Obeying God

Has anybody here ever had God tell them something and then actually done it?

Has anybody here ever had God tell them something and then actually didn't do it?

Has anybody here never heard God say anything but obey Him anyways?

Has anybody ever never heard God say anything but live your life like normal?

Has anybody here ever had God tell them something and then actually didn't do it?

Which category do you fit into?
So because you don’t believe, you want to convince others not to believe?

What gives?

Just like all atheist, I prefer to be convinced. There is no fun in being an atheist and believing all things are pointless. Atheist who know Christians secretly hope they are wrong. I am no different. Please convince me.

The Christian life is wonderful. Atheist can only imagine what it is like to have all the ans wers.

What gives?

Just like all atheist, I prefer to be convinced. There is no fun in being an atheist and believing all things are pointless. Atheist who know Christians secretly hope they are wrong. I am no different. Please convince me.

The Christian life is wonderful. Atheist can only imagine what it is like to have all the ans wers.
Not my job to convince you. That’s between you and God.

Besides you are all over the map on this. Your story makes no sense.

What gives?

Was God the one that convinced you?

What gives?

I don’t have all the answers but I rely on God to guide me along the way. Whether you follow God or turn away from God his light is still inside of you regardless for when you are ready to return to Him. Ignore the physical buildings of churches, ignore the creeds and man-made structures and hierarchies, ignore the rules you are told to follow and the expectations others have of you. To have God in your life does not require any of those things. Jesus is an awesome teacher, mentor, and guide for life. Look at your loved ones and the world around you and it’s hard to see it all as pointless. He gave us that.

What gives?

He does work in mysterious ways.

What gives?

Most believers were convinced by a parent. An extremely smaller number of people were convinced by a missionary. An even smaller number of people were convinced by a friend or coworker. In my entire life I have never even heard of one person being convinced by God. It is very strange that you assign this task to God when His success rate is zero. If not zero it has to be a percentage with a lot of zeros after the decimal point. 99.9999+% of conversions were inspired by human beings. (I personally believe it is 100%.)

At some point this type of dishonesty isn't adorable anymore. God has never done anything and His believers know it. This isn't cute to me anymore. It is actually kind of gross to see grown ups act like this.

What gives?

I don’t have all the answers but I rely on God to guide me along the way. Whether you follow God or turn away from God his light is still inside of you regardless for when you are ready to return to Him. Ignore the physical buildings of churches, ignore the creeds and man-made structures and hierarchies, ignore the rules you are told to follow and the expectations others have of you. To have God in your life does not require any of those things. Jesus is an awesome teacher, mentor, and guide for life. Look at your loved ones and the world around you and it’s hard to see it all as pointless. He gave us that.
Ignore the physical buildings of churches, ignore the creeds and man-made structures and hierarchies, ignore the rules you are told to follow and the expectations others have of you. To have God in your life does not require any of those things. Jesus is an awesome teacher ...

would that be theistic - without christianity ... for true believers. the light inside you.

were you ignoring the 4th century christian bible as well, hopefully in following the light inside you ... * without that one book there is no other reference for jesus, more importantly their false claim of a messiah and nothing of that claim from jesus anywhere.

What gives?

Most believers were convinced by a parent. An extremely smaller number of people were convinced by a missionary. An even smaller number of people were convinced by a friend or coworker. In my entire life I have never even heard of one person being convinced by God. It is very strange that you assign this task to God when His success rate is zero. If not zero it has to be a percentage with a lot of zeros after the decimal point. 99.9999+% of conversions were inspired by human beings. (I personally believe it is 100%.)

At some point this type of dishonesty isn't adorable anymore. God has never done anything and His believers know it. This isn't cute to me anymore. It is actually kind of gross to see grown ups act like this.
I guess I am the first one then.

I doubt your assessment is statistically valid, but whatever you need to get you through the night.

What are you expecting God to do for you anyway and why?

What gives?

Ignore the physical buildings of churches, ignore the creeds and man-made structures and hierarchies, ignore the rules you are told to follow and the expectations others have of you. To have God in your life does not require any of those things. Jesus is an awesome teacher ...

would that be theistic - without christianity ... for true believers. the light inside you.

were you ignoring the 4th century christian bible as well, hopefully in following the light inside you ... * without that one book there is no other reference for jesus, more importantly their false claim of a messiah and nothing of that claim from jesus anywhere.

I’m sorry I’m trying to fully understand the question you are asking me. My comment about ignoring the physical building of a church can certainly be a Christian action to do in my opinion. Worshipping God does not require brick and mortar. For example Jesus taught wherever he could and so gathering together today to be inspired, to learn, to worship, can happen anywhere at anytime. When I mention the light inside of us that light is God and it’s in all of us. It’s why we are all equal.

