labor jobs. Because now the People are just pissed. They don't care anymore. When you take someone's humanity,they no longer care about behaving like civilized humans. There will be more uprisings and there should be. Shame on Government & Corporations. They caused it all.

Why is there "humiliation" in flipping burgers or mopping floors? It's an entry level job. It's what you do to get your foot in the door. Where you go from there is totally up to you. I cleaned up a nightclub after hours to help put myself through college. Cleaning up vomit was by no means glamorous but it wasn't humiliating either...it was a JOB...it was what they paid me to do. If I were still doing that same job thirty years later then I guess I might feel embarrassed but not humiliated. The "job" hadn't changed and if I were still working it then I wouldn't have changed either. So why would I expect more for not doing more?

Some keep hoping these uprisings will end but it's not gonna happen. When you strip people of their humanity they will keep on fighting to the bitter end. What other choice do they have? Government & Corporations have wronged the People for too many years. Now people have no choice but to fight back. Families just aren't getting fed and rents/mortgages aren't being paid on shitty $7.00 an hr. jobs. Wages are competely stagnant while costs of living continue to skyrocket. Did they really think the People wouldn't get pissed at some point? As far as many American are concerned it's "Shove your shitty slave-labor jobs up your ass!" The People have been wronged. It's tiime to make it right.

Forum List

Back