CDZ Observations from the 55 minutes of Trump's televised DACA/immigration meeting

usmbguest5318

Gold Member
Jan 1, 2017
D.C.
I suppose yesterday's televised immigration/DACA meeting offered something for political partisans of every stripe. With regard to Trump and from what was shown of the meeting, I take the following:
  • Trump is indeed as incoherent and ill informed as his detractors have long asserted. The man was "all over the place" as go immigration and DACA policy and showed no particular subject matter acumen. He furthermore all but recanted his positions on the wall and DACA people's residency/citizenship status. Plus, he said nothing about Mexico paying for a wall on the southern border.
  • The nature of Trump's mental faculties is neither "tack sharp" nor "straight jacket" crazy.
  • Trump was capable of moderating a meeting attended by individuals having differing objectives and points of view.
  • While Trump can moderate a meeting, it's clear that as goes DACA and immigration he's either unwilling or unable to lead solutioneering of the issue. Which it be is not yet clear to me.
  • Trump doesn't give a damn about immigration/DACA policy or the people affected by it. What he cares about as go DACA/immigration policy is that he can claim a second (third if you count his SCOTUS appointment) major "win" of sorts by signing a second bill of substance.
    • "When this group comes back — hopefully with an agreement — this group and others from the Senate, from the House, comes back with an agreement, I’m signing it. I mean, I will be signing it. I’m not going to say, 'Oh, gee, I want this or I want that.' I’ll be signing it.
      -- Donald Trump, "Remarks by President Trump in Meeting [...] on Immigration"
  • The oft made claim that Trump cannot be trusted was again confirmed. Trump's naysayers have never trusted him; however, now his supporters are finding out what the rest of us have long known: they cannot rely on what that man says.

"Nobody" need be reminded that among Trump's most widely desired and unequivocal campaign promises were that (1) he/we was (are) going to build a wall, not a fence, not a few hundred miles of wall or fence, not electronic sensors, etc., and (2) Mexico was going to pay for the wall. In yesterday's meeting, however, Trump expressed clearly his indifference about adhering to and fulfilling those signature promises of the Trump campaign, promises that, taken together, were key differentiating factors between him and his GOP primary opponents.

I'm sorry, but nobody gets to make a campaign promise as stridently as did Trump with his wall and Mexico paying for it and then simply walk away from it!!! Indeed, in the streets, in schools, and at Trump rallies, throngs of his supporters were so enamoured with Trump's commitment to Mexico paying for the wall that they chanted "build that wall" for minutes on end and when Trump asked, 'Who's going to pay for it?", they responded, "Mexico." And yesterday Trump made no mention of Mexico paying for the wall and expressed indifference about there even being a wall (or even a fence) such as he described. (It should also be noted that he's no longer committed to allowing the government to close down if he doesn't get funding for his wall.)

• Aspects of the flexibility Trump showed are what many people, myself included, from 2013 to 2015 when his candidacy was but a frequently enough heard rumor, had hoped Trump the candidate and POTUS would be.

One take away that has nothing to do with the subject matter of the meeting and everything to do with the governance process is that all policy deliberations the POTUS and members of Congress have, among their own staffs and colleagues as well as jointly, should be televised/recorded and, after redacting whatever national security content be in them, released within 24 hours of the conversations. What we saw in the televised portion of yesterday's meeting was a body of responsible people comporting themselves responsibly and temperately to develop solutions to a matter material quantities of Americans consider important. The behavior and remarks we observed from some of them was 180° different from the hyper-partisan way they speak when speaking on-air to reporters and news commentators, or even on their respective stump speeches, for that matter.

I think that is what should happen because it forces each and every participant in the meeting who desires not to look like a f*cking idiot/jerk to be on his/her best behavior, as it were, and work in a collaborative manner, in a manner conducive to accomplishing the work voters sent them to Washington to do. Whereas elected office holders can in one-on-one conversations with reporters and on political "talking heads" shows be intransigent, "spin" things six ways to the wind, and point fingers at "the other team/guys," they cannot do so in working meetings with colleagues that the American people will see and accomplish the governing they've been employed to do.

It was unconstitutional to begin with, no way should these illegals be allowed to stay.

The Congressional Earmark Ban: the Real Bridge to Nowhere | Commentary
OT:
From the article:
Earmarks never accounted for a meaningful portion of federal spending. Non-discretionary funding (such as Social Security and Medicare) will account for almost two-thirds of the annual budget by 2015, while earmark spending — even at its peak — barely accounted for 1 percent of the budget.
In the scheme of things, that assertion is likely accurate.
At the noted site, one will find a table that details the earmarks pertaining to FYs 2008-2010, inclusively. It's just over $9.1B, or half the projected cost/price for "Trump's Wall," in total. So, while I too am okay with proportionality-based arguments, my threshold for what constitutes "too much" as goes acquiescing to what amount to bribes for representatives/senators to vote for what they otherwise would construe as "bad policy" is well below $9B. Indeed, everything about earmarks is anathema to the notion of reducing the influence of "big money" and special interests in legislative and policy making processes, and that's something I prefer to see eliminated completely.

