Occupy Vancouver camp unsafe, must end: Mayor

Ropey

אחרית הימים
Gold Supporting Member
Dec 5, 2010
The mayor of Vancouver wants the Occupy Vancouver camp to end.

Following the death of a woman on Saturday, Vancouver Mayor Gregor Robertson said the protest site on the grounds of the city's art gallery is unsafe and must be shut down as soon as possible.

The mayor said the death of a 20-year-old woman was particularly upsetting for him because he has a daughter the same age.

"There is a serious problem here and we want to address it urgently," Robertson said on Saturday night at the site of the protest.

"I think the protest on the really important issues that many of us are passionate about is being undermined by a tent camp and the issues around the right to camp on public space, which is really unfortunate," Robertson said.

"And now we have a critical incident that demonstrates there's life safety at risk here."

Read more: Occupy Vancouver camp unsafe, must end: mayor - CTV News

occupyvan-cp-01567144.jpg

Occupy Vancouver camp unsafe, must end: mayor - CTV News

:clap2:

I'm so sorry to hear of the young woman's death. Extending a protest rally into a never-ending camp-a-thon is truly not in the better interests of public safety. Ropey, I think Vancouver has a wise mayor.

I'm so sorry to hear of the young woman's death. Extending a protest rally into a never-ending camp-a-thon is truly not in the better interests of public safety. Ropey, I think Vancouver has a wise mayor.

I am sorry as well freedombecki. It's a major issue with these occupy threads is that they are a meeting grounds for more than those who are making a political statement.

Canada usually acts pretty quick when known innocent civilians are murdered.

Last edited:

I am sorry as well freedombecki. It's a major issue with these occupy threads is that they are a meeting grounds for more than those who are making a political statement.

The Royal Canadian Mounties command a lot of respect, world-wide. I haven't heard much of them lately, but I hope they get to the bottom of this crisis soon. When they figure it all out, send them down stateside, won't you? We can always use a few more good men (and women, these days).

The Royal Canadian Mounties command a lot of respect, world-wide. I haven't heard much of them lately, but I hope they get to the bottom of this crisis soon. When they figure it all out, send them down stateside, won't you? We can always use a few more good men (and women, these days).

We are always here for the US freedombecki. Whenever the US needs us and we've got more than a few willing to stand. Canada knows what happens to the world without the US. We watch the history channel. :)

Canada is in the process of reforming our command structure in the R.C.M.P and this will take time as it was allowed to eat itself from inside with no outside supervision.

We are always here for the US freedombecki. Whenever the US needs us and we've got more than a few willing to stand. Canada knows what happens to the world without the US. We watch the history channel. :)

Canada is in the process of reforming our command structure in the R.C.M.P and this will take time as it was allowed to eat itself from inside with no outside supervision.
Oh, Ropey, it's a two-way street. Where would we be without Canadian Lieutenant Colonel John MacRae, MD who penned the haunting "Flanders Field" that heartened the living to the causes of freedom for which we stand? And I be honored to quote:

[SIZE=+1]In Flanders Fields the poppies blow[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Between the crosses row on row,[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]That mark our place; and in the sky[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]The larks, still bravely singing, fly[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Scarce heard amid the guns below.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]We are the Dead. Short days ago[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Loved and were loved, and now we lie[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]In Flanders fields.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Take up our quarrel with the foe:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]To you from failing hands we throw[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]The torch; be yours to hold it high.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]If ye break faith with us who die[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]We shall not sleep, though poppies grow[/SIZE]

Those are the words that fired American Legion groups to sell poppies on street corners to this day to support the causes of wounded and fallen soldiers. /brushing a little tear...

Oh, Ropey, it's a two-way street. Where would we be without Canadian Lieutenant Colonel John MacRae, MD who penned the haunting "Flanders Field" that heartened the living to the causes of freedom for which we stand? And I be honored to quote:

Those are the words that fired American Legion groups to sell poppies on street corners to this day to support the causes of wounded and fallen soldiers. /brushing a little tear...

I know "Flanders Fields" by heart to this very day. It still shivers me, and I am a proud member of the Canadian Legion as my father before me, and as my grandfather before him.

Peace if possible, war if not.

Good move by the Mayor.

It's not going to be easy. There are a lot of disgruntled drug addicts, young street people, etc.

As well as the criminal element ...

I know "Flanders Fields" by heart to this very day. It still shivers me, and I am a proud member of the Canadian Legion as my father before me, and as my grandfather before him.

Peace if possible, war if not.
We have such dear and wise neighbors to the north. :thanks:

The woman ODed I think.

Wait a minute...the toxicology test will take a few weeks? :confused:
What kind of...oh yeah...this is Canada...they probably have one toxicology unit in the entire country...and it is part time.

The woman ODed I think.
So they said. I'm not against protests, but a good time parameter would be a couple of hours tying up city facilities. Some communities are spending two million a week to assure the comfort and safety of protesters, and they don't have the bucks to even do that due to the high costs of everything else.

Two hours. That's all it takes to get a point across. It doesn't take two days, two weeks, or two months of running up their cities huge bills.

The woman ODed I think.

Yes, my mistake, you are correct.

On the heels of a death at Occupy Vancouver Saturday, the city’s mayor vowed to end the encampment he says has become dangerous.

“This is second critical incident in two days – obviously there is a serious problem here,” Mayor Gregor Robertson said from the Occupy site at Vancouver Art Gallery.

“Having people die … is not OK.”

They are not murders unless one believes drug dealers are murderers.

http://biggovernment.com/publius/2011/11/06/oSecond-overdose-in-three-days/

And Vancouver takes legal action.

Vancouver losing patience with Occupy encampment, takes legal action | News | National Post

Occupy London becomes first Canadian camp forcibly evicted by police
Police in London, Ont., have become the first in Canada to forcefully evict a group of Occupy protesters, moving in during the early hours of Wednesday morning.

One labour leader slammed the city for disrupting a peaceful protest, calling it a “black eye” for the community.

Protesters had spent more than two weeks at the park — one of numerous encampments across this country, the United States and 1,400 cities around the world protesting a range of issues, including corporate greed, high tuition fees and a lack of jobs.

png1108n-occupy-10914.jpg

Tides shifting as Canada’s Occupy movement sees first eviction​

Time appears to running out on Canada’s Occupy movement, with cities across the country moving to crack down on the tented sites as the demonstrations approach the one-month mark.

While demonstrators in London, Ont., were the first to be forced out of the site in that city on Wednesday, a B.C. Supreme Court judge adjourned an injunction application to clear out the Vancouver site, but placed restrictions on protesters until the matter is heard next week.

Vancouver fire bylaws must be followed, Associate Chief Justice Anne MacKenzie ruled. Included in that order is the requirement to have all fires at the site out by Wednesday night and all propane and other open-flame heating mechanisms must also be removed

I remember John Lenon's "Bed In".

And duly noted, he paid for it all.

bed_in_01.jpg

Forum List

Back