Obama's War on Coal Country Families

Were the coal industry forced to pay for the environmental damage they do, it would not be a cheap power source. Were they forced to pay for the medical costs of the air pollution and harm to people's health, it would not be a cheap source of power. In fact, when you look at the cost of 'clean coal', solar and wind are a bargain.

Can you document any medical costs from coal pollution whatsoever? Can you produce a single diagnoses that says "problem caused by coal pollution?"

So called "clean coal" is a joke. Coal is already clean. CO2 is not pollution.

Co2 is not pollution? Ever heard of "the greenhouse effect"?

Not even remotely the same thing as that was a result of basic supply, demand, and labor. In the case of coal, it is almost entirely due to government interference in the marketplace.

Coal is cheaper on the fuel cost side, but capital cost are lower with natural gas..

You don't save on capital costs by decommission perfectly good coal fired power plants.

hmmmm...lemme see....
...if coal plants are shut down, wont the price of electricity rise?

Here's the part of the article that hit me in the gut:

Millions will get laid off—in coal mines, power plants, factories, shops. Entire families and communities will be pounded and impoverished.

Well, he DID promise to do this when he ran for election and re-election. Yet, many of these people still voted for him!

And, of course, there are plenty of those who will attack the source instead of the message @

Trampling on Coal Country families

and with unemployment running 20%+...good luck finding a job.

Were the coal industry forced to pay for the environmental damage they do, it would not be a cheap power source. Were they forced to pay for the medical costs of the air pollution and harm to people's health, it would not be a cheap source of power. In fact, when you look at the cost of 'clean coal', solar and wind are a bargain.

Can you document any medical costs from coal pollution whatsoever? Can you produce a single diagnoses that says "problem caused by coal pollution?"

Co2 is not pollution? Ever heard of "the greenhouse effect"?

Pollution is toxic to plants or animals. Human exhale CO2 and plants need it to live. CO2 does not fit any rational definition of "pollution."

Not even remotely the same thing as that was a result of basic supply, demand, and labor. In the case of coal, it is almost entirely due to government interference in the marketplace.

Coal is cheaper on the fuel cost side, but capital cost are lower with natural gas..

You don't save on capital costs by decommission perfectly good coal fired power plants.

hmmmm...lemme see....

Hmmmm . . yeah, because power companies will be spending a lot more on capital to replace coal fired power plants.

Here's the part of the article that hit me in the gut:

Millions will get laid off—in coal mines, power plants, factories, shops. Entire families and communities will be pounded and impoverished.

Well, he DID promise to do this when he ran for election and re-election. Yet, many of these people still voted for him!

And, of course, there are plenty of those who will attack the source instead of the message @

Trampling on Coal Country families

and with unemployment running 20%+...good luck finding a job.
Create your own job...I had to...really I wanted to after working for other companies...and could earn more monies..

hmmmm...lemme see....

Hmmmm . . yeah, because power companies will be spending a lot more on capital to replace coal fired power plants.
The COOP I am a member of, buys their electric from the new gas fired plant, they switched over from the coal fired plant this year, electric only rose 6%,(only increase in the 13 years I've been a member) and that was requested by the COOP before they switched and was allowed by the commission by the time they switched to the gas plant.. If they did not get their increase the cost is no higher than what it was last year before the switch...

Our country and our planet needs to declare war on coal. There is simply no way that we do not have the intelligence and technology to produce cleaner energy.

Our country and our planet needs to declare war on coal. There is simply no way that we do not have the intelligence and technology to produce cleaner energy.
That argument was settled in the negative in the Carter administration.The idiot in charge of energy policy back then blocked not just Solar Power Satellites, He3 acquisition and Ocean Thermal Systems to go all in on hydrogen only fusion he ignored that OTS was proven technology in the 1920s and last I checked fusion break even has yet to be achieved.

hmmmm...lemme see....

The COOP I am a member of, buys their electric from the new gas fired plant, they switched over from the coal fired plant this year, electric only rose 6%,(only increase in the 13 years I've been a member) and that was requested by the COOP before they switched and was allowed by the commission by the time they switched to the gas plant.. If they did not get their increase the cost is no higher than what it was last year before the switch...

They switched from an existing coal fired plant to an existing gas fired plant. What they didn't do is tear down a perfectly serviceable coal fired plant and replace it by building a new gas fired power plant from scratch. I live in Florida, and my power rates are going up because the public utility here is going to tear down two perfectly good coal fired power plants and replace them with new gas fired plants. They are chucking about $2 billion dollars worth of capital into the trash bin. Anyone who says that isn't going to affect the rates they charge is either a moron or simply dishonest.

hmmmm...lemme see....

They switched from an existing coal fired plant to an existing gas fired plant. What they didn't do is tear down a perfectly serviceable coal fired plant and replace it by building a new gas fired power plant from scratch. I live in Florida, and my power rates are going up because the public utility here is going to tear down two perfectly good coal fired power plants and replace them with new gas fired plants. They are chucking about $2 billion dollars worth of capital into the trash bin. Anyone who says that isn't going to affect the rates they charge is either a moron or simply dishonest.
They also shut down a nuclear plant in your state, hat effect is that having.

That argument was settled in the negative in the Carter administration.The idiot in charge of energy policy back then blocked not just Solar Power Satellites, He3 acquisition and Ocean Thermal Systems to go all in on hydrogen only fusion. OTS was proven technology in the 1920s and last I checked fusion break even has yet to be achieved.
Only at negative

hmmmm...lemme see....

The coal fired plant was not shut down, it is still operating..A COOP only buys wholesale electric they do not have their own plant...The trains hauling coal run through town around 6 times a day, 3 trips with coal and three trips back to the coal source..

That argument was settled in the negative in the Carter administration.The idiot in charge of energy policy back then blocked not just Solar Power Satellites, He3 acquisition and Ocean Thermal Systems to go all in on hydrogen only fusion. OTS was proven technology in the 1920s and last I checked fusion break even has yet to be achieved.
Only at negative

hmmmm...lemme see....

The coal fired plant was not shut down, it is still operating..A COOP only buys wholesale electric they do not have their own plant...The trains hauling coal run through town around 6 times a day, 3 trips with coal and three trips back to the coal source..

The fact that it wasn't shut down is the whole point. Shutting down perfectly serviceable coal fired power plants is going to cost consumers hundreds of billions of dollars.

Only at negative
hmmmm...lemme see....

The fact that it wasn't shut down is the whole point. Shutting down perfectly serviceable coal fired power plants is going to cost consumers hundreds of billions of dollars.
Many of the coal power plants are old and need replacement..The coal fired one is in gentry, Ark and is owned by SWEPCO, I am not sure who owns the gas fired one of hand..The Gentry plant is refurbishing the scrubbers. The biggest problem is they are using the ash from the burnt coal to use as filler in the foundations of homes..

Many of the coal power plants are old and need replacement..The coal fired one is in gentry, Ark and is owned by SWEPCO, I am not sure who owns the gas fired one of hand..The Gentry plant is refurbishing the scrubbers. The biggest problem is they are using the ash from the burnt coal to use as filler in the foundations of homes..

Why is that a problem? I have been drinking/bathing in coal ash most of the year thanks to a certain energy company.

Why is that a problem? I have been drinking/bathing in coal ash most of the year thanks to a certain energy company.

Using coal ash in foundations is no problem at all.

Jesus Christ! Are you serious? Ummm....black lung??....maybe? For 1.
Are you saying that no miners ever had respiratory problems and that coal smoke and particles are a fictitious left wing lie? Have you ever handled coal or burned it? Wow. Coal clean? Lmao

Forum List

Back