OC Couple Threatened With $500-Per-Meeting Fines For Home Bible Study

I just have to disagree with you on this.

You have mentioned a couple of times, that no tickets have been issued. I'm not sure they can just go ticketing vehicles that are technically legally parked. Those vehicles may not be illegally parked. I don't think the police can just go through the street and start ticketing all cars parked on the street if there are not any "No Parking" signs, but that does not mean that 30 extra cars on the street do not pose some kind of fire hazard or emergency response hazard. Therefore, the counties only option is to enforce the law regarding permitting.

Can you imagine living on the street and parking in front of your own home on the night of one of these bible studies and coming out the next morning to find out that you have received a ticket for parking legally in front of your home? Now, just to fight the ticket you have to take a day off work too?

I think the law is a bit too strict. I mean, from the info presented in this thread it says three people? That is ridiculous, but then 50 people twice a week is a bit intrusive as well.

Immie

I lived in a city where there was no parking for an area that was full of bars for the local college, so everyone parked in the residential area that was one block over. This obviously caused problems, so the city set up residential parking, and ticketed every single vehicle without a permit. Parking problem solved. It also solved the traffic congestion problem because no one was driving through there looking for parking. The bars then got together and leased an old dealership for parking, and set up a shuttle service.

If the parking the city has ways to deal with it. The fact that they are, instead of dealing with what they claim the problem is in the interviews, chose to go after the people holding the meeting, proves the issue is not parking.

Most permit parking is enforced after 2 hours. College classes usually are an all day thing.... sunday go to meetings are usually...less then 2 hours. They would skate in and out of the 2 hours window.

The idiot across the street tried that bullshit too.... we turned him in for not having a permit for running a business out of his garage.

Residential zoning ya know.

El Paso instituted permit parking and then sent out the police whenever they received a complaint. You could get out of the ticket if you could prove you were visiting someone, but they enforced it like a no parking zone.

You know, for some things, like this, you use your Church, or rent a Hall. Too many people are involved, and obviously, it is bothering some Neighbors. Small Bible study, is another matter. How small? Regular company. It is not Christian to be causing Others stress like that.

Last edited:
I know there is no guarantee that they will issue the permit. I am just pointing out that if the issue was actually parking they could easily address the parking issue separately. The fact that they are actually trying to require a permit, and basing the need for a permit on the type of gathering at the house, proves the issue is not actually parking.

You have mentioned a couple of times, that no tickets have been issued. I'm not sure they can just go ticketing vehicles that are technically legally parked. Those vehicles may not be illegally parked. I don't think the police can just go through the street and start ticketing all cars parked on the street if there are not any "No Parking" signs, but that does not mean that 30 extra cars on the street do not pose some kind of fire hazard or emergency response hazard. Therefore, the counties only option is to enforce the law regarding permitting.

Can you imagine living on the street and parking in front of your own home on the night of one of these bible studies and coming out the next morning to find out that you have received a ticket for parking legally in front of your home? Now, just to fight the ticket you have to take a day off work too?

I think the law is a bit too strict. I mean, from the info presented in this thread it says three people? That is ridiculous, but then 50 people twice a week is a bit intrusive as well.

Immie

I lived in a city where there was no parking for an area that was full of bars for the local college, so everyone parked in the residential area that was one block over. This obviously caused problems, so the city set up residential parking, and ticketed every single vehicle without a permit. Parking problem solved. It also solved the traffic congestion problem because no one was driving through there looking for parking. The bars then got together and leased an old dealership for parking, and set up a shuttle service.

If the parking the city has ways to deal with it. The fact that they are, instead of dealing with what they claim the problem is in the interviews, chose to go after the people holding the meeting, proves the issue is not parking.

Sure, the city could institute such a policy in that neighborhood, but they can't ticket those vehicles until they have done so and posted no parking or parking by permit only signs. I suspect if they do that they will really piss the neighbors off. Because then the neighbors would have to go to the city to get (and pay for) a permit.

Immie

Last edited:

Immie

Sure, the city could institute such a policy in that neighborhood, but they can't ticket those vehicles until they have done so and posted no parking or parking by permit only signs. I suspect if they do that they will really piss the neighbors off. Because then the neighbors would have to go to the city to get (and pay for) a permit.

Immie

Why would they have to pay for a permit?

Forum List

Back