I doubt your assessment is statistically valid, but whatever you need to get you through the night.

Whoa. How did that happen? Now you have my attention. Road to Damacus kind of thing?

Whoa. How did that happen? Now you have my attention. Road to Damacus kind of thing?
No. Flawed logic on your part.

What is it that you believe God owes you?

I don't owe God anything. He doesn't owe me anything. If I do owe Him something He at least owes me an explanation because I don't recall even having a conversation with Him. I mean... I have talked to Him but He never spoke back.

There are many times I told God I would do whatever He wants me to do. That offer still stands. Just keep in mind. That doesn't give you a free pass to tell me what ding wants me to do. It is what God wants me to do. It is not what ding wants me to do. There is a huge difference.

You can't monopolize on the authority of an omnipresent deity. You are a worthless human being just like me. So please do not try that bull shit.

If God is too shy to speak to me then He misses out on all the blessings I have to offer Him.

I don't owe God anything. He doesn't owe me anything. If I do owe Him something He at least owes me an explanation because I don't recall even having a conversation with Him. I mean... I have talked to Him but He never spoke back.

There are many times I told God I would do whatever He wants me to do. That offer still stands. Just keep in mind. That doesn't give you a free pass to tell me what ding wants me to do. It is what God wants me to do. It is not what ding wants me to do. There is a huge difference.

You can't monopolize on the authority of an omnipresent deity. You are a worthless human being just like me. So please do not try that bull shit.

If God is too shy to speak to me then He misses out on all the blessings I have to offer Him.
I’m not telling you what to do and I never claimed I was special.

It sounds to me like you do believe God owes you something and that you believe you would have done a better job than him.

Read Job 40 for his response.

But putting that aside, how certain are you that God hasn’t spoken to you? What will your answer be to him when he tells you he was with you every step of the way speaking in a very quite voice?

If the universe were created through natural process and we are an accidental happenstance of matter and energy doing what matter and energy do, then there should be no expectation for absolute morals. Morals can be anything we want them to be. The problem is that nature does have a preference for an outcome. Societies and people which behave with virtue experience order and harmony. Societies and people which behave without virtue experience disorder and chaos. So we can see from the outcomes that not all behaviors have equal outcomes. That some behaviors have better outcomes and some behaviors have worse outcomes. This is the moral law at work. If the universe was created by spirit for the express purpose of creating beings that know and create we would expect that we would receive feedback on how we behave. The problem is that violating moral laws are not like violating physical laws. When we violate a physical law the consequences are immediate. If you try to defy gravity by jumping off a roof you will fall. Whereas the consequences for violating a moral law are more probabilistic in nature; many times we get away with it.

Morals are effectively standards. For any given thing there exists a standard which is the highest possible standard. This standard exists independent of anything else. It is in effect a universal standard. It exists for a reason. When we deviate from this standard and normalize our deviance from the standard, eventually the reason the standard exists will be discovered. The reason this happens is because error cannot stand. Eventually error will fail and the truth will be discovered. Thus proving that morals cannot be anything we want them to be but are indeed based upon some universal code of common decency that is independent of man.

So the question that naturally begs to be asked is if there is a universal code of common decency that is independent of man how come we all don't behave the same way when it comes to right and wrong? The reason man doesn't behave the same way is because of subjectivity. The difference between being objective and being subjective is bias. Bias is eliminated when there is no preference for an outcome. To eliminate a preference for an outcome one must have no thought of the consequences to one's self. If one does not practice this they will see subjective truth instead of objective truth. Subjective truth leads to moral relativism. Where consequences to self and preferences for an outcome leads to rationalizations of right and wrong.

Man does know right from wrong and when he violates it rather than abandoning the concept of right and wrong he rationalizes he did not violate it. You can see this behavior in almost all quarrels and disagreements. At the heart of every quarrel and disagreement is a belief in a universal right and wrong. So even though each side believes right to be different each side expects the other to believe their side should be universally known and accepted. It is this behavior which tells us there is an expectation for an absolute truth.

If there were never a universal truth that existed man would never have an expectation of fairness to begin with because fairness would have no meaning. The fact that each of us has an expectation of fairness and that we expect everyone else to follow ought to raise our suspicion on the origin of that expectation.

If we start with the premise that spirit created the material world and created laws of nature which not only predestined beings that know and create to arise but also to mold or evolve their level of consciousness, then it is not a giant leap to believe that besides the constant feedback we receive from the universe that either correct or reinforce our behaviors that we would also receive revelations from the spirit which connects but is not a part of the material world.

