“occupy protests” are bull.

deepthunk

Justadude with a keyboard
Feb 19, 2011
Since I live in Tucson Arizona and since the issue of wealth (especially corporate wealth) corrupting Washington has been a high priority for me for years, I’ve visited the “Occupy Tucson” protest several times this week, and in fact just spent the day there. Frankly I’ve been growing more and more frustrated and disheartened, this protest just isn’t what it appears to be from watching it on the news.
As it turns out this protest is neither as spontaneous nor as open and democratic as the protesters lead us to believe.
The protest was sponsored by a handful of ranking members of the local democratic party, that in itself is not a bad thing of course, but in reality most of the protesters are just homeless people who would be camping outside anyway but stay in the park now because the protests organizers feed them right there (and they couldn’t care less about the same citations they get all the time anyway).
Those four or five ranking local democrats paid for everything and control everything, even in the so called “general assembly”; they immediately silence anyone who opposes anything on their agenda including issues they have which have nothing to do with corporate corruption, disagrees with them with regards to their approach to the protest, or even disagrees with their handling of any logistical issues.
The fact is, while I remain steadfast in my opposition to corporate control of Washington, extremists from the far left have taken total control of the protest and as a moderate I feel completely out of place, and even a little ostracized by the extremists.
Suffice to say I’m a little disappointed as I would like to support the protesters because the issue of corporate power and control of Washington is critical and needs to be addressed, however I don’t support the banning of raising animals for food because I like steak, and I don’t belong at that protest any more than I belong at a tea party convention. That leaves me wondering, if I don’t belong at their event, and can’t support all, or even the majority of the issues their protesting, how can I support them? Obviously I cannot.

The unions are supplying them with money and food as well. They also have paid protesters that get 300 to 600 dollars a week. Its all a sham!

Corporate control of Washington isn't nearly as bad as Washington control of corporations.

How do you like all those millions in tax funds going to Finland? Does that make you happy. Carmakers in Finland get MILLIONS to make cars that start out with a price of $100,000. The poor isn't going to be buying those cars, they are just more toys for the wealthy. The left LOVES this stuff. That's what they call redistribution.

I feel you, in some places dems and independents have tried to adopt the OWS movement as their own. Even though there are some groups that are looking to take advantage of the entire movement (theives, politicans, opportunists etc.) but The idea behind the movement and frustrastion is real.

Now raising animals for food? I dont know how that is relevent to OWS at all but thats the problem and positive thing about big tent movements. Some are like, WTF? But no one is throwing them out. So as much as I like steak and dont agree with that person (it had to be like 1 or 2 people at the most) thats not enough for me to say "Well, I guess corporate influence on Washington is ok because...Gawd I hate that Anti-Steak guy"

If you’re a closed-minded rightist ideologue, yes.

The fact is, while I remain steadfast in my opposition to corporate control of Washington, extremists from the far left have taken total control of the protest and as a moderate I feel completely out of place, and even a little ostracized by the extremists.

You forgot to cite your evidence that the OWS movement is ‘taken over’ by ‘extremists from the far left.’

You forgot to cite your evidence that the OWS movement is ‘taken over’ by ‘extremists from the far left.’

Snipped from the OP...

"Those four or five ranking local democrats paid for everything and control everything, even in the so called “general assembly”; they immediately silence anyone who opposes anything on their agenda including issues they have which have nothing to do with corporate corruption, disagrees with them with regards to their approach to the protest, or even disagrees with their handling of any logistical issues.
The fact is, while I remain steadfast in my opposition to corporate control of Washington, extremists from the far left have taken total control of the protest and as a moderate I feel completely out of place, and even a little ostracized by the extremists"

Hardly democratic.

So the babies just think that their Government should just print up two trillion dollars and send the 99% a check for $25,000, and everyone will be happy. Right? Hmm, Ink is very expensive!! maybe it will be cheaper to just print hundreds or one-thousand dollar bills.

