Occupy Wall Street protesters can return to park with tents

Let 'em back in.... but I think the police should go thru every hour handing out citations for litter, making drug arrests, etc

And... if the world of reality were anything like the bizarro world of the right-wing media, this would be an effective tactic.

Fortunately, it's not.

what the hell is wrong with ewe? according to the left the Tea Party are a violent bunch of old white racists.. don't wish success on old violent white racists you big dummie..

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Those who labeled the Tea Partiers 'Racists' were just very petty hatemongers. They're just pushing their petty political agenda. In reality,both protest groups have very valid points. The Politicians and Wall Street have pushed the People too hard. Now they're just humiliating the People. I really couldn't believe the story a girl told me about what WalMart put her through just to get a miserable $7.00 an hr. job. The invasion of privacy was astounding.

They had her Social Security Number,they forced a Drug Test on her,they conducted a full credit check on her,and then conducted an investigation into her background. I mean,for what? She was only applying for a low wage entry-level position for God's sake. She wasn't applying for work at the CIA. Anyway,she found something better but Walmart still has all her information on file. And that's the case anywhere people apply for jobs. To me these are awful humiliations. I can totally understand people getting so angry. She had to turn over her life for a terrible slave-labor job. Something is wrong and i'm glad people are standing up. I support both the OWS and Tea Party protesters.

Honey! they didn't force anything on her. If she didn't want to do it all she had to do was walk away.

If only life were that simple. People need work. Does she really have a choice? Walmart actually violated the poor girl. And for what? Their shitty low paying slave job? So now they have her Social Security Number,they know everything about her financially,and they even know her personal life as well. I know Walmart isn't alone in this humiliation stuff though. I'm just telling the story i was told. This is why i don't have a problem with Private Unions. Apparently no one else is willing to stand up for the workers anymore. The Government & Corporations are just shitting on them these days. I can totally understand the anger. I believe much more unrest is coming. I just don't see much changing for Americans in the future. Unrest is inevitable.

This understandable anger is all on the Politicians and Wall Street. They have created it. They've pushed the people too much. And now the People are pushing back. When you strip humans of their humanity,they will become wild beasts. They've taken and taken and taken from the People. Just look at what they put a person through just to get a low paying slave labor job at Walmart or MacDonalds. You would think these people were applying for work at the CIA or something. They have taken too much of our rights away and now the People are beginning to see that.

I mean come on,why humiliate a person for a crappy $7.00 an hr. job? They're already being humiliated enough just taking that job. Then they force them to take Drug Tests,and be subjected to full credit and Police background checks on them. I mean talk about a humiliating invasion of privacy? How could they think the People wouldn't eventually rise up in anger? I really do hope the OWS and Tea Party protesters are successful. It's time for the People to be heard.

what the hell is wrong with ewe? according to the left the Tea Party are a violent bunch of old white racists.. don't wish success on old violent white racists you big dummie..

Those who labeled the Tea Partiers 'Racists' were just very petty hatemongers. They're just pushing their petty political agenda. In reality,both protest groups have very valid points. The Politicians and Wall Street have pushed the People too hard. Now they're just humiliating the People. I really couldn't believe the story a girl told me about what WalMart put her through just to get a miserable $7.00 an hr. job. The invasion of privacy was astounding.

They had her Social Security Number,they forced a Drug Test on her,they conducted a full credit check on her,and then conducted an investigation into her background. I mean,for what? She was only applying for a low wage entry-level position for God's sake. She wasn't applying for work at the CIA. Anyway,she found something better but Walmart still has all her information on file. And that's the case anywhere people apply for jobs. To me these are awful humiliations. I can totally understand people getting so angry. She had to turn over her life for a terrible slave-labor job. Something is wrong and i'm glad people are standing up. I support both the OWS and Tea Party protesters.

I worked for Walmart for a few weeks, they did give a drug test (nothing wrong with that).
Yes, they do take your SS #....take a guess why they would do that? good grief!

They never did an investigation into my background. They did ask if I ever was convicted of a felony.....big f'ing deal. Also, they pay better than $7.00 an hour...not by much, but lets get the facts correct.

PS, I never had credit check done by Walmart.

I worked for Walmart for a few weeks, they did give a drug test (nothing wrong with that).

