Objectivism - Is It Flawed?

Bonzi

Diamond Member
May 17, 2015
It's been years since I've read Atlas Shrugged, but, this philosophy sounds pretty close to my line of thinking.

What are some observable flaws to this philosophy?

Morally, Objectivism advocates the virtues of rational self-interest—virtues such as independent thinking, productiveness, justice, honesty, and self-responsibility.

Culturally, Objectivism advocates scientific advancement, industrial progress, objective (as opposed to “progressive” or faith-based) education, romantic art—and, above all, reverence for the faculty that makes all such values possible: reason.

Politically, Objectivism advocates pure, laissez-faire capitalism—the social system of individual rights and strictly limited government—along with the whole moral and philosophical structure on which it depends.

I had come to the conclusion you were a Randite. Randian thinking is why fish stocks are depleted and sperm and right whales nearly non existent. 'Rational self interest'.

Last edited:
I was an Objectivist when I was in school. I only disposed of my Ayn Rand books a few years ago.

And though I am sympathetic to the philosophy, it is fundamentally flawed, like all philosophies. Its framework was based on a theory about how people should act, as opposed to how they actually act. People are fundamentally social animals and are often driven by impulses other than rationality.

Also, Rand was a bit of a whackjob. She thought health warnings about smoking were a government conspiracy. She died of cardiovascular disease caused by the effects of smoking and had lung cancer.

I was an Objectivist when I was in school. I only disposed of my Ayn Rand books a few years ago.

And though I am sympathetic to the philosophy, it is fundamentally flawed, like all philosophies. Its framework was based on a theory about how people should act, as opposed to how they actually act. People are fundamentally social animals and are often driven by impulses other than rationality.

Also, Rand was a bit of a whackjob. She thought health warnings about smoking were a government conspiracy. She died of cardiovascular disease caused by the effects of smoking and had lung cancer.
"all philosophies are fundamentally flawed" is a flawed philosophy

Flawed yes, absolutely horrid yes.There is so much interesting philosophic writing and thought in the world I have no idea how anyone can read the nonsense and poor writing of Ayn Rand? I tried even. I'll include a few links below but first Whittaker Chambers' 1957 Review. Read it.

"Thus, Randian Man, like Marxian Man, is made the center of a godless world."

"Out of a lifetime of reading, I can recall no other book in which a tone of overriding arrogance was so implacably sustained. Its shrillness is without reprieve. Its dogmatism is without appeal. In addition, the mind which finds this tone natural to it shares other characteristics of its type. 1) It consistently mistakes raw force for strength, and the rawer the force, the more reverent the posture of the mind before it. 2) It supposes itself to be the bringer of a final revelation. Therefore, resistance to the Message cannot be tolerated because disagreement can never be merely honest, prudent, or just humanly fallible." Whittaker Chambers Whittaker Chambers 1957 Review of Ayn Rand

Internet sites worth your time.

Aeon | a world of ideas
Edge.org

If you want to understand our modern times and the power of money to manage ideas check out the following.

Invisible Hands: The Making of the Conservative Movement from the New Deal to Reagan by Kim Phillips-Fein
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/27833494-dark-money
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/33917107-on-tyranny

Older thread: http://www.usmessageboard.com/threa...ss-medicare-and-the-aca.552358/#post-15968919

It's been years since I've read Atlas Shrugged, but, this philosophy sounds pretty close to my line of thinking.

Morally, Objectivism advocates the virtues of rational self-interest—virtues such as independent thinking, productiveness, justice, honesty, and self-responsibility.

Culturally, Objectivism advocates scientific advancement, industrial progress, objective (as opposed to “progressive” or faith-based) education, romantic art—and, above all, reverence for the faculty that makes all such values possible: reason.

Politically, Objectivism advocates pure, laissez-faire capitalism—the social system of individual rights and strictly limited government—along with the whole moral and philosophical structure on which it depends.
I read Atlas Shrugged and thought it described a utopian vision with no basis in reality. There were only two kinds of people, makers and takers. As I recall there were two children both 'makers', but they didn't seem like real children to me. The world seemed like it was based on a religious ideal of good and evil. It was a black and white world when in reality the world is gray.

Like many conservatives today, she wanted to return to a past that never existed. An idealized America based on pure, laissez-faire capitalism, individual rights, sacred property rights, and strictly limited government. America in the 1800's maybe, an America that Americans dramatically changed in reaction to the extremes of that ideology.

Grow the Fuck up ..the Ayn Rand bitch was Crystal meth monster ...
quote-provision-for-others-is-a-fundamental-responsibility-of-human-life-woodrow-wilson-59-13-83.jpg

9caa5bf4065b543c9a932d5874117014--kid-quotes-laugh-quotes.jpg

Ayn Rand is directly responsible for markets collapsing since the DOT COM bubble.
Her, "If it feels good, do it!" Policy, clearly a Liberal Policy, when applied to finance, is suddenly embraced by neo-cons to justify greed.

Ayn Rand is directly responsible for markets collapsing since the DOT COM bubble.
Her, "If it feels good, do it!" Policy, clearly a Liberal Policy, when applied to finance, is suddenly embraced by neo-cons to justify greed.
I doubt she ever had any real influence but she espoused the exact opposite of a Liberal Policy. Her's was every man for himself.

I doubt she ever had any real influence but she espoused the exact opposite of a Liberal Policy. Her's was every man for himself.
She had to have influence ..she lived in a commune with Alan Greenspan who was in her inner circle and he was Chairman of the Federal Reserve 1987 -2006..she had to have influenced his thinking...

9caa5bf4065b543c9a932d5874117014--kid-quotes-laugh-quotes.jpg
I'm okay with that

I had come to the conclusion you were a Randite. Randian thinking is why fish stocks are depleted and sperm and right whales nearly non existent. 'Rational self interest'.
Depends on you ultimate goal in life. Your life is your own. It's all you truly have or know

Grow the Fuck up ..the Ayn Rand bitch was Crystal meth monster ...
quote-provision-for-others-is-a-fundamental-responsibility-of-human-life-woodrow-wilson-59-13-83.jpg
That's why I asked about the flaws. I love how people jump to conclusions, chomping at the bit to attack. Chill dude

Survival of the fittest. No matter what is done, it ALWAYS comes back to that. Nature is too strong to beat

Survival of the fittest. No matter what is done, it ALWAYS comes back to that. Nature is too strong to beat
She pegged survival of the fittest at the level of the individual and I think she was wrong. While true for animals, for man it is the society/culture that struggles to survive and not the individual. We are social animals and that means we are in it together so helping every individual contribute as much as they are able is in the best interests of the society.

She pegged survival of the fittest at the level of the individual and I think she was wrong. While true for animals, for man it is the society/culture that struggles to survive and not the individual. We are social animals and that means we are in it together so helping every individual contribute as much as they are able is in the best interests of the society.
Most animals work together at some level, but there are always leaders. When society tried to make everyone equal, it weakens

Most animals work together at some level, but there are always leaders. When society tried to make everyone equal, it weakens
The Bitch had an overt nihilistic attitude.

Forum List

Back