OC Couple Threatened With $500-Per-Meeting Fines For Home Bible Study

So they should get special treatment because they are religious?

Note that while I don't agree with the punishment or even the law in the first place they should not be special in the law.

So you'd be OK if your regular poker night with the guys in your basement was subject to government intervention?

Fucking hell where did you extrapolate that from?

Please read my post before responding to it.

The religion aspect is completely specious.

If you were to have book club meeting in your house to discuss say particle physics would you want the fucking government telling you that you have to be treated as a university?

So they should get special treatment because they are religious?

Note that while I don't agree with the punishment or even the law in the first place they should not be special in the law.

So you'd be OK if your regular poker night with the guys in your basement was subject to government intervention?

50 person poker party twice a week?

Yeah so what?

If the people are parking legally on a public street then so the fuck what?

The fucking government has no right to tell me I can't invite as many people as I want to my own fucking house.

Whether or not individuals on this board wouldn't like it, can anyone find evidence that a person in the neighborhood doesn't like it?

twice a week woith 50 people?

Its not about the religion guys its about distrubing the neighbors who didnt support them

Yeah so what?

The fucking government has no right to tell me I can't invite as many people as I want to my own fucking house.

Those neighbors pay the same money for that street and would like to use it too.

twice a week woith 50 people?

Its not about the religion guys its about distrubing the neighbors who didnt support them

Have there been any complaints by neighbors regarding noise or disturbances?

If the public statutes allow public parking on their street then these homeowners are not breaking any laws.

Yeah so what?

Those neighbors pay the same money for that street and would like to use it too.

Then get the street designated as residential parking only. Problem solved.

Fucking hell where did you extrapolate that from?

Please read my post before responding to it.

The religion aspect is completely specious.

If you were to have book club meeting in your house to discuss say particle physics would you want the fucking government telling you that you have to be treated as a university?

Still haven't read my post? Is English your first language or do you just have poor reading comprehension?

Yeah so what?

Then get the street designated as residential parking only. Problem solved.
Most residences are zone for residential parking. :lol:

All they need to do is get a permit. But they can't be bothered, instead they are whining. Pretty pathetic.

Ravi does make a good point, it is the state law. So they "should" be punished if it's a state law.

But what's more important is changing the state law, as this is ridiculous. Shouldn't have to pay for a permit to do something so basic. What's the difference between this and me having to buy a permit for a weekly 20 person hangout to watch tv cuz I have the biggest tv? (that's a hypothetical)

This is a wealthy neighborhood ( look at the tape) and some of these neighbors dont want 30 to 40 cars driving arround and parking twice a week.

These wealthy people need to have a little christian love for their neighbors and rent a Ho Joes banquent room twice a week

Ravi does make a good point, it is the state law. So they "should" be punished if it's a state law.

But what's more important is changing the state law, as this is ridiculous. Shouldn't have to pay for a permit to do something so basic. What's the difference between this and me having to buy a permit for a weekly 20 person hangout to watch tv cuz I have the biggest tv? (that's a hypothetical)

That's why I disagree with this law, and the way the guy said it is fucking stupid and unconstitutional. "A gathering of 3 or more people," what complete bullshit.

That's why I disagree with this law, and the way the guy said it is fucking stupid and unconstitutional. "A gathering of 3 or more people," what complete bullshit.

Yeah i don't see what the difference is between this and having 20 guys over to watch on my home movie theatre where I have NFL sunday ticket.

I'm doubting their loud reading of the Bible caused any noise issue.

Because you can't favor one neighbor over another.

According to their ordinances:

Additional activities. The Planning Director or his or her agent may approve, conditionally approve, or deny special activity permit requests for the following types of uses. These uses may be permitted for a period of time not to exceed thirty-two (32) days. The thirty-two (32) days allowed under a special use permit application shall not be broken into more than three (3) individual times per calendar year. Applications for such uses shall be on forms provided by the City and shall include all necessary information to review such requests for compliance with all applicable regulations.

(1)

Christmas tree sales;

(2)

Carnivals, festivals, and exhibits by non-profit community groups;

(3)

Sidewalk sales and special retail promotional events;

(4)

Horse shows and exhibitions not located at an existing equestrian center;

(5)

Promotional tents for car dealers; and

(6)

Any special activity proposed for a residential district (shall require adjacent property owner approval).

They signed up for these ordinances when the purchased their house. There is nothing stopping them from following them except their own laziness. Either that, or they are hiding something.

OC Couple Threatened With $500-Per-Meeting Fines For Home Bible Study
MISSION VIEJO (CBS) — An Orange County couple has been ordered to stop holding a Bible study in their home on the grounds that the meeting violates a city ordinance as a “church” and not as a private gathering.

Homeowners Chuck and Stephanie Fromm, of San Juan Capistrano, were fined $300 earlier this month for holding what city officials called “a regular gathering of more than three people”.

That type of meeting would require a conditional use permit as defined by the city, according to Pacific Justice Institute (PJI), the couple’s legal representation.

The Fromms also reportedly face subsequent fines of $500 per meeting for any further “religious gatherings” in their home, according to PJI.

“We’re just gathering and enjoying each other’s company and fellowship. And we enjoy studying God’s word.” Stephanie Fromm told CBS2.

--

Neighbors have written letters to the city in support of the Fromms, whom they said have not caused any disturbances with the meetings, according to PJI.

“The Fromm case further involves regular meetings on Sunday mornings and Thursday afternoons with up to 50 people, with impacts on the residential neighborhood on street access and parking,” City Attorney Omar Sandoval said.​

Selective enforcement, perhaps?

They should move to New Orleans. Here when a neighbors code violations are annoying other neighbors, the other neighbors talk to the code violator about ways to make it less annoying, rather than calling in the law. For one thing - the law doesn't care.

If you have 50 people over every week for anything in a neighborhood with residential street parking - you'd better figure out what do to about parking - expecting your neighbors to be fine with it is unreasonable. A person in our neighborhood was holding weddings at his house - for profit - nearly every week, and the parking situation was horrible. Rather than call in the authorities, our civic association put pressure on the guy to rent a parking lot nearby - and he did. problem solved.

No one in the article is complaining.

Forum List

Back