They never did an investigation into my background. They did ask if I ever was convicted of a felony.....big f'ing deal. Also, they pay better than $7.00 an hour...not by much, but lets get the facts correct.

You should see what I have to do to even keep my job.
To get my certificate I had to go through a background check, because I do have stuff on my record I had to get copies of the court papers. Then I had to write an explanation of what happened. Once that cleared I got my certificate through the state which I have to renew every year on my birthday.
Even with all that my job required me to have another background check, and explain what I did along with getting three references. Plus I was drug tested. Do I understand why they do this? Very much so.

Well it is their park too. As long as they don't restrict any other Citizen's use of the park,i don't see why they can't be there. Now if they begin to infringe on other Citizens' rights,there will be a problem. But this is a nice victory for them. I don't support the "Occupiers" on everything but i do support some of what they're standing for. We the average Citizens have been royally screwed by Wall Street and Politicians for a long time.

The People have every right to be angry. Things have gotten so bad for so many. Been to a grocery store lately? The prices are astronomical right now. It's so tough to feed a family these days. The wages are stagnant and the cost of living keeps going up while the Wall Street Fat-Cats keep on receiving their Government Welfare. The People are being humiliated. Full credit checks,full police background checks,and forced Drug Tests all to get a shitty little job at WalMart or MacDonalds? I mean come on,how much more humiliation do they think the People will accept? There will be more unrest coming...

"In the souls of the People the grapes of wrath are filling and growing heavy,growing heavy for the vintage."

Actually, no. It is not their park too.

Zuccotti Park - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Zuccotti Park, formerly called Liberty Plaza Park, is a 33,000-square-foot (3,100 m2) publicly accessible park in Lower Manhattan, New York City. It is a Privately-Owned-Public-Space (POPS) controlled by Brookfield Properties.[1]
It is publicly accessible, but privately owned. The owners could, and should IMHO, restrict access to the park until this nonsense stops.

I do not understand why, since it is private property, the owners allow this to continue.

EDIT...
Now I do... wow.
http://www.dnainfo.com/20111010/downtown/occupy-wall-street-puts-spotlight-on-privately-owned-public-spaces

Last edited:

Times have changed. They fully investigate your personal background and that may include your credit situation. And for obvious reasons they do require your SS# and it does stay in their files. But I am glad you had a good experience with Walmart. I was just telling a story i was told recently. I've actually heard even worse invasion of privacy stories by companies like MacDonalds. One included a person having their hair almost completely chopped off for a Drug Test. This stuff really has gotten out of hand. I mean how much should a poor man or woman have to go through for a shitty slave-labor job? The workers do need help now. That's why i have to support Private Unions. The Government & Corporations are just shitting on workers now. They better start helping themselves because no one else will.

Last edited:
Only hours after the NYPD cleared Zuccotti Park of Occupy Wall Street protesters in a controversial 2 a.m. raid, the National Lawyers Guild obtained a court order telling the city to let the protesters return -- tents, tarps and all. :clap2:

More here: Metro - National Lawyers Guild: Occupy Wall Street protesters can return to park with tents

This is what your link says now:

Lucy Billings out; new judge reviewing whether Occupy Wall Street can return

Metro - Lucy Billings out; new judge reviewing whether Occupy Wall Street can return

This understandable anger is all on the Politicians and Wall Street. They have created it. They've pushed the people too much. And now the People are pushing back. When you strip humans of their humanity,they will become wild beasts. They've taken and taken and taken from the People. Just look at what they put a person through just to get a low paying slave labor job at Walmart or MacDonalds. You would think these people were applying for work at the CIA or something. They have taken too much of our rights away and now the People are beginning to see that.

I mean come on,why humiliate a person for a crappy $7.00 an hr. job? They're already being humiliated enough just taking that job. Then they force them to take Drug Tests,and be subjected to full credit and Police background checks on them. I mean talk about a humiliating invasion of privacy? How could they think the People wouldn't eventually rise up in anger? I really do hope the OWS and Tea Party protesters are successful. It's time for the People to be heard.

Ah, pardon me but what happened to that girl is what you DO when you hire someone in this day and age. As an employer by law you need to have a prospective employees I-9 information before they are allowed to work, which means you need their Social Security number. It used to be that employers could go on their "instincts" about an employee but now you're potentially held responsible if you've failed to adequately check out the background of an employee who subsequently does something wrong. Employers do costly credit checks, drug screenings and criminal checks these days to protect themselves from legal action not because they have a need to "humiliate" people.

