Occupy Using Their Funds To Buy $100,000 Of Debt

Members of a debt relief project borne from the Occupy Wall Street campaign said Wednesday they have purchased more than $100,000 worth of medical debt in a second trial run for their efforts.

Thomas Gokey, a spokesperson for the Rolling Jubilee campaign, said the debt was purchased for $5,000. Earlier this year, the group bought $14,000 worth of debt for $500.

“We are buying debt that is being sold on the secondary market for pennies on the dollar,” Gokey said in a conference call. “We are doing it in exactly the same way that [debt collectors] do it, with one big difference: we are abolishing the debt as we buy it.”

You'll never see the teabaggers doing anything for good like this :clap2:

Occupy debt-relief campaign buys $100,000 worth of debt | The Raw Story

LOL, even $10 million would be a drop in the bucket to a multi-billion dollar industry, you stupid fuck and they are buying $100K! Nice waste of money! Medical bill payments allow a ton of options!

If they really wanted to do some good, why not buy and abolish student loan debt?

Liberals are so stupid they applaud a failed effort on all levels!

There are other efforts to do just that, conservatives are so horrible to spit on selfless anonymous charity just because of where it comes from.

The source is Black_Label I am mocking that monkey! He makes it like this act will change the world. Yet what is $100K in a billion dollar market! NOTHING!!! Nice act of charity, but it's an utter failure in what they are trying to accomplish!

Perhaps you should ready 3 posts above yours....

Idiot

Perhaps I was actually just kicking your ignorant ass for your crappy attitude.

what is with you people always wanting to kick peoples asses?
full of hate

If this was church group doing this the attitude would be different but because it is a leftist group there must be something there that is evil as far as some of the resident reactionary dickheads are concerned.

LOL, even $10 million would be a drop in the bucket to a multi-billion dollar industry, you stupid fuck and they are buying $100K! Nice waste of money! Medical bill payments allow a ton of options!

If they really wanted to do some good, why not buy and abolish student loan debt?

Liberals are so stupid they applaud a failed effort on all levels!

There are other efforts to do just that, conservatives are so horrible to spit on selfless anonymous charity just because of where it comes from.

The source is Black_Label I am mocking that monkey! He makes it like this act will change the world. Yet what is $100K in a billion dollar market! NOTHING!!! Nice act of charity, but it's an utter failure in what they are trying to accomplish!

Go stand in front of the salvation army bell ringers and yell at all the people who donate some change or maybe a dollar that same shit. Be sure to record it as well. :lol:

Yeah... Tea Party members or Conservatives or Republicans or anyone who is not a progressive, NEVER take charitable actions, help others of their own free will, etc :rolleyes:

Look.. commendable of this group.. and I applaud their efforts and the free choice to do this... still does not mean I believe government should do it, government should bail out, government should give freebies at another's expense, etc

This has nothing to do with the government. It's private individuals helping out others.

And I applauded that.. in case you could not understand that

Perhaps I was actually just kicking your ignorant ass for your crappy attitude.

full of hate

If this was church group doing this the attitude would be different but because it is a leftist group there must be something there that is evil as far as some of the resident reactionary dickheads are concerned.

tissue?
the whole thing is stupid, they could of donated that money to a better cause..it is a useless stunt

full of hate

tissue?
the whole thing is stupid, they could of donated that money to a better cause..it is a useless stunt

Yeah.. it is a chosen stunt.. but they are free to do with their monies as they want... if they chose this target for help, that is on them... it is still commendable to help someone, even if I or someone else would choose another charity or charitable act

full of hate

tissue?

I can't think of a better way to use their donations.

They are taking large medical debts that people where unable to afford to pay, buying them for pennies on the dollar, and eliminating their debt which would have otherwise trashed their credit, lead to non-stop harassing phone calls and letters from bill collectors, and possibly even law suits or docked wages.

This will give these people at least a little dignity in their lives. Well done occupy :clap2:

Last edited:
full of hate

tissue?

Useless? They got a twenty to one ratio on their $5000 donation/investment. I can think of no other way to make such a small amount matter that much.

tissue?

Yeah.. it is a chosen stunt.. but they are free to do with their monies as they want... if they chose this target for help, that is on them... it is still commendable to help someone, even if I or someone else would choose another charity or charitable act

of course it ok, but for some on here to act like it's the noblest of things and then run down others over it...which was the purpose of the op

Last edited:
Members of a debt relief project borne from the Occupy Wall Street campaign said Wednesday they have purchased more than $100,000 worth of medical debt in a second trial run for their efforts.

Thomas Gokey, a spokesperson for the Rolling Jubilee campaign, said the debt was purchased for $5,000. Earlier this year, the group bought $14,000 worth of debt for $500.

“We are buying debt that is being sold on the secondary market for pennies on the dollar,” Gokey said in a conference call. “We are doing it in exactly the same way that [debt collectors] do it, with one big difference: we are abolishing the debt as we buy it.”

You'll never see the teabaggers doing anything for good like this :clap2:

Occupy debt-relief campaign buys $100,000 worth of debt | The Raw Story

They are actually the responsible ones absorbing the loss of the creditors via paying higher pass thru fees and premiums.

The bad debt is then pawned off as worthless 'pennies on the dollar' bonds.

But your tiny entitlment minded can't really process that.

Last edited:

tissue?

They are taking large medical debts that people where unable to afford to pay, buying them for pennies on the dollar, and eliminating their debt which would have otherwise trashed their credit, lead to non-stop harassing phone calls and letters from bill collectors, and possibly even law suits or docked wages.

This will give these people at least a little dignity in their lives. Well done occupy :clap2:

Dignity would be paying your own debts.

tissue?

I hope you never have to experience just how quickly serious illness and the accompanying medical debt can ruin even the best planned lives. Dignity and pride are unimaginable luxuries for some in that situation.

I hope you never have to experience just how quickly serious illness and the accompanying medical debt can ruin even the best planned lives. Dignity and pride are unimaginable luxuries for some in that situation.

oh dear gawd, like you know no one here hasn't..they just might not want to go around whining about it.

the ows should do something for people after they trashed parks, business and pooped all over police cars

Last edited:

oh dear gawd, like you know no one here hasn't..they just might not want to go around whining about it.

the ows should do something for people after they trashed parks, business and pooped all over police cars

My aren't you a heavenly joy? No wonder all your friends are imaginary or rubber.

It's pretty shocking (or not) to see in this thread how much the right wing trash hate people that help out others.

Being greedy bastards that only think about yourselves is the GOP way of life,....It's good most don't feel that way :up:

Forum List

Back