I wonder if Obama will give tax exemptions to all the small businesses the OWS Thugs trashed over the last 6 or so weeks?

Why should he, those business have been making a very good profit for a long time because of there location. They choose to open there, they took the risk.

Dumbass thinking like that is called corporate welfare, and its a much bigger problem then the degenerates farming foodstamps.

So the babies just think that their Government should just print up two trillion dollars and send the 99% a check for $25,000, and everyone will be happy. Right? Hmm, Ink is very expensive!! maybe it will be cheaper to just print hundreds or one-thousand dollar bills.

Woulda cost less then the auto bailouts.

Why do you consider government money going to people to be a bad thing, but gov money going to business is ok?

Corporate control of Washington isn't nearly as bad as Washington control of corporations.

How do you like all those millions in tax funds going to Finland? Does that make you happy. Carmakers in Finland get MILLIONS to make cars that start out with a price of $100,000. The poor isn't going to be buying those cars, they are just more toys for the wealthy. The left LOVES this stuff. That's what they call redistribution.

The problem is we live in an Oligarchy that calls itself a Republic. The Oligarchy consists of our biggest banks, biggest corporations, and very rich people.

So you have a small (relatively) group of business that own washington, and use washington to broaden profit margins and negate competition. All through regulation.

Since I live in Tucson Arizona and since the issue of wealth (especially corporate wealth) corrupting Washington has been a high priority for me for years, I’ve visited the “Occupy Tucson” protest several times this week, and in fact just spent the day there. Frankly I’ve been growing more and more frustrated and disheartened, this protest just isn’t what it appears to be from watching it on the news.
As it turns out this protest is neither as spontaneous nor as open and democratic as the protesters lead us to believe.
The protest was sponsored by a handful of ranking members of the local democratic party, that in itself is not a bad thing of course, but in reality most of the protesters are just homeless people who would be camping outside anyway but stay in the park now because the protests organizers feed them right there (and they couldn’t care less about the same citations they get all the time anyway).
Those four or five ranking local democrats paid for everything and control everything, even in the so called “general assembly”; they immediately silence anyone who opposes anything on their agenda including issues they have which have nothing to do with corporate corruption, disagrees with them with regards to their approach to the protest, or even disagrees with their handling of any logistical issues.
Suffice to say I’m a little disappointed as I would like to support the protesters because the issue of corporate power and control of Washington is critical and needs to be addressed, however I don’t support the banning of raising animals for food because I like steak, and I don’t belong at that protest any more than I belong at a tea party convention. That leaves me wondering, if I don’t belong at their event, and can’t support all, or even the majority of the issues their protesting, how can I support them? Obviously I cannot.

I'm sorry that was your experience, but I don't think it's fair to extrapolate it out and reach the conclusion of "And therefore, the whole thing is whack."

I am not quoting other sources; I am speaking from my own personal experience. I suppose I could take a video camera down there to record everything I’ve seen and heard so that I can present you with “evidence”. However, that’s a bit of trouble to go to and I’m not interested in proving or disproving the validity of the protests, I’m merely expressing my personal opinion.
I can’t speak with regards to the protests in other cities, but I can tell you what I’ve witnessed here, and if you doubt me so much, feel free to come see for yourself.

I feel you, in some places dems and independents have tried to adopt the OWS movement as their own. Even though there are some groups that are looking to take advantage of the entire movement (theives, politicans, opportunists etc.) but The idea behind the movement and frustrastion is real.

