Object Lesson For Future Politicians: Be Careful What You Promise.

Czernobog

Gold Member
Sep 29, 2014
Corner of Chaos and Reason
Now, I'm sure that those on the right are going to have an entirely different view of this, but here is my take, anyway. I like Obama. I have never denied that I like Obama. I voted for him - twice. However, just because I like him, does not mean, contrary to popular opinion, that I agree with everything he's done. Flashback to his first campaign. Obama "promised" to close down Guantanamo Bay. I cringed when he said that. i cringed because I knew that was a promise he couldn't keep. obama, when he made that romise, obviously did not understnad the reality that closing down a military base - any military base, even Gitmo - requires Congressional approval. So, to make that promise was really promising something that obama had no real control over.

Now, he did it again. During the last election, Obama made a very clear promise:

“We are bringing our troops home from Afghanistan. And I've set a timetable. We will have them all out of there by 2014,” Obama said in Boulder, Colo., in September 2012. “Gov. Romney doesn't have a timetable. I think he's wrong. That's what's at stake in this election.”
Now, admittedly Romney was also promising to end the conflict in Afghanistan. the only difference is that he wasn't willing to publicize his timetable, as he felt that was telegraphing our plans to "our enemies". Unfortunately, Obama was again being a bit short-sighted. he didn't even conceive of the possibility that circumstances in the region could change, and our presence may be needed longer than anticipated.

This week, he signed a new security agreement with the leaders of Afghanistan.

1. This Agreement shall enter into force on January 1, 2015, after the Parties notify one another through diplomatic channels of the completion of their respective internal legal requirements necessary for the entry into force of this Agreement. It shall remain in force until the end of 2024 and beyond, unless terminated pursuant to paragraph 4 of this Article.​

Like I said, I'm sure those on the right are going to insist this was a "lie". I submit that this wasn't so much a lie, as it was unthinkingly making a promise that relies on things beyond one's ability to control; which, admittedly, isn't a whole lot better.

So, here's my advice to future politicians: be careful what you promise. make sure that before you promise something, that you are not making a promise that relies on the actions, and decisions of others in order to fulfill. I mean this is "If you like your plan, you can keep it" all over again. Obama keeps making promises that he does not have the ability to unilaterally keep - the promises rely on the ations of others to fulfill. don't do that, unless you want to come across as someone who makes promises they either won't, or can't keep.

Just my two cents...

Now, I'm sure that those on the right are going to have an entirely different view of this, but here is my take, anyway. I like Obama. I have never denied that I like Obama. I voted for him - twice. However, just because I like him, does not mean, contrary to popular opinion, that I agree with everything he's done. Flashback to his first campaign. Obama "promised" to close down Guantanamo Bay. I cringed when he said that. i cringed because I knew that was a promise he couldn't keep. obama, when he made that romise, obviously did not understnad the reality that closing down a military base - any military base, even Gitmo - requires Congressional approval. So, to make that promise was really promising something that obama had no real control over.

Now, he did it again. During the last election, Obama made a very clear promise:

“We are bringing our troops home from Afghanistan. And I've set a timetable. We will have them all out of there by 2014,” Obama said in Boulder, Colo., in September 2012. “Gov. Romney doesn't have a timetable. I think he's wrong. That's what's at stake in this election.”
Now, admittedly Romney was also promising to end the conflict in Afghanistan. the only difference is that he wasn't willing to publicize his timetable, as he felt that was telegraphing our plans to "our enemies". Unfortunately, Obama was again being a bit short-sighted. he didn't even conceive of the possibility that circumstances in the region could change, and our presence may be needed longer than anticipated.

1. This Agreement shall enter into force on January 1, 2015, after the Parties notify one another through diplomatic channels of the completion of their respective internal legal requirements necessary for the entry into force of this Agreement. It shall remain in force until the end of 2024 and beyond, unless terminated pursuant to paragraph 4 of this Article.​

Like I said, I'm sure those on the right are going to insist this was a "lie". I submit that this wasn't so much a lie, as it was unthinkingly making a promise that relies on things beyond one's ability to control; which, admittedly, isn't a whole lot better.

