Observances / Holidays - Which would you get rid of?

Which Holiday/Observance would you get rid of?

• Valentine's Day

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • Mother's Day

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Father's Day

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Memorial Day

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Labor Day

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Easter

• Christmas

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Thanksgiving

• Halloween

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • Something Else

Votes: 6 30.0%

• Total voters

Bonzi

Diamond Member
May 17, 2015
if you could get rid of any holiday/observance, which one would it be?

I would like to end all American holidays and start all new ones.

They ALL suck. It is all about how much money you can spend.
Christmas time is my favorite, not because of Christmas Day...kind of a sucky busy day really...I like it because December is the slowest month of the year in my business so I take pretty much half the month off or more. Lot's of time with friends and family...eating well...drinking well...that is a holiday.
My best idea for a holiday...during the summer, it is two days...the 1st Friday and Monday of August.
So basically it is a 4 day event.
"National Happy Fun Time"....ALL businesses are required to close by law. Only essential organizations like Hospitals, Police, Fire, Utility companies...etc. can be open.

The "Greeting Card" holidays are a racket.

When the country was primarily Christian, Easter and Christmas made sense, but now, I think people should be given PTO, like 7 to 10 days, to use anyway you want - you can still keep observances on the calendar and people that work can choose to celebrate whatever observances they want ... just thinking out loud....

The "Greeting Card" holidays are a racket.

When the country was primarily Christian, Easter and Christmas made sense, but now, I think people should be given PTO, like 7 to 10 days, to use anyway you want - you can still keep observances on the calendar and people that work can choose to celebrate whatever observances they want ... just thinking out loud....

Yabbut --- some of these, certainly Christmas, Thanksgiving, Hallowe'en .... are far more cultural icons more than religious ones. That means reliably-occurring traditions/rituals that people expect. And when "most" people expect a Christmas -- which is what "tradition" means -- then "most" people will need PTO for it, and there goes that time off your PTO.

Rituals and traditions are important. Far more so than religion. They make us community; they make us human.

I don't feel that way about Christmas.
Or Thanksgiving.

If it takes a Holiday for a country to feel unity, we are in deep trouble.

I'd get rid of "New Year's Day" though, without hesitation.

There's a holiday that has no reason whatsoever to exist. Marking the year 11 days after the fourth season begins? :wtf:

And actually "celebrating" the inevitable makes even less sense. What, did we think the clock was going to just jam at midnight? Might as well celebrate the fact that 7:22 and 13 seconds happened. It's completely arbitrary.

I don't feel that way about Christmas.
Or Thanksgiving.

If it takes a Holiday for a country to feel unity, we are in deep trouble.

Not "as a country" --- not at all what I mean. As a community.

The "Greeting Card" industry certainly is a racket though, agreed. As is all the hyper-advertising starting in October for Christmas, as is the whole "Black Friday" mentality. That's as stupid as New Year's Day.

If I want to send someone a card or token that means something, I'll make it myself. That way they know it's sincere.

Key words - "get rid of".

I would get rid of none. No way would I be in favor of telling people what holidays they can celebrate.

BUT, I would end ALL paid days off for holidays because its unfair. It requires that some of us go to work that day to pay the wages for those who got the day off but still got paid.

I also believe its wrong to have christian holidays while we don't also have the holidays of other religions.

The Constitution doesn't say 'equality only for christians'.

Christmas time is my favorite, not because of Christmas Day...kind of a sucky busy day really...I like it because December is the slowest month of the year in my business so I take pretty much half the month off or more. Lot's of time with friends and family...eating well...drinking well...that is a holiday.
My best idea for a holiday...during the summer, it is two days...the 1st Friday and Monday of August.
"National Happy Fun Time"....ALL businesses are required to close by law. Only essential organizations like Hospitals, Police, Fire, Utility companies...etc. can be open.

Well apart from Labor Day and Memorial Day, the rest aren't just American holidays, we have those things also.

I voted to get rid of Halloween, because it's Satanic and it frightens me :eek-52: :crybaby:

Well apart from Labor Day and Memorial Day, the rest aren't just American holidays, we have those things also.

I voted to get rid of Halloween, because it's Satanic and it frightens me :eek-52: :crybaby:

Boo. :dev3:

I like Hallowe'en. Not only is it weird, it gives me a chance to practice my linguisitic archconservatism.

It's not "Satanic" though. Satan's a Christianist invention. There's no such thing.

How about Dia de los Muertos?

Boo. :dev3:

I like Hallowe'en. Not only is it weird, it gives me a chance to practice my linguisitic archconservatism.

It's not "Satanic" though. Satan's a Christianist invention. There's no such thing.

How about Dia de los Muertos?

No :lalala: I knew you were evil....EVIL I tell you :eek-52: :tongue:

Keep them all, but, companies can only start advertising for holidays 30 days in advance. Stop ruining Christmas by advertising in September.

Rarity imparts the greatest value to things. One a year doesn't mean 4 months of the year.

I would add one, National Emperor Ringel Worship Day. It would be mandatory to place valuable offerings at my temples under pain of death. Everyone will love it!!!

I would add one, National Emperor Ringel Worship Day. It would be mandatory to place valuable offerings at my temples under pain of death. Everyone will love it!!!

Part of the new Monarchy, right? :)

I don't mind Halloween. But I don't like the "evil" / "horror" part of it. I see no need for that.

I don't mind Halloween. But I don't like the "evil" / "horror" part of it. I see no need for that.

But I don't like the "evil" / "horror" part of it

tis the reason for the season.

Halloween without monsters is like Christmas without Santa

Down with Groundhog Day! I get tired of the extra 6 weeks of winter because of Punxsutawney Phil.

upload_2016-5-26_23-27-33.png

Forum List

Back