Now raising animals for food? I dont know how that is relevent to OWS at all but thats the problem and positive thing about big tent movements. Some are like, WTF? But no one is throwing them out. So as much as I like steak and dont agree with that person (it had to be like 1 or 2 people at the most) thats not enough for me to say "Well, I guess corporate influence on Washington is ok because...Gawd I hate that Anti-Steak guy"

That’s just my point, the issue that brought me out was the corruption in Washington (on both sides of the isle), but the movement has been hijacked by a bunch of idiot’s who have their own agenda’s, agenda’s that have nothing to do with eliminating government corruption.
I still have no doubt that wealth buys too much power in Washington and that our elected officials (democrat and republican alike) are corrupt to their cores. Furthermore I know for a fact that said corruption is the reason for all the economic, and many of the social problems we have in America today.
But the protesters that I have seen here in Tucson are protesting everything but, including a number of issues I can’t support them on.
The fact is the movement has been hijacked by people with their own agendas, who are actually benefiting the corporate powers that be by distracting everyone from the critical issue. Furthermore many of those fore mentioned agendas are agendas I cannot and will not support.
So stone me if you want to, but I call it like I see it.

I just realized I overlooked that statement.
I find it interesting that when I support policies on the left, right wingers call me a liberal and ignore me. When I support policies from the right, liberals call me a right winger and ignore me.
Perhaps in the end accusing someone of being “one of them” in the midst of a political debate is merely a way of ignoring facts you find inconvenient, or distracting people from arguments you cannot counter.
Perhaps you are so afraid of what I have to say that you cannot bring yourself to listen at all, because if you did you might discover that you’re wrong.

I find it interesting that when I support policies on the left, right wingers call me a liberal and ignore me. When I support policies from the right, liberals call me a right winger and ignore me.
Perhaps in the end accusing someone of being “one of them” in the midst of a political debate is merely a way of ignoring facts you find inconvenient, or distracting people from arguments you cannot counter.
Perhaps you are so afraid of what I have to say that you cannot bring yourself to listen at all, because if you did you might discover that you’re wrong.

I do believe you left me out of your assessment. See above post.

Welcome to my world. If you don't toe the line either right or left you will get called all kinds of things by both sides.

I do believe you left me out of your assessment. See above post.

I’m sorry; you’re right I did overlook your post and for that I apologize.
Anyway, it wasn’t necessarily my intention to say “the whole thing is wack”. However I do think based on what I observe in the press that the issues I witnessed firsthand are commonplace within the movement as a whole. That doesn’t necessarily mean I oppose them, I just can’t support some of the peripheral issues their raising.
There are a few things I think they should do IMHO to get back on track, but I can’t tell them (at least not the local protest) directly because they simply will not listen. Their hell bent on doing things the way their doing them and forcing their personal agendas to the forefront, when they need to stay focused on the corruption that underlies most of the issues their trying to raise.
Hell, issues aside they won’t even listen to anyone outside their little click with regards to logistical matters. For example their hand making signs with markers a few dozen at a time to put up on light posts around town, I made the mistake of suggesting that they should design the signs on a computer and photocopy them by the thousands. The response I got was anger and statements like, “corporations make those copiers!” and “do you know how much pollution those things produce?” this despite the fact that the leaders are using cellphones and computers ALL THE TIME. I didn’t even get around to suggesting they put the signs at bus stops where their likely to be read instead of light posts where people will just walk by.
I’m sorry for saying it, but I frankly think that the reason their making the signs that way is because that’s what they did in the 60’s and some of them are more interested in recapturing their youth than changing anything.
That’s just the tip of the iceberg. I have gotten completely and totally frustrated with them because this is an issue that I consider vital to the future of this country and they won’t even try to stay focused on the corporate corruption in Washington that’s supposed to be their whole reason for being there (not to mention being the underlying cause of most of the other issues their raising).
I guess I’m just getting frustrated because their stubborn, unfocused, impotent and ineffectual (not to mention sometimes hostile), and I consider this issue too vital, and the opportunity to effect real change too great to ignore.
Sorry, I guess I went off a little. But dammit, they haven’t even marched for a week, they just spend all day hanging out in that park eating vegetarian cuisine and playing bongo’s, and the park their in isn’t even visible from the downtown corporate offices or anything else that’s significant.
This is an incredible opportunity to effect real change, and I feel like their squandering it out of (forgive me for saying it) sheer stupidity.

Forum List

Back