Observing Surgery

lilcountriegal

Oct 24, 2003
Pennsylvania
Just wanted to let off a little steam because I'm a bit excited..

As most of you know, I work for Cardiac Surgeons. Yesterday I was able to observe a Coronary Artery Bypass surgery. I've only ever observed an autopsy before about 8 years ago..

Yesterday, I was able to stand right next to my boss (the surgeon) from first cut to final stitch. I got to see how exactly they do the bypasses, where they put the new vessels. I was inches away from a beating heart. (which, by the way, is alot larger and whitish, not the pink color I imagined). In one instance, they had to use the paddles to get the heart beating again. Such a rush it was.

there really isnt a point behind this thread lol, Im just still pumping adrenaline thinking about it and wanted to blow off steam. Carry on... :D

sounds like fun, congratulations. closest I've gotten to surgery is watching a friend get a C-section. Purple womb near made me throw up though. :puke:

Lil,

I know how exciting that is! I remember watching my first surgery and assisting - it was beyond cool!

However, Ive been out of nursing for I think 6 years now and Ive lost my stomach for it. Ive turned into such a wimp that the site of my kids' blood makes me faint. thats pitiful!

Congrats again! How fun! How cool!

:)

Originally posted by KLSuddeth
hey - you assisted with my dental thing

ouch

yeah, but thats not like opening up the body and extracting organs. all I had to do was hold the suction thingy :p:

Ive turned into such a wimp that the site of my kids' blood makes me faint.

I think the sight of you're kids' blood is completely different. I remember seeing Taylor's first nosebleed when she was about a year old and it damn near made me stroke.

I've got a pretty strong stomach when it comes to things like watching surgeries... the most bothersome part is when they had to cauterize the blood vessels to stop the bleeding.. I dont think anyone could ever get used to the smell of burning flesh.

I think watching the dental thing DK said about would bother me much more than watching them saw through the sternum. I hate dentists.

I hate dentists too - LOL funny story:

I had to get some dental work done and DK went with me, I was so nervous, I kicked the dentist when he tried to get started and then I jumped out of the chair and proceeded to run my short legs OUT of the office with DK chasing me. I won and went home.

Forum List

Back