Indeed that I and others can pony up a several hundred grand in donations and in return obtain access and some measure of influence that less well heeled voters cannot is, IMO, wrong in every way imaginable. It is from whichever end of the spectrum one views it. It's wrong that people who can donate double or more than I should have more influence than I when the fact is they, like me, have but one vote. It's wrong too for the same reason with regard to people who cannot contribute half as much as I or less, for like me, they too have no more than one vote. Earmarks and other means of "buying" legislative/policy making access, influence, favor and favors are great for "Suzy One Note" parties, but as goes the "general welfare," if you will, they are represent, IMO, one of the worst detriments to democracy there are.

Accordingly, notwithstanding Roll Call's normative position on earmarks, I do not agree with it.​

I suppose yesterday's televised immigration/DACA meeting offered something for political partisans of every stripe. With regard to Trump and from what was shown of the meeting, I take the following:
  • Trump is indeed as incoherent and ill informed as his detractors have long asserted. The man was "all over the place" as go immigration and DACA policy and showed no particular subject matter acumen. He furthermore all but recanted his positions on the wall and DACA people's residency/citizenship status. Plus, he said nothing about Mexico paying for a wall on the southern border.
  • The nature of Trump's mental faculties is neither "tack sharp" nor "straight jacket" crazy.
  • Trump was capable of moderating a meeting attended by individuals having differing objectives and points of view.
  • While Trump can moderate a meeting, it's clear that as goes DACA and immigration he's either unwilling or unable to lead solutioneering of the issue. Which it be is not yet clear to me.
  • Trump doesn't give a damn about immigration/DACA policy or the people affected by it. What he cares about as go DACA/immigration policy is that he can claim a second (third if you count his SCOTUS appointment) major "win" of sorts by signing a second bill of substance.
    • "When this group comes back — hopefully with an agreement — this group and others from the Senate, from the House, comes back with an agreement, I’m signing it. I mean, I will be signing it. I’m not going to say, 'Oh, gee, I want this or I want that.' I’ll be signing it.
  • The oft made claim that Trump cannot be trusted was again confirmed. Trump's naysayers have never trusted him; however, now his supporters are finding out what the rest of us have long known: they cannot rely on what that man says.

"Nobody" need be reminded that among Trump's most widely desired and unequivocal campaign promises were that (1) he/we was (are) going to build a wall, not a fence, not a few hundred miles of wall or fence, not electronic sensors, etc., and (2) Mexico was going to pay for the wall. In yesterday's meeting, however, Trump expressed clearly his indifference about adhering to and fulfilling those signature promises of the Trump campaign, promises that, taken together, were key differentiating factors between him and his GOP primary opponents.

I'm sorry, but nobody gets to make a campaign promise as stridently as did Trump with his wall and Mexico paying for it and then simply walk away from it!!! Indeed, in the streets, in schools, and at Trump rallies, throngs of his supporters were so enamoured with Trump's commitment to Mexico paying for the wall that they chanted "build that wall" for minutes on end and when Trump asked, 'Who's going to pay for it?", they responded, "Mexico." And yesterday Trump made no mention of Mexico paying for the wall and expressed indifference about there even being a wall (or even a fence) such as he described. (It should also be noted that he's no longer committed to allowing the government to close down if he doesn't get funding for his wall.)

• Aspects of the flexibility Trump showed are what many people, myself included, from 2013 to 2015 when his candidacy was but a frequently enough heard rumor, had hoped Trump the candidate and POTUS would be.

One take away that has nothing to do with the subject matter of the meeting and everything to do with the governance process is that all policy deliberations the POTUS and members of Congress have, among their own staffs and colleagues as well as jointly, should be televised/recorded and, after redacting whatever national security content be in them, released within 24 hours of the conversations. What we saw in the televised portion of yesterday's meeting was a body of responsible people comporting themselves responsibly and temperately to develop solutions to a matter material quantities of Americans consider important. The behavior and remarks we observed from some of them was 180° different from the hyper-partisan way they speak when speaking on-air to reporters and news commentators, or even on their respective stump speeches, for that matter.

