Obesity is NOT beautiful! :(

ChrisL

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2014
Wherever the wild things are!!
I am getting tired of hearing these obese people try to make it sound as if obesity is some kind of "fashion statement." Obesity is bad for our health, costs us billions of dollars in medical expenses and is just as bad as smoking! Encouraging obesity is like encouraging smoking or any other bad habit. Obesity is NOT fashionable and for a very good reason!

While I think the CEO's comments about obese people were rather crude, I think this woman is even worse to push such an unhealthy lifestyle. If a 10-year-old is on a diet because he or she is overweight, then that is a GOOD thing!

'Attractive & Fat' and Abercrombie controversy - CNN.com

Jes Baker is cutting retailer Abercrombie & Fitch down to size.

Baker, who blogs under the name "The Militant Baker" and wears a size 22, changed the brand's A&F logo to "Attractive & Fat" in a mock, black-and-white Abercrombie ad to challenge the line's branding efforts.

The photos come as a provocative response to contentious comments Abercrombie CEO Mike Jeffries made in a 2006 Salon article about the multibillion-dollar brand's target audience.

"In every school there are the cool and popular kids, and then there are the not-so-cool kids," Jeffries said. "Candidly, we go after the cool kids. We go after the attractive all-American kid with a great attitude and a lot of friends. A lot of people don't belong [in our clothes], and they can't belong. Are we exclusionary? Absolutely."

The divisive remarks resurfaced earlier this month after a series of protests went viral, from Greg Karber's video of himself giving homeless people Abercrombie clothing to a Change.org petition for larger sizes by a teenage eating disorder survivor.

The plus-size community particularly took umbrage to the CEO's business model because the retailer currently does not offer clothes above size 10 or large for women.

130516101435-abercrombie-sign-story-body.jpg

"I challenge the separation of attractive and fat, and I assert that they are compatible regardless of what you believe," Baker, 26, wrote in a public letter addressed to the CEO.

Jeffries has since apologized in a statement: "While I believe this 7-year-old, resurrected quote has been taken out of context, I sincerely regret that my choice of words was interpreted in a manner that has caused offense."

Baker spoke to CNN about Jeffries' comments and her motivations to address them. The interview has been edited for clarity and brevity.

CNN: You start your letter with a preface that Jeffries' opinion "isn't shocking; millions share the same sentiment." The comments are from 2006 -- what motivated you to act on them?

Jes Baker: It really wasn't upset or outrage at all. I've been an art major for the majority of my academic life, and so I am always trying to find opportunities to do something artistic.

I just thought we don't see the juxtaposition of typical and atypical bodies in advertising specifically. Since I am a woman and I am fat and that's what I have to work with, I wanted to show that contrast by finding a male model.

Really, it just came because I wanted to not be angry about it. I wanted to not say, "This is an outrage, I've never heard of this before," but say, "OK, well, look at this. Look at how awesome this is."

And, I think when you're talking about really serious subjects, and this is kind of serious, it's important to be a little bit cheeky and pull in a little bit of humor so that it's approachable -- and it worked.

I agree with the premise.
Its like the way society treats transsexuals. It is NOT normal.

She tries to say she has an "atypical" body type, but the problem is her weight. She is discouraging young girls from dieting and trying to be in shape. I agree with the dieting thing if the girl is doing it on her own, but a lot of these young overweight girls are on diets recommended by their pediatricians. I understand that this woman feels bad when she hears these kinds of comments, but it does not change the fact that obesity and being overweight are not considered "healthy" way to be!

And of course we will have those who are offended by the topic, but it isn't about a personal slam. It is about how these people are wrong for pushing their obesity as being a type of normal variation of the human body. Sorry, not attractive.

130522171456-04-attractiveandfat-horizontal-large-gallery.jpg

I will say that MOST OF THE TIME fat girls are sweet and nice. Have more to prove..

'Normal' is subjective. Are tribes in Africa who regard fat women as attractive. So much so they fatten up normal women before their weddings.

Forced to Be Fat

"In Mauritania, where big is beautiful and stretch marks are sexy, young girls are brutally force-fed a diet of up to 16,000 calories a day — more than four times that of a male bodybuilder — to prepare them for marriage."

And even here in the US not so long ago...

it was a dark and stormy night;, Back When Thin Wasn’t In: 8 Vintage Weight Gain...

tumblr_lvvaqdjlTh1qjgid9.jpg

tumblr_lvvaqk3NHR1qjgid9.jpg

tumblr_lvvaqzi0Hs1qjgid9.jpg

'Normal' is subjective. Are tribes in Africa who regard fat women as attractive. So much so they fatten up normal women before their weddings.

