Obesity is NOT beautiful! :(

I am fascinated (and disturbed) by the rapidly rising obesity rate in this country. I'm a big health nut guy who's been both overweight as well as ripped, so I know what it takes to lose fat. It's super easy to put on weight in our culture, and very difficult to take that weight off.

That said, there's a lot of weird elements that are contributing to obesity behind the scenes, things that are fucking with our hormone levels. ChrisL mentioned phones, and we've known that that smart phones actually raise stress levels since 2005. I've come across studies that even showed that every time our smart phones ring or vibrate, we release a bit of cortisol. And cortisol is uniquely related to fat storage. So, there really might be a connection there between the rise in obesity with millenials and teenagers because they're permanently glued to their smart phones. No teenager should be fat. If you're fat as a teenager, you're going to struggle for your entire life to keep your weight at a healthy level. I really feel bad for them. Parents should do whatever it takes to help their fat teenage kids lose weight. Unfortunately, most of them don't know what to do about it.

This is a real, serious crisis.

We're also bombarded with unhealthy food choices. If you don't really understand food on a deep level, you're fucked. You WILL get fat eventually. And the only way to really understand food is to read read read. Most people are very, very wrong with what constitutes "healthy" food. We're very saturated with 'corporate food,' where corporations are controlling our food supply and most of that food is designed to bring in profit dollars rather than deliver nutrition. Take a look at a grocery store -- 90% of it is corporate garbage. If your idea of a healthy meal is a run to Panera bread, you're mistaken. Don't eat anything that your great grandparents wouldn't recognize as food.

There has never been more confusion about food at any other time in human history than right now. We've completely lost our way, and mislead by greedy pieces of shit. The obesity phenomenon is new and 100% related to modern life. Obesity was very rare in isolated cultures. There isn't one micronutrient to blame for the rise in obesity, but if there was, it would have to be refined sugar. Refined sugars have made their way into so many foods that it's almost impossible to avoid unless you're preparing all of your meals yourself and monitoring everything. High fructose corn syrup is even in ketchup! This shit is everywhere. Our caloric intake has also risen, while our intake of actual nutrients and minerals has been lowered. Some of the fancy latte's at Starbucks have even more calories than a Big Mac hamburger from McDonalds.

I could rant about this for hours.

I like a more athletic muscular body type. You know, people who are in good shape! :D
So do you expect your man to still love you when your body simply cant remain in its youthful shape any more?

I've seen plenty of people in their 70s and older who are not fat.

I agree, they don't tend to be fat. This seems to be a generational thing. The answer is probably not what controls national obesity but who controls it.

No it doesn't, please be serious.

Be serious? Okay. In 1970, 5 % of school students were fat. In 2010, 75 % of school students are fat. So if you want a hot gf, or even just an average gf, your chances have gone down from 95 % to 25 %. Now isn't that a rather big reduction of choices for everyone?

So hot girl friends are the motivation? It's all about looks? Pretty shallow Hal.

Okay. I am a 300 pound woman and I want to be your gf. Oops I broke your bone when I sat on it? Never mind, because all the other girls are 300 pounds too. So you don't like me? I win, you can't go anywhere else. Now which of your bones did I break? :)

You are a complete shallow moron, congrats!

Okay. I understand. There is an advantage to obesity. At 300 pounds, it doesn't matter if it is a woman or a man or a zombie. National gay pride national fat pride, I must be able to sell some of this I think.
-----------------------
it's important not to shame kids when they are overweight because it can cause them to become overweight in the long run. Instead, parents should focus on teaching healthy eating habits and increasing self-confidence.
Why You Shouldn't Talk to Your Child About Their Weight
https://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2016/06/16/parents-should-avoid-comments-on-a-childs-weight/

Be serious? Okay. In 1970, 5 % of school students were fat. In 2010, 75 % of school students are fat. So if you want a hot gf, or even just an average gf, your chances have gone down from 95 % to 25 %. Now isn't that a rather big reduction of choices for everyone?

So hot girl friends are the motivation? It's all about looks? Pretty shallow Hal.