And the park is privately owned...the protesters have no "right" to be there.

Last edited:

Ah, pardon me but what happened to that girl is what you DO when you hire someone in this day and age. As an employer by law you need to have a prospective employees I-9 information before they are allowed to work, which means you need their Social Security number. It used to be that employers could go on their "instincts" about an employee but now you're potentially held responsible if you've failed to adequately check out the background of an employee who subsequently does something wrong. Employers do costly credit checks, drug screenings and criminal checks these days to protect themselves from legal action not because they have a need to "humiliate" people.

Well the end-result is a whole lot of humiliation. I understand the SS# thing,i was just stating that whether or not you get the job,your SS# stays in their files. And all of the other information they obtained about you does as well. This isn't only true of Walmart. All jobs you apply for will have your private information on record regardless if you ever worked there or not. I just think the Corporations and Government are out of control. Who stands up for the Worker anymore?

Well it is their park too. As long as they don't restrict any other Citizen's use of the park,i don't see why they can't be there. Now if they begin to infringe on other Citizens' rights,there will be a problem. But this is a nice victory for them. I don't support the "Occupiers" on everything but i do support some of what they're standing for. We the average Citizens have been royally screwed by Wall Street and Politicians for a long time.

The People have every right to be angry. Things have gotten so bad for so many. Been to a grocery store lately? The prices are astronomical right now. It's so tough to feed a family these days. The wages are stagnant and the cost of living keeps going up while the Wall Street Fat-Cats keep on receiving their Government Welfare. The People are being humiliated. Full credit checks,full police background checks,and forced Drug Tests all to get a shitty little job at WalMart or MacDonalds? I mean come on,how much more humiliation do they think the People will accept? There will be more unrest coming...

"In the souls of the People the grapes of wrath are filling and growing heavy,growing heavy for the vintage."

Zuccotti Park, formerly called Liberty Plaza Park, is a 33,000-square-foot (3,100 m2) publicly accessible park in Lower Manhattan, New York City. It is a Privately-Owned-Public-Space (POPS) controlled by Brookfield Properties.[1]
It is publicly accessible, but privately owned. The owners could, and should IMHO, restrict access to the park until this nonsense stops.

I do not understand why, since it is private property, the owners allow this to continue.

EDIT...
Now I do... wow.
Occupy Wall Street Puts Spotlight on Privately Owned Public Spaces - DNAinfo.com

But it does say:

POP owners do have the right to impose reasonable rules and regulations to manage the spaces.

Read more: Occupy Wall Street Puts Spotlight on Privately Owned Public Spaces - DNAinfo.com

The new decision is due now, 3 PM.

Update 2:12 p.m.: The new judge said he will make a decision on Occupy Wall Street at 3 p.m. this afternoon.

A new judge has been assigned to review a decision made by Justice Lucy Billings this morning that says Occupy Wall Street protesters can return to Zuccotti Park with their tents and tarps.

Metro - Lucy Billings out; new judge reviewing whether Occupy Wall Street can return

Zuccotti Park Closed Until at Least 3 p.m. Pending Judge's Ruling

Read more: http://www.dnainfo.com/20111115/dow...-street-back-into-zuccotti-park#ixzz1do41Zwhu

http://www.dnainfo.com/20111115/dow...ow-occupy-wall-street-back-into-zuccotti-park

Last edited:
I thought Zuccotti was privately owned? Or am I confused with some other park?

I'm still waiting for a coherent answer on that as well.....

:eusa_eh:

It is privately owned and owned/managed by none other than Brookfield properties... which btw... Bloomberg's girlfriend sits on the Board of Directors...

But wasn't it the mayor and the owners that booted them out?

How can a judge say that it's okay for people to trespass?

EDIT...
Now I do... wow.
Occupy Wall Street Puts Spotlight on Privately Owned Public Spaces - DNAinfo.com

I think if I were a business owner impacted by the OWS crowd, I'd look to hold Brookfield Properties liable for damages. Surely NY has laws about allowing your property to be a public nuisance.

Forum List

Back