obama's War on the Poor

LogikAndReazon

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2012
"Judged by today's campaign rhetoric, we now live in a war zone. Democrats insist that the GOP has declared "war" on women and opened a second front with a "war" on the poor. Thus far, Republicans have yet to accuse Democrats of war-mongering, but if they choose this option, let me suggest a possibility: the Obama administration's "war" on poor blacks, especially the young.

This is a remarkably stealthy war, and one hardly noticed by Republicans, but the carnage far outshines what Republicans have, allegedly, been inflicting on women and the poor. The commander-in-chief's strategy is to confer what superficially appears to be a benefit but in practice brings calamity -- killing with kindness to win votes.

An April 2012 Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) edict perfectly illustrates this plan. The EEOC ruled that employers risk violating the 1964 Civil Rights Act by considering the job applicant's past arrest or criminal conviction record, since blacks and Hispanics are more likely than whites or Asians to have run afoul of the law. The underlying principle is disparate impact -- if a policy disproportionally hurts blacks or Hispanics, it could point to unfair discrimination. The EEOC recommends "that employers not ask about convictions on job applications and that, if and when they make such inquiries, the inquiries be limited to convictions for which exclusion would be job related for the position in question and consistent with business necessity."

Any experienced business person (and I owned and operated a small business for 14 years) knows that this edict invites disaster. No business can overcome employee criminality without expensive, unproductive measures. I cannot imagine any job, no matter how humble, that does not require honesty. Despite my best efforts to hire only honest employees, I encountered customer credit card theft (to buy a car, no less), pilfering inventory, stealing from the till, cutting private discount deals with customers, falsifying time sheets, and even robbing the "honor" cash cup for soft drinks in the break room.

But, these are just minor annoyances compared to what occurs elsewhere. Try operating an enterprise where employees deal drugs; fence stolen goods; operate a gambling ring; or engage in white-collar crimes such as selling propriety information, padding expense accounts, and embezzlement. Short of imposing a police state, eliminating such behavior is exceedingly difficult and expensive. Culprits are typically caught only due to stupidity, greed, or somebody ratting on them rather than business policing....."

Read more: Articles: The Obama Administration's War on Poor Blacks

"Judged by today's campaign rhetoric, we now live in a war zone. Democrats insist that the GOP has declared "war" on women and opened a second front with a "war" on the poor. Thus far, Republicans have yet to accuse Democrats of war-mongering, but if they choose this option, let me suggest a possibility: the Obama administration's "war" on poor blacks, especially the young.

This is a remarkably stealthy war, and one hardly noticed by Republicans, but the carnage far outshines what Republicans have, allegedly, been inflicting on women and the poor. The commander-in-chief's strategy is to confer what superficially appears to be a benefit but in practice brings calamity -- killing with kindness to win votes.

An April 2012 Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) edict perfectly illustrates this plan. The EEOC ruled that employers risk violating the 1964 Civil Rights Act by considering the job applicant's past arrest or criminal conviction record, since blacks and Hispanics are more likely than whites or Asians to have run afoul of the law. The underlying principle is disparate impact -- if a policy disproportionally hurts blacks or Hispanics, it could point to unfair discrimination. The EEOC recommends "that employers not ask about convictions on job applications and that, if and when they make such inquiries, the inquiries be limited to convictions for which exclusion would be job related for the position in question and consistent with business necessity."

Any experienced business person (and I owned and operated a small business for 14 years) knows that this edict invites disaster. No business can overcome employee criminality without expensive, unproductive measures. I cannot imagine any job, no matter how humble, that does not require honesty. Despite my best efforts to hire only honest employees, I encountered customer credit card theft (to buy a car, no less), pilfering inventory, stealing from the till, cutting private discount deals with customers, falsifying time sheets, and even robbing the "honor" cash cup for soft drinks in the break room.

But, these are just minor annoyances compared to what occurs elsewhere. Try operating an enterprise where employees deal drugs; fence stolen goods; operate a gambling ring; or engage in white-collar crimes such as selling propriety information, padding expense accounts, and embezzlement. Short of imposing a police state, eliminating such behavior is exceedingly difficult and expensive. Culprits are typically caught only due to stupidity, greed, or somebody ratting on them rather than business policing....."

Read more: Articles: The Obama Administration's War on Poor Blacks

There is some validity to what is said in the article, but I would hardly call it a war against blacks. Why is it that issues can never be discussed honestly without throwing in all kinds of political propaganda?

Forum List

Back