Obomination: By Pressuring Justices, Obama May Have Violated Code Of Legal Ethics...

paulitician

Platinum Member
Oct 7, 2011
When President Obama forcefully lectured the Supreme Court last week on the constitutionality of his health care law, he may have done more than simply attack an independent branch of government — he seems to have violated the code of legal ethics.

Every lawyer in America is bound by a code of ethics that governs membership in the profession. Ethical rules are not law per se, but ethics committees have the power to bar lawyers from practicing law.

President Obama received his license to practice law in Illinois in 1991, and presumably he knows the code of ethics. Illinois requires applicants to pass an ethics examination, known as the Multistate Professional Responsibility Examination, in order to be admitted to the bar. This test is taken in addition to the bar examination.

The relevant Illinois ethics rule is Rule 3.5 of the Illinois Rules of Professional Responsibility: “A lawyer shall not: (a) seek to influence a judge, juror, prospective juror or other official by means prohibited by law …”

In his April 2nd Rose Garden speech, President Obama said:

I think the justices should understand that in the absence of an individual mandate, you cannot have a mechanism to ensure that people with pre-existing conditions can actually get health care.

Ultimately, I’m confident that the Supreme Court will not take what would be an extraordinary step of overturning a law that was passed by a strong majority of a democratically elected Congress.

Obama used his presidential office to influence the high court.

To be sure, Teddy Roosevelt, Franklin Roosevelt and Richard Nixon also famously attacked the Supreme Court. In fact, President Obama attacked the Supreme Court’s Citizens United decision in his 2010 State of the Union address. That, too, was an unprecedented attack on the court — no president had ever criticized the justices from the floor of the House of Representatives on live television before — but it was not an ethical violation...

Read more: By pressuring justices, Obama may have violated the code of legal ethics | The Daily Caller

When President Obama forcefully lectured the Supreme Court last week on the constitutionality of his health care law, he may have done more than simply attack an independent branch of government — he seems to have violated the code of legal ethics.

Every lawyer in America is bound by a code of ethics that governs membership in the profession. Ethical rules are not law per se, but ethics committees have the power to bar lawyers from practicing law.

President Obama received his license to practice law in Illinois in 1991, and presumably he knows the code of ethics. Illinois requires applicants to pass an ethics examination, known as the Multistate Professional Responsibility Examination, in order to be admitted to the bar. This test is taken in addition to the bar examination.

The relevant Illinois ethics rule is Rule 3.5 of the Illinois Rules of Professional Responsibility: “A lawyer shall not: (a) seek to influence a judge, juror, prospective juror or other official by means prohibited by law …”

In his April 2nd Rose Garden speech, President Obama said:

I think the justices should understand that in the absence of an individual mandate, you cannot have a mechanism to ensure that people with pre-existing conditions can actually get health care.

Ultimately, I’m confident that the Supreme Court will not take what would be an extraordinary step of overturning a law that was passed by a strong majority of a democratically elected Congress.

Obama used his presidential office to influence the high court.

To be sure, Teddy Roosevelt, Franklin Roosevelt and Richard Nixon also famously attacked the Supreme Court. In fact, President Obama attacked the Supreme Court’s Citizens United decision in his 2010 State of the Union address. That, too, was an unprecedented attack on the court — no president had ever criticized the justices from the floor of the House of Representatives on live television before — but it was not an ethical violation...

Read more: By pressuring justices, Obama may have violated the code of legal ethics | The Daily Caller

Obama has shown that it just somehow doesn't apply to him by his very actions.

I think I'll give John Edwards a call. He still has his license. I need to sue a doctor.

You sure? He has his own set of problems at the moment:

Jury selection under way in John Edwards criminal trial

BRECK_GIRL.jpg

(Image: EIB )​

Last edited:

Forum List

Back