I think that is what should happen because it forces each and every participant in the meeting who desires not to look like a f*cking idiot/jerk to be on his/her best behavior, as it were, and work in a collaborative manner, in a manner conducive to accomplishing the work voters sent them to Washington to do. Whereas elected office holders can in one-on-one conversations with reporters and on political "talking heads" shows be intransigent, "spin" things six ways to the wind, and point fingers at "the other team/guys," they cannot do so in working meetings with colleagues that the American people will see and accomplish the governing they've been employed to do.

Unless this is part of your JOB Xelor -- DONT DO IT !!!

Watching Trump will rot your mind.

Watching Trump will rot your mind.

WTF are you talking about?

Like most things in American politics DACA, The Wall and illegal immigration is complicated. It doesn't help that it all gets stirred together into one big bowl of mush. This is how I see it.

1. DACA. That law was illegally enacted by Obama and needs to end. You can't keep dangling a carrot in front of desperate people in Mexico and Central America telling them "All you have to do is ship your kids up here and we'll take care of them". That is bad for America and it is extremely dangerous for the kids.

2. The Wall. I don't think that should be a priority when we have serious infrastructure problems that require attention. I also don't believe it benefits America to build a 1900 mile long 30 ft high wall.
There are bigger fish to fry IMO.

3. What to do with undocumented immigrants who are here now? Wholesale deportation is not practical because you are dealing with a broad spectrum of people. I want to see every MS-13 gang member, convicted felon or rapist deported as soon as possible. Top priority. However I don't want to see young people who have lived here most of their lives with no criminal record, who have jobs or in college deported. I don't think that benefits America. The rest of them? Deal with them on a case by case basis.

Like most things in American politics DACA, The Wall and illegal immigration is complicated. It doesn't help that it all gets stirred together into one big bowl of mush. This is how I see it.

1. DACA. That law was illegally enacted by Obama and needs to end. You can't keep dangling a carrot in front of desperate people in Mexico and Central America telling them "All you have to do is ship your kids up here and we'll take care of them". That is bad for America and it is extremely dangerous for the kids.

2. The Wall. I don't think that should be a priority when we have serious infrastructure problems that require attention. I also don't believe it benefits America to build a 1900 mile long 30 ft high wall.

3. What to do with undocumented immigrants who are here now? Wholesale deportation is not practical because you are dealing with a broad spectrum of people. I want to see every MS-13 gang member, convicted felon or rapist deported as soon as possible. Top priority. However I don't want to see young people who have lived here most of their lives with no criminal record, who have jobs or in college deported. I don't think that benefits America. The rest of them? Deal with them on a case by case basis.
TY for making substantive remarks that are largely bereft of partisan rhetorical BS.

I don't 100% agree with you, but I agree enough that I don't need to air my differences with your remarks.

Last edited:

TY for making substantive remarks that are largely bereft of partisan rhetorical BS.

I don't 100% agree with you, but I agree enough that I don't need to air my differences with them.
That is the nature of debate, at least what it used to be.

I don't 100% agree with you, but I agree enough that I don't need to air my differences with them.
That is the nature of debate, at least what it used to be.
Among mature people, it still is.

This explains my distrust of the man: His promises are worth less than nothing. From the right I remain a never trumper.

He has done good things because he was backed into it by the million ohm resisters.
From the right I remain a never trumper.

I should think that folks on the right, particularly those who voted for him, would be more piqued by his remarks and tone at the "DACA" meeting than are folks like me whose approbation he never earned.

For those who actually see and don't just hate on Trump.....what do we know for sure....

Trump wants....

The wall.
AN end to chain migration.
An end to the immigration lottery.
Increased border security measures.

For those things he will give...

DACA...which he also looks favorably on because of the people brought here by their parents......

So he stated everything he wants.

He gave nothing else....he did not address any other immigration issues....and did not say he was for legalization.

Unless he signs it.....he didn't agree to it....

This is where people like xelor go wrong......they think they understand Trump...and then fail to understand Trump. Xelor's entire post misses the truth about what actually happened because Trump derangement has been fully embraced.....

This explains my distrust of the man: His promises are worth less than nothing. From the right I remain a never trumper.

He has done good things because he was backed into it by the million ohm resisters.

Wrong...he has done everything he said he would do, that he can do without the knuckle heads in congress.....he has kept all of his promises...you either can't see it, or you are lying about your Trump support.

Wrong...he has done everything he said he would do, that he can do without the knuckle heads in congress.....he has kept all of his promises...you either can't see it, or you are lying about your Trump support.

Agreed, and the most important thing is to keep the faith: stay loyal. Trump is the best person to come along for us in many decades and if the leftists do manage to take him down, they will try to reinstitute socialism and open borders and Islam in America as fast as possible. Some people are too egotistic or power-hungry to stay strong, like the betrayal by Steve Bannon. So let's stay loyal.

Forum List

Back