Obama's War on Coal Country Families

In a hybrid energy model gas has one major advantage.

You can turn up the output on a gas fired generating plant more quickly than you can with coal fired.

That WILL be increasingly important when your "primary" energy source can disappear with the movement of a single cloud or a sudden change in wind.

Of course you'll have to pay dearly for the capital cost of the capacity that sits unused much of the time but that's OK because when energy is out of your budget you don't use much of it and that'll SAVE THE FRIGGIN' PLANET! But not nearly as efficiently as you libs putting your money where your moufs are and get back in the caves.

Yes, gas turbines and gas fired combined cycle plants are quicker to get up and running. But, the volatility of gas prices is likely going to ensure a need for coal fired boilers to remain in play.

Yes, gas turbines and gas fired combined cycle plants are quicker to get up and running. But, the volatility of gas prices is likely going to ensure a need for coal fired boilers to remain in play.

Challenged, though by Our Kenyan President having vowed to make electricity so expensive that only the very rich (or those living in government housing as does He) will be able to afford using any.

Challenged, though by Our Kenyan President having vowed to make electricity so expensive that only the very rich (or those living in government housing as does He) will be able to afford using any.
I don't live in Kenya. In the US, we have a US President.

Never heard of anyone "fracking coal seams."
Mostly in Australia. So far the big concerns are financing the LNG plant and safely navigating Indonesian waters. Normally it pops up on slow news days. Dirt cheap NG and no logistics to get it to market, only in the land of Oz.

Isn't that coal-bed methane?
Yeah, methane is a one of I believe three major forms of natural gas. If memory serves HL Hunt's donation/sale of mixed natural gas from his well heads to a high school caused an explosion and since then the gases that make up natural gas are refined into separate gases.

Correction I did a quick wiki check. While methane is the primary form of natural gas water contamination was the primary cause of explosions in the early days. I take it you are from an area where methane is not the term used?

Last edited:
Isn't that coal-bed methane?
Yeah, methane is a one of I believe three major forms of natural gas. If memory serves HL Hunt's donation/sale of mixed natural gas from his well heads to a high school caused an explosion and since then the gases that make up natural gas are refined into separate gases. I take it you are from an area where methane is not used?
Illinois is underlain with massive coal deposits. But CBM has not taken off in any significance. Years ago, I did do some contract leasing but that never panned out.

We are still fucking around with HVHF rules. And true to fashion, the state is stepping all over themselves to fuck it up.

Illinois is underlain with massive coal deposits. But CBM has not taken off in any significance. Years ago, I did do some contract leasing but that never panned out.

We are still fucking around with HVHF rules. And true to fashion, the state is stepping all over themselves to fuck it up.
HVHF? Well if coal is mined in IL why isn't the methane extracted as a safety measure to protect the miners and nearby residents?

HVHF? Well if coal is mined in IL why isn't the methane extracted as a safety measure to protect the miners and nearby residents?
To effectively respond to that, i would have to pull your brain out through your nostrils, bitch. :slap:

Here's the part of the article that hit me in the gut:

Millions will get laid off—in coal mines, power plants, factories, shops. Entire families and communities will be pounded and impoverished.

Well, he DID promise to do this when he ran for election and re-election. Yet, many of these people still voted for him!

And, of course, there are plenty of those who will attack the source instead of the message @

Trampling on Coal Country families

The commodities market made natural gas cheaper than coal, so why not place blame where it belongs.

Besides, the US exported over 100 million short tons of coal in 2013 with expectations of higher number this year, so 'trampling?'

Here's the part of the article that hit me in the gut:

Millions will get laid off—in coal mines, power plants, factories, shops. Entire families and communities will be pounded and impoverished.

Well, he DID promise to do this when he ran for election and re-election. Yet, many of these people still voted for him!

And, of course, there are plenty of those who will attack the source instead of the message @

Trampling on Coal Country families

The commodities market made natural gas cheaper than coal, so why not place blame where it belongs.

Besides, the US exported over 100 million short tons of coal in 2013 with expectations of higher number this year, so 'trampling?'

No matter how cheap natural gas gets, it's never going to be cheaper to replace a perfectly good coal fired power plant with gas fired plant. The EPA is forcing power companies to shut down existing power plants. That has nothing to do with the price of natural gas.

Can you document any medical costs from coal pollution whatsoever? Can you produce a single diagnoses that says "problem caused by coal pollution?"

So called "clean coal" is a joke. Coal is already clean. CO2 is not pollution.

Coal slurry kills on contact. It's full of arsenic and other heavy metals. If it gets into the ground, the land is unusable for planting. If it gets in the water supply, the water becomes undrinkable.

Google Little Blue slurry pit, West By God Virginia.

People lost their homes over that one.

No matter how cheap natural gas gets, it's never going to be cheaper to replace a perfectly good coal fired power plant with gas fired plant. The EPA is forcing power companies to shut down existing power plants. That has nothing to do with the price of natural gas.

Why do you have to replace the plant. Just flip the switch. ALL power plants can run on multiple fuels.

It has EVERYTHING to do with price.

Why do you have to replace the plant. Just flip the switch. ALL power plants can run on multiple fuels.

It has EVERYTHING to do with price.

ROFL! Thanks for demonstrating your incredible naivete. Plants have to be built specifically to run on coal or specifically to run on natural gas. Coal plants are not being converted to natural gas. They are being shut down. The cost of building a new natural gas plant to replace a coal fired plant more than negates any savings in the price of the fuel. However, before the Obama administration's war on coal and all the EPA regulations imposed with the intention of shutting down coal fired power plants, coal was still cheaper than natural gas. Obama has made coal more expensive than natural gas, not the laws of supply and demand.

Can you document any medical costs from coal pollution whatsoever? Can you produce a single diagnoses that says "problem caused by coal pollution?"

So called "clean coal" is a joke. Coal is already clean. CO2 is not pollution.

Coal slurry kills on contact. It's full of arsenic and other heavy metals. If it gets into the ground, the land is unusable for planting. If it gets in the water supply, the water becomes undrinkable.

Google Little Blue slurry pit, West By God Virginia.

People lost their homes over that one.

That's all total bullshit. coal slurry does not kill on contact. You can take a bath in it with no ill effects. The trace minerals in coal are no worse than the trace minerals in the soil around your house. The only difference is that you don't burn the soil. It doesn't "get into the ground" because the coal stays on top. The water filters into the soil or evaporates. Yeah, you can't drink water mixed with coal slurry, but you also can't drink any water straight out of a river or lake. Such water is full of bacterial and other contaminates that have to be removed before it's fed into the water supply.

Your claims are nothing but alarmist paranoia. No substance used in industry is 100% safe. Natural gas explodes. Many more people have been killed from natural gas explosions than have ever been killed by burning coal in a power plant.

Forum List

Back