Obomination: Food Prices Skyrocketed In 2011...

Care to divulge the source of your information?

The Bureau of Labor Statistics. They place the precise methodology right on the interwebs for all to see! You should check it out.

Yeah I must have pulled up a different BLS site because they had 12 months food inflation to June as only being 2.7%

We were discussing 2011. Please read the thread title for verification of that fact.

I guess food inflation must have plummeted between Jan 12 and June 12.

Indeed, the raw numbers are an average of under .2% each month.
Also, I don't believe they adjust for decreases in packaging, they use the term "weight" to mean relative importance, not heaviness or volume

I'm not interested in what you "believe", Frank. I'm interested in the facts.

The Bureau of Labor Statistics. They place the precise methodology right on the interwebs for all to see! You should check it out.

Yeah I must have pulled up a different BLS site because they had 12 months food inflation to June as only being 2.7%

We were discussing 2011. Please read the thread title for verification of that fact.

I guess food inflation must have plummeted between Jan 12 and June 12.

Also, I don't believe they adjust for decreases in packaging, they use the term "weight" to mean relative importance, not heaviness or volume

I see food inflation for 2011-12 4.4% (I don't mean I checked, I'm just going by what you're saying), but June 11-June 12 2.7%.

And again, I don't see where they adjust for decreasing in package sizes.

Last edited:

I see food inflation for 2011-12 4.4% (I don't mean I checked, I'm just going by what you're saying), but June 11-June 12 2.7%.

I agree. I'm not sure what the point of that is. It means that, relative to last year, food inflation has declined. That makes sense because the effects of QE2 are wearing off.

49% of land in this country grows non-edible commodity crops. 1.9% grows actual food for us. What does that tell you? 1/3 of all oil imported goes to growing "commodities" ... think that is a coincidence

No not at all,what % of non edible crops are feed ? and what % of said feed feeds things we eat??

We can not feed everyone with organic mom and pop farms. We will still need large scale farming to meet demands,if we start starving people all over the world we might.

Cows aren't supposed to eat corn anyway. It makes them very sick - hence the overfeeding of antibiotics (another huge problem, and yet another thread). Yes we could grow enough to feed ourselves with "mom and pop organic farms". There are now even huge organic farms. The commodity crops we grow are to make a corporation profits, not to feed Americans. Accept it, it's true, and why can't you get that through your thick skull? Think of all the jobs we could create if Americans went back to real farming on that re-claimed 50% of arable farmland using practices that shrug off all but the most dust-bowl drought conditions. I'm doing it myself next year. Is ConAgra paying you or something?

Forum List

Back