Okay. I am a 300 pound woman and I want to be your gf. Oops I broke your bone when I sat on it? Never mind, because all the other girls are 300 pounds too. So you don't like me? I win, you can't go anywhere else. Now which of your bones did I break? :)

You are a complete shallow moron, congrats!

Okay. I understand. There is an advantage to obesity. At 300 pounds, it doesn't matter if it is a woman or a man or a zombie. National gay pride national fat pride, I must be able to sell some of this I think.
-----------------------
it's important not to shame kids when they are overweight because it can cause them to become overweight in the long run. Instead, parents should focus on teaching healthy eating habits and increasing self-confidence.
Why You Shouldn't Talk to Your Child About Their Weight
https://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2016/06/16/parents-should-avoid-comments-on-a-childs-weight/

Yes, and this is very interesting. I have seen teachers do this, and it has always ended up in even worse results, even more obesity.

From my research about adult obesity, the determining factors are sleep deprivation + stress + chemical food + cars.

But in pre-adult obesity, none of these factors apply. It is all under the control of the parents. Can it be that obesity is a result of parental stress + parental food choice?

Oops before I forget, I discovered an even more interesting thing, which is almost exactly the same as one of the points in your link. There was this nice girl in the class, then punks started ganging up on her and called her fat. As a result, she did get fat and wasn't nice any more. I saw a father call his daughter fat at home too. So yes, it is easy to take away self confidence, and that makes you fat. How much damage is done like this in school, because every school I went to had plenty of punks ganging up to call girls fat and ugly all the time everywhere?

Is it too liberal of a leftist idea to introduce something like confidence classes for girls, like the finishing schools used to do it?

Last edited:
Obesity is bad for our health but I would not say its ugly.. I mean, lets not make it feel like people that have some weight are ugly or they are not as good as other people are

Obesity is bad for our health but I would not say its ugly.. I mean, lets not make it feel like people that have some weight are ugly or they are not as good as other people are
Exactly, I feel like some people just use it as an excuse to look down on someone, and feel superior. They couldn't care less about the person's health. They talk about health care cost, but many thin people have cancer, or other catastrophic diseases, Anyone could be in an accident that leaves them needing life long care. None of us know what the future holds for us, I do believe you reap what you sow, and if you look down on someone, you may need to take a good hard look at yourself in the mirror.

I have a very good friend that is overweight, She is the most decent, kind, give you her shirt of her back, person I have ever known. She is truly beautiful on the inside and out, not a shallow bone in her body. It would be a much better world if more people were like her.

I have a very good friend that is overweight, She is the most decent, kind, give you her shirt of her back, person I have ever known. She is truly beautiful on the inside and out, not a shallow bone in her body. It would be a much better world if more people were like her.

Nobody is saying that obese people are "bad people." But no, obesity is not beautiful in the physical sense. I am sorry, but that is just the truth. Also, being obese can be a sign of some personality issues as well.

Every SINGLE person I've ever talked to who has lost a major amount of weight is happier. They will then admit that they were very unhappy being obese and that, yes, it most certainly had effects on how they felt physically as well. Stop making excuses for obesity. You are NOT helping them by doing so.

Man, when I was a kid, maybe 1 out of 11 was fat and it was genetic.

Now it's like 7 out of 11 are fat, what gives?

Note that the cancer cells will use vitamin E for their own protection:

Obesity / Melanoma
Melanoma and obesity: Should antioxidant vitamins be addressed? - PubMed - NCBI
'....Vitamin E levels are reported in uveal cells as a possible compensatory mechanism adopted by these cancer cells, at least in vitro, to decrease oxidative stress. Also, the relationship between uveal melanoma, obesity, and oxidative stress should be explored since obesity has become a public health problem.'

No one is born fat. Metabolism may vary from individual to individual, but the laws of physics still apply. If one eats more than one burns, one gains weight.

I get a little annoyed when people seem to want to stop the conversation about these types of issues. I'm sorry if you have a friend who is fat or whatever. My reason for starting this thread is because of people like the woman mentioned in the OP, who is a part of this new "obesity is beautiful" movement.

Forum List

Back