Obligation to "society"

If you don't care for society, why are you in a society?

My question has nothng to do with liking or disliking anything. it was a simple question as to what ones obligations are.

There are costs to living in a country like ours, and I like to think one of the things that makes this country great is that we have great services available to help members of our society through difficult times

If one's on;y obligation to society is to follow the law them one will pay his taxes so what is your point? I never mentioned taxes or costs of anything.

I think what you'd rather prefer is some random African country.

Completely unrelated to the question

You make it seem like we're living in a North Korea esque environment here, and it's totally not the case.

All I did was ask a question all the other subjective crap is of your own making

I have been hearing a lot from the sheep lately that we have some sort of obligation to society as a whole.

Well do we really?

I feel a duty to society, you don't.

I am forced to pay taxes far over the actual value of government services I receive isn't that enough?

Taxes pay for defense, from other human societies and from bacteria in your food, water and the air; if you collapse on the street, are knocked unconscious in a car accident, or shot yourself in the foot, you will be cared for - rich or poor, taxpayer or not.

What else am I obligated to do for "society"?

Am I responsible for the safety of other peoples' children?

I feel such an obligation, I would have expected strangers to protect my kids, now grown, I still support laws which protect kids and I would too in a circumstance wherein a child or another adult was in danger. You don't. Why?

Am I responsible for the bills and livelihood of other people?

Nope, though your religious beliefs may teach such a duty.

Just what does this obligation entail?

Shouldn't it be enough that I live my life without impeding anyone else from doing the same?

Yep. As long as you don't imped others by word or deed. Seem to be a rather pitiful life though.

Sure, that is your right. I'm not judging you, I simply wouldn't want you as a neighbor.

I wish you would learn to use the quote function.

And you have no idea how I get along with my neighbors.

In fact I'll probably be spending hours plowing out my neighbors and friends this weekend because we're supposed to be getting 2 feet of snow.

But do I have an obligation to plow out everyone in town?

Do I have an obligation to protect your kids from harm if you won't?

And I live my life by the mind your own business philosophy so I do not ever try to impede another as long as what they do has no effect on me.

I'm reminded of this famous Heinlein quote:

Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire. The former are idealists acting from highest motives for the greatest good of the greatest number. The latter are surely curmudgeons, suspicious and lacking in altruism. But they make better neighbors than the other sort.

I have been hearing a lot from the sheep lately that we have some sort of obligation to society as a whole.

Well do we really?

I am forced to pay taxes far over the actual value of government services I receive isn't that enough?

Shouldn't it be enough that I live my life without impeding anyone else from doing the same?

It's in the Constitution.

You live in a country you had no hand in starting..and have no "obligation" to continue living in if you find the conditions that reprehensible.

You can find a land bereft of civilization, and start over.

Or..if you are feeling the need for bloody revolution, you can do that too. Be warned, however, that the latter has dire consequences, even for those who are successful.

Where in the consitution does it say people who make money have to support people who don't, can't, or won't?

Easy Peasy: nowhere.

4 in 100 human beings are sociopaths.

3 will be men and 1 a woman.

this OP is just one of the three

One can feel no obligation to "society" and not be a sociopath.

Poor daft TMN is of the Obama False Strawman school of thinking.

"On the one hand are those who think we all should do our Fair Share to help The Poor, on the other hand, are those who cook and eat The Poors' babies."

Well do we really?

I do not owe society a damned thing, I fucking paid my debt.

A
What you just described is NOT a society, but its DISINTEGRATION.

Such "society" has no future.

Absolutely true. Which is why this nation is disintegrating. It has no future.

Then get out. Live out your wretched life elsewhere. This country is going through rough patches, but will be fine.

I'm here for the subversion. Like democrats, attacking from within, but from a different direction.

Well do we really?

Not even close

Well do we really?

Nonsense.

If you were compelled to pay for the same services to private contractors out of pocket you’d be spending a lot more and getting a lot less.

The services you receive from your local, state, and Federal governments for the pittance of tax you pay affords you the best value for your tax dollars.

American taxpayers clearly have no idea how good they have it; or how miserable they’d be if the many services they receive were suddenly ended.

This inane whining about taxes and obligations is a classic example of how intellectually bankrupt conservative dogma is.

Well do we really?

Not even close

Wanna bet?

Well do we really?

Nonsense.

If you were compelled to pay for the same services to private contractors out of pocket you’d be spending a lot more and getting a lot less.

The services you receive from your local, state, and Federal governments for the pittance of tax you pay affords you the best value for your tax dollars.

American taxpayers clearly have no idea how good they have it; or how miserable they’d be if the many services they receive were suddenly ended.

This inane whining about taxes and obligations is a classic example of how intellectually bankrupt conservative dogma is.

Prove it, provide links to studies and the raw data that backs them up. Or admit you are pulling """""facts""""" out of thin air by ignoring this post.

You owe society positive contributions in the way that you can. What you do, positively or negatively, comes back upon you. That is called the Law of Karma.

It is not a hint or suggestion. It is a LAW.

Regards from Rosie

You owe society positive contributions in the way that you can. What you do, positively or negatively, comes back upon you. That is called the Law of Karma.

It is not a hint or suggestion. It is a LAW.

Regards from Rosie

Karma is just mystical bullshit

Well do we really?

Nonsense.

And you can prove that?

What services? I have a private well and septic so I am responsible for the upkeep and cost of those systems. I don't have kids so I don't use public schools (if I did have kids I would home school) What do I get that is worth the almost 60K a year I spend in taxes?

Again what services?

The OP was not about taxes

Well do we really?

Nonsense.

Prove it, provide links to studies and the raw data that backs them up. Or admit you are pulling """""facts""""" out of thin air by ignoring this post.

He is merely stating the obvious

Nonsense.

He is merely stating the obvious

It is obvious that the Earth is flat, it is also wrong.

Forum List

Back