OC Couple Threatened With $500-Per-Meeting Fines For Home Bible Study

Did you know that you are an idiot? Why bring politics into it? Who cares which party it is, it is wrong!

My guess is that it was intended to inoculate against the knee-jerk response of "Look, Christian-hating California!" by people who don't understand how diverse this state is, or that there are parts of it that are very conservative.

Orange County is also very rich, and its Republican voters are not for the most part religious-right types but corporate Goppers. I imagine, however, that this is not anti-Christian but simply "don't park in front of my house and stay the hell off my lawn!"

Whether or not it is "wrong" -- well, yes, arguably, but it's very typical of OC.

Imagine trying to sell a home in this neighborhood.

Realitors bringing in prospective buyers and the neighborhood is filled to the brim with cars.

Would you watn to buy in this neighborhood?

MISSION VIEJO (CBS) — An Orange County couple has been ordered to stop holding a Bible study in their home on the grounds that the meeting violates a city ordinance as a “church” and not as a private gathering.

Homeowners Chuck and Stephanie Fromm, of San Juan Capistrano, were fined $300 earlier this month for holding what city officials called “a regular gathering of more than three people”.

That type of meeting would require a conditional use permit as defined by the city, according to Pacific Justice Institute (PJI), the couple’s legal representation.

The Fromms also reportedly face subsequent fines of $500 per meeting for any further “religious gatherings” in their home, according to PJI.

“We’re just gathering and enjoying each other’s company and fellowship. And we enjoy studying God’s word.” Stephanie Fromm told CBS2.

--

Neighbors have written letters to the city in support of the Fromms, whom they said have not caused any disturbances with the meetings, according to PJI.

“The Fromm case further involves regular meetings on Sunday mornings and Thursday afternoons with up to 50 people, with impacts on the residential neighborhood on street access and parking,” City Attorney Omar Sandoval said.​

Selective enforcement, perhaps?

:eusa_whistle: Just a matter of time, more and more of this will come

MISSION VIEJO (CBS) — An Orange County couple has been ordered to stop holding a Bible study in their home on the grounds that the meeting violates a city ordinance as a “church” and not as a private gathering.

Homeowners Chuck and Stephanie Fromm, of San Juan Capistrano, were fined $300 earlier this month for holding what city officials called “a regular gathering of more than three people”.

That type of meeting would require a conditional use permit as defined by the city, according to Pacific Justice Institute (PJI), the couple’s legal representation.

The Fromms also reportedly face subsequent fines of $500 per meeting for any further “religious gatherings” in their home, according to PJI.

“We’re just gathering and enjoying each other’s company and fellowship. And we enjoy studying God’s word.” Stephanie Fromm told CBS2.

--

Neighbors have written letters to the city in support of the Fromms, whom they said have not caused any disturbances with the meetings, according to PJI.

“The Fromm case further involves regular meetings on Sunday mornings and Thursday afternoons with up to 50 people, with impacts on the residential neighborhood on street access and parking,” City Attorney Omar Sandoval said.​

More and more code violators?

--

More and more code violators?

More and more codes.

I am a Christian and have been to many weekly Home Bible Studies.

I have to say this, if this is a sub-division type of area and not something like Strollingbones described her "neighborhood" as then I have to agree with the county and the neighbors. Fifty people (maybe 30 cars?) twice a week every week is a bit much to ask your neighbors to put up with.

Can't they find a park or some kind of meeting room that won't be invasive of the neighborhood?

I respect their right to hold bible studies but there are times when one should consider the inconvenience to neighbors.

Immie

--

“The Fromm case further involves regular meetings on Sunday mornings and Thursday afternoons with up to 50 people, with impacts on the residential neighborhood on street access and parking,” City Attorney Omar Sandoval said.

Sure looks like it.

Motivated by what? one wonders.

I have to say this, if this is a sub-division type of area and not something like Strollingbones described her "neighborhood" as then I have to agree with the county and the neighbors. Fifty people (maybe 30 cars?) twice a week every week is a bit much to ask your neighbors to put up with.

Can't they find a park or some kind of meeting room that won't be invasive of the neighborhood?

I respect their right to hold bible studies but there are times when one should consider the inconvenience to neighbors.

Immie

Bingo.

Wonder if there is some type of Cali code against having a weekly 49ers gathering

Yeah, if they are bi-weekly, involving lots of people, and someone in the neighborhood complains.

If you read the various articles on this, it turns out that one of the neighbors complained to the city, the city investigated and told the couple they needed to apply for a permit, the couple didn't bother to apply for a permit but kept on having their meetings and ended up getting fined.

IMO, the fault is with them and no one else.

Personal responsibility. It may be a bitch but it works.

They have the same right as everyone else to file for a permit. They have opted not to do so. Resulting in a fine.

Yes, they are being treated fairly according to the city's laws.

You're a fascists and a mindless drone, so I know these concepts are not ones you've ever been exposed to, but..

{Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances. }

Sorry thug, people have a right to gather, I know that offends you outside of Obama rallies.

{Section 1. All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws. }

I know that as a fascist, you loath and fear Christians, but even though it distresses you, they have protection under the Constitution. Even if they haven't sworn loyalty to Obama.

Wonder if there is some type of Cali code against having a weekly 49ers gathering

Yeah, if they are bi-weekly, involving lots of people, and someone in the neighborhood complains.

If you read the various articles on this, it turns out that one of the neighbors complained to the city, the city investigated and told the couple they needed to apply for a permit, the couple didn't bother to apply for a permit but kept on having their meetings and ended up getting fined.

Even so, would be interesting (for me anyhow) to know if that person who complained was a radical atheist. (One who speaks out against other people's faiths, etc, instead of just being an atheist.)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7M7Tfl3DWwQ]Theme Song to Mister Rogers' Neighborhood - YouTube[/ame]

What would work, exactly? They go ahead and pay the money for the permit, then what? What changes?

Immie

I'll ask you the same question. They go ahead and get the permit. What changes?

Even so, would be interesting (for me anyhow) to know if that person who complained was a radical atheist. (One who speaks out against other people's faiths, etc, instead of just being an atheist.)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7M7Tfl3DWwQ]Theme Song to Mister Rogers' Neighborhood - YouTube[/ame]

I don't know that it matters why someone objected to the gatherings, just that they did. I hope you aren't going to tell me that no one should be allowed to complain about this type of activity if it involves religion.

Forum List

Back