Obozo gives cities OK to issue ID /debit cards to illegals

ShootSpeeders

Gold Member
May 13, 2012
USC 1324 makes it a federal crime to encourage an alien to live in america.

8 USC § 1324 - Bringing in and harboring certain aliens | LII / Legal Information Institute

But as with his amnesty, obozo just ignores his own laws and the media and repubs let him get away with it!!

Oakland's ID cards for illegal workers - SFGate

Oakland's ID cards for illegal workers

Published 4:44 pm, Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Starting next year, the city will begin issuing municipal identification cards to help residents without legal immigration status. Such cards are critical for tasks that range from the urgent, like an interaction with police, to the everyday, like cashing a check.

"For a city that is mostly people of color with a large immigrant population, I think it's important that the local government responds to the needs of all the populations in the city," said outgoing Councilman Ignacio De La Fuente, who worked on the issue with Mayor Jean Quan. "An ID card is one of those needs."

Critics of such cards describe the program in words even supporters might not dispute.

"A card like this legitimizes the presence of illegal immigrants," said Mark Krikorian, executive director of the Center for Immigration Studies, a Washington, D.C.-based think tank that advocates for stricter immigration control. "It's a message from the city government that federal law isn't as important to the city as its own regulations."

Other cities have established municipal identification cards, including San Francisco, New Haven, Conn., and Washington, D.C. Los Angeles and Richmond have cards in the works.

Oakland's is particularly notable because it also doubles as a debit card, a feature believed to be unique nationally, but whose complexity ended up delaying the cards for three years. The card also does not require individuals to be identified by gender, a detail transgender advocates sought.

This looks more like the state of CA and the City of Oakland ignoring laws.
I'm not sure why you are trying to pin this on Mr Obama.

Because immigration & naturalization is under the authority of the federal government (The executive branch), and thus, so as long as the federal government refuses to clamp down on California or Oakland it might as well be an endorsement.

Because immigration & naturalization is under the authority of the federal government (The executive branch), and thus, so as long as the federal government refuses to clamp down on California or Oakland it might as well be an endorsement.

True, but it is the city issuing the ID cards.

Issuing ID cards so they may function as citizens/permanent residents/legal immigrants. Thats not in their jurisdiction just as much as it is not in Arizona's jusridiction to enforce federal immigration law. It is possible for a state to be in violation of a federal crime. This is one of those circumstances.

Last edited:
  • Banned

They're brazenly violating federal law. Obozo must have told them its ok. Anyway - he knows about it now so why isn't he prosecuting oakland officials??

Tell it to Arizona.

This was not done by President Obama. Typical of rw's to ignore the facts.

• Banned
Because immigration & naturalization is under the authority of the federal government .

And that needs to change. All the constitution gives the feds authority to do is "establish a uniform rule for naturalization." By the tenth amendment all other aspects of immigration are local.

So I would support Oakland doing this if they said it's a state matter and the feds should butt out. Of course they aren't doing that.

Incorrect.

This has nothing to do with the president, who has no authority over local jurisdictions.

It’s the responsibility of Federal immigration officials to address the issue of undocumented immigration, not state and local jurisdictions. And Federal authorities have been enforcing immigration law, deporting more undocumented persons than the previous administration.

It’s consequently partisan idiocy to ‘blame’ Obama.

And local jurisdictions issuing ID cards violate no law, there’s nothing for Federal authorities to ‘clamp down’ on. Indeed, not only are local jurisdictions not violating the law, but they’re in compliance with current Constitutional case law on the issue and due process jurisprudence overall: until such time as a person is found guilty of being in the country illegally, he is presumed innocent of that crime.

Local jurisdictions have every right to issue IDs in the context of public safety, to ensure compliance with local regulations, and assist residents in times of emergency.

This was not done by President Obama. Typical of rw's to ignore the facts.

No one is saying obozo is issuing the cards. But it's obvious he told oakland to go ahead and he will look the other way to their obvious violation of federal law.

This has nothing to do with the president, who has no authority over local jurisdictions.

HAHAHA. Did you really say that? I wish it was true but the feds are always telling cities and states what to do. What part of the moon do you live on.?

"It takes decades to change people's hearts in the culture, but you can certainly eliminate the unfair laws and practices of institutions," she said. "This card knocks down some of those barriers.

Another hilarious quote from the article. Does mexico give ID cards to illegals?

They're brazenly violating federal law. Obozo must have told them its ok. Anyway - he knows about it now so why isn't he prosecuting oakland officials??

It's called "selective enforcement of the law" which is a contradiction within itself and the opposite of equal protection under the law.

Does it matter? wrong is wrong.

Incorrect.

It’s the responsibility of Federal immigration officials to address the issue of undocumented immigration, not state and local jurisdictions. And Federal authorities have been enforcing immigration law, deporting more undocumented persons than the previous administration.

And local jurisdictions issuing ID cards violate no law, there’s nothing for Federal authorities to ‘clamp down’ on. Indeed, not only are local jurisdictions not violating the law, but they’re in compliance with current Constitutional case law on the issue and due process jurisprudence overall: until such time as a person is found guilty of being in the country illegally, he is presumed innocent of that crime.

Local jurisdictions have every right to issue IDs in the context of public safety, to ensure compliance with local regulations, and assist residents in times of emergency.

If that is the case then it is perfectly legal for Arizona to arrest and lock up illegals within their state. I'm glad we cleared that up.

USC 1324 makes it a federal crime to encourage an alien to live in america.

8 USC § 1324 - Bringing in and harboring certain aliens | LII / Legal Information Institute

But as with his amnesty, obozo just ignores his own laws and the media and repubs let him get away with it!!

Oakland's ID cards for illegal workers - SFGate

Oakland's ID cards for illegal workers

Published 4:44 pm, Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Starting next year, the city will begin issuing municipal identification cards to help residents without legal immigration status. Such cards are critical for tasks that range from the urgent, like an interaction with police, to the everyday, like cashing a check.

"For a city that is mostly people of color with a large immigrant population, I think it's important that the local government responds to the needs of all the populations in the city," said outgoing Councilman Ignacio De La Fuente, who worked on the issue with Mayor Jean Quan. "An ID card is one of those needs."

Critics of such cards describe the program in words even supporters might not dispute.

"A card like this legitimizes the presence of illegal immigrants," said Mark Krikorian, executive director of the Center for Immigration Studies, a Washington, D.C.-based think tank that advocates for stricter immigration control. "It's a message from the city government that federal law isn't as important to the city as its own regulations."

Other cities have established municipal identification cards, including San Francisco, New Haven, Conn., and Washington, D.C. Los Angeles and Richmond have cards in the works.

Oakland's is particularly notable because it also doubles as a debit card, a feature believed to be unique nationally, but whose complexity ended up delaying the cards for three years. The card also does not require individuals to be identified by gender, a detail transgender advocates sought.

I guess honest debate is out of the question here since your thread title itself is a lie.

Incorrect.

well even though the OP out and out lied and accused Obama of doing something he didn't do,you are entirely wrong on this point. As per the supremacy clause the federal government can certainly tell local jurisdictions what to do.

If the Obama administration cared about our laws, they would sue those cities, just like they did Arizona. I guess they only go after states and cities who obey laws and condone those who openly break laws. Sanctuary cities and others who cater to those here illegally should be the ones the feds go after.

Forum List

Back