Forced to Be Fat

"In Mauritania, where big is beautiful and stretch marks are sexy, young girls are brutally force-fed a diet of up to 16,000 calories a day — more than four times that of a male bodybuilder — to prepare them for marriage."

it was a dark and stormy night;, Back When Thin Wasn’t In: 8 Vintage Weight Gain...

Those women are NOT fat! Stick to the topic please. We are talking about people encouraging a "fat" body style as being a variant of normal and that they should just accept it and be fat. It is unhealthy and costs us loads of money is the bottom line. Not to mention, it is not attractive to be overweight.

I am getting tired of hearing these obese people try to make it sound as if obesity is some kind of "fashion statement." Obesity is bad for our health, costs us billions of dollars in medical expenses and is just as bad as smoking! Encouraging obesity is like encouraging smoking or any other bad habit. Obesity is NOT fashionable and for a very good reason!

While I think the CEO's comments about obese people were rather crude, I think this woman is even worse to push such an unhealthy lifestyle. If a 10-year-old is on a diet because he or she is overweight, then that is a GOOD thing!

Baker, who blogs under the name "The Militant Baker" and wears a size 22, changed the brand's A&F logo to "Attractive & Fat" in a mock, black-and-white Abercrombie ad to challenge the line's branding efforts.

The photos come as a provocative response to contentious comments Abercrombie CEO Mike Jeffries made in a 2006 Salon article about the multibillion-dollar brand's target audience.

"In every school there are the cool and popular kids, and then there are the not-so-cool kids," Jeffries said. "Candidly, we go after the cool kids. We go after the attractive all-American kid with a great attitude and a lot of friends. A lot of people don't belong [in our clothes], and they can't belong. Are we exclusionary? Absolutely."

The divisive remarks resurfaced earlier this month after a series of protests went viral, from Greg Karber's video of himself giving homeless people Abercrombie clothing to a Change.org petition for larger sizes by a teenage eating disorder survivor.

The plus-size community particularly took umbrage to the CEO's business model because the retailer currently does not offer clothes above size 10 or large for women.

"I challenge the separation of attractive and fat, and I assert that they are compatible regardless of what you believe," Baker, 26, wrote in a public letter addressed to the CEO.

Jeffries has since apologized in a statement: "While I believe this 7-year-old, resurrected quote has been taken out of context, I sincerely regret that my choice of words was interpreted in a manner that has caused offense."

Baker spoke to CNN about Jeffries' comments and her motivations to address them. The interview has been edited for clarity and brevity.

CNN: You start your letter with a preface that Jeffries' opinion "isn't shocking; millions share the same sentiment." The comments are from 2006 -- what motivated you to act on them?

Jes Baker: It really wasn't upset or outrage at all. I've been an art major for the majority of my academic life, and so I am always trying to find opportunities to do something artistic.

I just thought we don't see the juxtaposition of typical and atypical bodies in advertising specifically. Since I am a woman and I am fat and that's what I have to work with, I wanted to show that contrast by finding a male model.

Really, it just came because I wanted to not be angry about it. I wanted to not say, "This is an outrage, I've never heard of this before," but say, "OK, well, look at this. Look at how awesome this is."

And, I think when you're talking about really serious subjects, and this is kind of serious, it's important to be a little bit cheeky and pull in a little bit of humor so that it's approachable -- and it worked.
Obesity in itself is not attractive just like being slim and fit is not always attractive. I have seen some attractive obese women. Attractiveness is not necessarily a physical trait. Its how you hold yourself and how you make others feel. Hopefully no one is telling people to become overweight in order to become more attractive. I think the general message is telling people that dont conform to what society considers "ideal" that its ok to feel confident about yourself no matter what your size. You dont have to look like a male preteen with breast implants in order to be attractive.

Nah...I think yinz are wrong. The thrust here is (1) to fight self-loathing due to not having the ideal body shape, and (2) to sell stuff.

Forced to Be Fat

Mental problems aren't normal.

Obesity in itself is not attractive just like being slim and fit is not always attractive. I have seen some attractive obese women. Attractiveness is not necessarily a physical trait. Its how you hold yourself and how you make others feel. Hopefully no one is telling people to become overweight in order to become more attractive. I think the general message is telling people that dont conform to what society considers "ideal" that its ok to feel confident about yourself no matter what your size. You dont have to look like a male preteen with breast implants in order to be attractive.

Right, but being obese is not healthy. It is just as unhealthy as smoking. It takes a toll on your heart too, and that is because people are not supposed to be fat. The problem is, with modern technology, we are much more lazy and have to do MUCH less in order to survive. We are a lazy bunch of losers. Lol. :D

Forced to Be Fat

Those women are NOT fat! Stick to the topic please. We are talking about people encouraging a "fat" body style as being a variant of normal and that they should just accept it and be fat. It is unhealthy and costs us loads of money is the bottom line. Not to mention, it is not attractive to be overweight.