The data overwhelmingly shows that man is a spiritual being. It is for good reason that David Foster Wallace said that we all worship something and the only choice in the matter is what we choose to worship. We are literally hardwired for it. Throughout history every society has overwhelmingly held the belief that man is more than just matter and that there is a higher power than man. When we look at the data today we see that more and more people are rejecting organized religion but have not abandoned their belief that they are more than just matter or that there is a force which connects or binds us all. From the atheist's vantage point these beliefs exist because of evolutionary forces. But the reality is that even that argument confirms that spirituality offers a functional advantage over materialism. According to natural selection there are two main components; functional advantage and transfer of functional advantage to the next generation. So even natural selection confirms that spirituality is a behavior which leads to success. Otherwise, according to natural selection, it would have been abandoned long ago. As mankind has gained more and more knowledge of his natural surroundings his desire for spirituality has not diminished. In fact, the more materialistic we became the less satisfied we became.

So it is for good reason that we should keep an open mind about the possibility of the creator of space and time communicating with his creatures outside of the laws of nature which act as compensating and reinforcing laws of behavior. It would be illogical to believe that the intelligence behind creation of space and time would not provide some level of instruction or guidance. The question is what would that actually look like. And for that answer we must look at our own experiences as a guide to the answer.

From my own personal experiences I have had revelations that when they popped into my head I instantly recognized that they were true. Mind you I am not describing religious revelations, but ordinary everyday kind of things about my ordinary everyday issues that I am confronted with. Usually they happen in the morning when I am in that halfway state of being asleep and being awake. There is only one time when we are not conscious of self and that is when we are asleep. So it makes perfect sense to me that that is the time I am most receptive to the spirit which binds us but is not a part of the material world. This is how I believe revelations work. And this is how I believe ancient man received his revelations. Not a burning bush, or an angel appearing, but ordinary men being in a state of mind receptive to the spirit that binds us but is not a part of the material world. In this light, I can imagine ancient man having an image of how creation of space and time unfolded. Not having the scientific knowledge that we have today, he captured the allegorical account of creation in his own way. So while others may nit pick the exact details or sequence because it does not satisfy their modern view of the world, they miss out on the bigger picture which is that ancient man pretty much nailed what we know today. Specifically, that the universe did have a beginning and that man is a product of the universe.

And lastly, let's not forget or diminish the importance of ancient man believing so highly in these accounts that he passed them down orally from generation to generation for thousands of years. I can't think of anything which is comparable. It seems to me that it would be a travesty to dismiss these accounts as fairy tales.

Genesis is the allegorical account of the history of the world that all people share. Chapter 1 and 2 of Genesis is the allegorical account of creation. Specifically, that the universe did have a beginning and that man is a product of the universe. We need to stop reading the Bible like we think it is a fairy tale. These are allegorical accounts of history that ancient man deemed important enough to orally pass down from generation to generation for thousands of years. We shouldn't view these accounts using the context of the modern world. We are so far removed from these events that we have lost all original meaning which is why some modern men view these accounts as fairy tales instead of what they really are; ancient man's allegorical account of world history.

The closest thing we can come to perceiving God is that God is consciousness without a body. A case for spirit creating the material world can be made by examining the evidence that we have at our disposal. Some of the most compelling evidence is man's belief in universal right and wrong and his unwillingness to abandon this concept even when he violates it.

Good reasons do exist for us to keep an open mind about the possibility of the creator of space and time communicating with us. We can use our own experiences as proxies to better understand what form these revelations may take. When taken in this light, ancient man's revelation that the universe did have a beginning and that man is a product of the universe is not that far fetched.

Christians are the closest to God. They speak softly to Him and call him Father.

Buddists are near to God. They call him Om, or uncle.

Muslims are farthest from God. They scream and scream through their megaphones and God forsakes them because they are hateful warmongering bastards.

Not all Muslims are like that. Within any group there will be a distribution.

In what way do you think a Christian's life is wonderful? Tribulation and persecution from those who are earthly/earthbound sleeping in the dust of the earth doesn't seem all that wonderful to me when you are the one on the receiving end.

Trump referred to himself today as the “chosen“ one.

Just watched the news clip on TV. He said he’s the chosen one.

Trump referred to himself today as the “chosen“ one.

Just watched the news clip on TV. He said he’s the chosen one.
A typical BS comment you would make by leaving out the full comment and taking a piece and a portion to bolster your hate filled slant on it.

Forum List

Back