So, here's my advice to future politicians: be careful what you promise. make sure that before you promise something, that you are not making a promise that relies on the actions, and decisions of others in order to fulfill. I mean this is "If you like your plan, you can keep it" all over again. Obama keeps making promises that he does not have the ability to unilaterally keep - the promises rely on the ations of others to fulfill. don't do that, unless you want to come across as someone who makes promises they either won't, or can't keep.

Just my two cents...

This truly isn't Obama's fault. It is the fault of the American voter , who stupidly continues to vote for people who have no honor, no moral code, and no sense of honesty.

Why should politicians refrain from lying and or making promises they can't or wont keep , when the American idiot keeps electing those who show no desire to be honest?

As for Obama, I can see voting for him in 2008, I really can. People were sick of war, sick of lies, out of work , and just ready for a change, ANY change that promised something better, but his reelection in 2012 confirmed that the voters once again were idiots. Obama did absolutely NOTHING in his first term that warranted a second. And I mean NOTHING.

We as a nation are screwed unless and until we start electing leaders who have integrity and honor.

Write him a letter. I'm sure he'll thank you for being duped by him over and over and over and over

blah blah blah, I'm sure the right, blah blah blah Im sure the right

how old are you if you don't mind saying?

I'm sure you seem very young

I like Obama. I have never denied that I like Obama. I voted for him - twice.

talk about being duped....

i smell a libercommie in the area. :up:

he does still have his cult following. what around 30 something percent of the people still approves of him. sheesh

whoa, this a whole new EXCUSE they are now making for this lying, incompetent, failure of the idiot in chief/warmonger who pronounces corpsmen, CORPSE-man. get this one:

Last edited:

Just my two cents...

This truly isn't Obama's fault. It is the fault of the American voter , who stupidly continues to vote for people who have no honor, no moral code, and no sense of honesty.

Why should politicians refrain from lying and or making promises they can't or wont keep , when the American idiot keeps electing those who show no desire to be honest?

As for Obama, I can see voting for him in 2008, I really can. People were sick of war, sick of lies, out of work , and just ready for a change, ANY change that promised something better, but his reelection in 2012 confirmed that the voters once again were idiots. Obama did absolutely NOTHING in his first term that warranted a second. And I mean NOTHING.

We as a nation are screwed unless and until we start electing leaders who have integrity and honor.
All you've done is make my point for me. Let's simplify this:

You, and I are both broke, and you find this really nice pair of shoes you want for 8 bucks (yeah, I know...real fantasy-land, if you can find shoes for 8 bucks!). Now, my friend Sal owes me 20 bucks, and is supposed to pay me on Thursday, so I promise you that I will give you 10 buck on Friday. Well, Thursday comes, and goes, and Sal never shows up. Now, on Friday, I'm forced to apologize, and let you know I can 't give you the 10 bucks I promised. Now, since I made that promise in good faith, did I break that promise because of a "lack of integrity", or did I break that promise because of a lack of foresight, and because I was stupid, and I made that promise based on the outcome of events I had no control over?

You see, this is the lesson that I hope future politicians learn from the Obama campaigns, and the Obama administration. You put yourself at risk making promises based on the outcome of events you have no control over. Then, when things go sideways, it isn't gonna matter what the reasons are; your opponents are going to drill the situation down to the two simplest points: Did you make the promise? The answer is yes? Did you keep it? The answer is no? Well, anything else being said is just noise, obviously you're a man with no integrity!

I'm sure some politicians truly work towards the bold promises they make, but they know that if they can't fulfill them there will be no serious repercussions, because voters are willing to vote them in time and again. It seems like the average voter wants to be lied to.

I like Obama. I have never denied that I like Obama. I voted for him - twice.

talk about being duped....

i smell a libercommie in the area. :up:

he does still have his cult following. what around 30 something percent of the people still approves of him. sheesh
That`s about double the approval rate of the GOP led Congress is it not?

Forum List

Back