Lotta my gf's here have been plus-sized. Think bigger girls are sexy as hell. Plus , being something of a baker it's nice to have someone willing to eat what I make. :)

Since when is being slim and fit not attractive? Lol. Being slim and fit is definitely preferable to being a fat blob. Just because you like giant arses doesn't mean they are good for the women who have them! :D

Forced to Be Fat

1 in 5 Americans have some kind of mental illness. That's over 60 million. Sounds pretty normal to me.

Forced to Be Fat

Lotta my gf's here have been plus-sized. Think bigger girls are sexy as hell. Plus , being something of a baker it's nice to have someone willing to eat what I make. :)

Your personal preferences don't change the facts though. It's not healthy. It costs us a lot of money. Obesity is just as unhealthy and can cause just as many health problems as smoking. :dunno:

This woman acts as if dieting and trying to be in shape is a "bad" thing or something. :cuckoo:

Forced to Be Fat

Your personal preferences don't change the facts though. It's not healthy. It costs us a lot of money. Obesity is just as unhealthy and can cause just as many health problems as smoking. :dunno:

This woman acts as if dieting and trying to be in shape is a "bad" thing or something. :cuckoo:

Know what results in greater healthcare costs? Stress. Quit worrying about what others are doing and fix yourself first before presuming to fix others.

Forced to Be Fat

Know what results in greater healthcare costs? Stress. Quit worrying about what others are doing and fix yourself first before presuming to fix others.

Look who's talking? You can't stop thinking about other people's sex lives! Lol. Anyways, no. This is a discussion board and this is something I am interested in discussing. Do I tell you what to post? No, I do not, so fuck off, Delta and go talk about your nonexistent sex life! :D

• Thanks
Reactions: 007

Right, but being obese is not healthy. It is just as unhealthy as smoking. It takes a toll on your heart too, and that is because people are not supposed to be fat. The problem is, with modern technology, we are much more lazy and have to do MUCH less in order to survive. We are a lazy bunch of losers. Lol. :D
I agree being obese is not healthy. The problem is most people have a warped view of what obese actually is. If you are naturally a big woman that doesnt make you obese. I agree that people need to work out more or find a hobby that will burn carbs and eat correctly.

Forced to Be Fat

1 in 5 Americans have some kind of mental illness. That's over 60 million. Sounds pretty normal to me.
So you are sitting here telling me that a biological male thinking his DNA got him wrong is normal? LMAO YOU are not normal either..

Forced to Be Fat

Now, if you want to participate in one of MY threads, you are going to have to do better than that, weasel!

Obesity in America - PublicHealth.org

WHAT ARE THE CONSEQUENCES?
Declining Health
According to the American Heart Association, one in three U.S. children and teens are now considered overweight or obese. The long term consequences of this childhood obesity epidemic are devastating — the AHA warns that today’s children may be the first generation in U.S. history to lead shorter and less healthy lives than their parents.

Obesity is linked to rising U.S. rates of dozens of chronic illnesses and conditions, including diabetes, heart disease and cancer:

• Diabetes: An imbalanced diet and a lack of exercise can cause insulin resistance and full-fledged type 2 diabetes. Like obesity, the rate of diabetes have risen nearly 70%since 1995.
  • Cardiovascular disease: This disease is the leading cause of death in the United States, and obesity is the leading risk factor. In 2007, one-quarter of all U.S. deaths were from heart disease.
  • Cancer: A close second behind heart disease as the leading cause of death in America, obesity contributes to many types of cancer. In fact, weight gain and obesity are considered a contributing factor in 20% of new cancer diagnoses.
  • Depression: Numerous studies have suggested a link between depression, obesity, and weight gain, especially among children.
  • Reproduction: Research indicate obesity reduces fertility rates and increases the chance of miscarriage in pregnant women.
  • Respiratory disease: Sleep apnea and obesity hypoventilation syndrome are more common in overweight individuals, as is asthma.
  • Cognitive health: Neurologist have identified a link between obesity and cognitive decline, including memory loss and thinking skills.
  • Musculoskeletal disorders: Obesity is a leading cause of arthritic pain, injuries, and atrophy in muscles and joints, often in the knee, ankle, foot, and shoulder.
Rising Costs
Estimates vary, but the annual medical expenses related to obesity Americans are staggering. One recent study from Harvard’s School of Public Health estimates obesity may account for as much as $190 billion annually or 21% of all U.S. medical expenses. Per capita, the cost of medical care for obese patients is estimated to be somewhere between 36% to 150% higher than for non-obese patients.

Indirect costs are far more difficult to calculate, because they include lost productivity from individuals taking leave from work, higher transportation costs, and higher insurance rates. But to get an idea, the average U.S. firm with 1,000 or more employees loses $285,000 per year from such costs associated with obesity.

Forum List

Back