Obomination: Food Prices Skyrocketed In 2011...

This is 2012.

And when corn rises because of the drought, I guess that will be Obama's fault, amiright?

The figures for 2012 aren't in yet, we're only halfway through the year.

Corn is rising more because of ethanol subsidies, not weather.

We still have ethanol subsidies?

NO we don't!

We don't true enough,but ethanol still drives up corn and all other grains,where farmers were planting oats they are now planting corn,oats have gone up because of supply and demand.

We blend 10% in gas now,the Feds want it moved up to 15%,where will crop prices go next??

Feeding the masses made that move necessary yellow dent corn is in everything almost.

Bullshit. We produce 3000 more calories than every man, woman and child needs (above the aready bloated requested 2000 calories per day) in this country. We have a GLUT of corn thanks to subsidies (which only help mega-corporations' profits - wreaks hell on real farmers). There are many books and statistics out there on this. You could read and educate yourself.

" why did the powerful corn ethanol lobby let it expire without an apparent fight? The answer lies in legislation known as the Renewable Fuel Standard (RFS), which creates government-guaranteed demand that keeps corn prices high and generates massive farm profits. Removing the tax credit but keeping the RFS is like scraping a little frosting from the ethanol-boondoggle cake.

The RFS mandates that at least 37 percent of the 2011-12 corn crop be converted to ethanol and blended with the gasoline that powers our cars…[As a result] the current price of corn on the Chicago Mercantile Exchange is about $6.50 per bushel—almost triple the pre-mandate level."

The subsidy is gone, but the policy of incentivizing ethanol is not.

Ethanol Subsidies: Not Gone, Just Hidden a Little Better | Mother Jones

Feeding the masses made that move necessary yellow dent corn is in everything almost.

Bullshit. We produce 3000 more calories than every man, woman and child needs (above the aready bloated requested 2000 calories per day) in this country. We have a GLUT of corn thanks to subsidies (which only help mega-corporations' profits - wreaks hell on real farmers). There are many books and statistics out there on this. You could read and educate yourself.

By all means read some more yourself. There was a time when we didn't. We still wouldn't be able to feed everyone with out big Ag.

By all means read some more yourself. There was a time when we didn't. We still wouldn't be able to feed everyone with out big Ag.

Yes we would. I just proved that to you. Big ag is not about feeding people, but commodities trading, paying farmers as little as possible and massive profit-making. That's it. They don't care if we starve or prosper. 49% of land in this country grows non-edible commodity crops. 1.9% grows actual food for us. What does that tell you? 1/3 of all oil imported goes to growing "commodities" ... think that is a coincidence?

Last edited:
This is an issue that matters most to average Americans. Obama has failed. Period, end of story.

^^^ Oh brother. Because you say so, it MUST be true. How is a massive drought his fault again? I'll bet you think your beloved, benevolent agriculture corporations will not take this opportunity of higher prices to make massive profits too in order to keep "food" costs down. Well, they don't actually grow food, do they?

This is 2012.

And when corn rises because of the drought, I guess that will be Obama's fault, amiright?

last years weather that ruined crops is still Obama's fault, No longer does the right pray for rain to God, they pray to Obama for rain.

Yes we would. I just proved that to you

No we couldn't and no you didn't.

Ok, so what if we devoted 49% of our arable land to sustainable farming that actually improves the soil, uses low to no petrochemicals or pesticides AND GROWS ACTUAL FOOD FOR AMERICANS ... instead of just 1.9%? Yes I did just prove it. You some kind of big ag corporate stooge or something? Did you even LOOK at the study? Who actually benefits from commodity crops... us? Nope, not us.

49% of land in this country grows non-edible commodity crops. 1.9% grows actual food for us. What does that tell you? 1/3 of all oil imported goes to growing "commodities" ... think that is a coincidence

No not at all,what % of non edible crops are feed ? and what % of said feed feeds things we eat??

We can not feed everyone with organic mom and pop farms. We will still need large scale farming to meet demands,if we start starving people all over the world we might.

This is 2012.

last years weather that ruined crops is still Obama's fault, No longer does the right pray for rain to God, they pray to Obama for rain.

Nothing is Obama's fault.

Not Ever.

We add to the list of

"Thing that Want to Hurt Obama because they're probably racist"

Airport kiosks
bank atm's
bad luck
Japan tsunami
weather

This is 2012.

Nothing is Obama's fault.

Not Ever.

We add to the list of

"Thing that Want to Hurt Obama because they're probably racist"

Airport kiosks
bank atm's
bad luck
Japan tsunami
weather

well let the ronpaulite know.

Why Yes, Frank - they do.

Care to divulge the source of your information?

The Bureau of Labor Statistics. They place the precise methodology right on the interwebs for all to see! You should check it out.

Yeah I must have pulled up a different BLS site because they had 12 months food inflation to June as only being 2.7%

I guess food inflation must have plummeted between Jan 12 and June 12.

Also, I don't believe they adjust for decreases in packaging, they use the term "weight" to mean relative importance, not heaviness or volume

Consumer Price Index Summary

Which BLS did you mean?

Forum List

Back