Obama's support our troops message and NBC's treatment of real soldiers. Doesn't mesh

Remodeling Maidiac

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2011
Kansas City
First let me say that I applaud Obama for his efforts to help our service members return to a respected and normal life, especially in the area of employment for veterans. The only reason I included him in the title was to hopefully get this viewed in the most viewed sub-forum on this site before it is ultimately moved.

I saw this story tonight on O'reilly and thought this is a terrible way to treat our veterans. For those that dont know The Weather Channel was bought by NBC and her firing was after 7 years of commitment to both TWC and our armed forces. The firing also took place after NBC bought TWC.

I believe this situation to be outrageous and over the line. As such I believe anyone who feels similar should spend 10 less minutes on this forum sometime in the next few days and email their opinion on this matter to both NBC and anyone else they think would be receptive to this story. This type of treatment must not go unnoticed.

Weather Channel Anchor Nicole Mitchell Says She Was Fired Over Her Military Service | Video | TheBlaze.com

Snip:

Nicole Mitchell said this week her contract was not renewed in 2010 because Weather Channel management did not want to contend with the time she took off for her military duties, the Marietta Daily Journal reported. She has accused the Weather Channel and its parent companies of violating her rights under the Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act of 1994.

Mitchell, who holds the rank of captain, was an on-air meteorologist for the network for seven years. She said the trouble started after the Weather Channel was sold in 2008 to NBC Universal and private equity firms Bain Capital and the Blackstone Group. She told Fox News that management told her she would have to get clearance before taking any Air Force assignments.

“I was told in an email, ‘before you agree to military duty, you need to clear it through us first,’” Mitchell told Fox. “If you don’t show up for orders, you could be court-martialed.”
In one instance, Mitchell said, she was reprimanded for choosing her weekend Air Force commitment over a scheduled hair appointment. After missing a separate makeup consultation, she said she was moved from the 7 a.m. to 10 a.m. weekday anchor shift to a Monday to Friday 10 p.m. to 2 a.m. shift.According to the Daily Journal, Mitchell was never given a reason for not having her contract renewed.

“She had stellar evaluations,” Lynn Hogue, a retired Army lawyer, told the newspaper. “What other inference could you possible draw than that the renewal was based on the inconvenience caused by her military service?”

Mitchell, who started in the Reserves 20 years ago when she graduated from high school, said her suit is not just about herself, but other military members facing discrimination who don’t have the same resources she does.

“It‘s popular right now to say we support the troops and we’ve got your back, but if you’re going to say it you should mean it,” she said according to WAGA-TV.

Mitchell’s attorney, Lance LoRusso, has not said how much money his client is seeking but said she is entitled to wages she would have received had her contract been renewed.

In a statement, the Weather Channel said it couldn’t comment on the pending lawsuit but said it is committed to creating a work atmosphere in compliance with the Uniformed Service Employment and Reemployment Rights Act.

“As with many situations, there is more than one version of what occurred,” the statement said. “We disagree with many of the assertions in the plaintiff’s press statements and intend to vigorously defend the matter in the arbitration process.”

Last edited:
First let me say that I applaud Obama for his efforts to help our service members return to a respected and normal life, especially in the area of employment for veterans. The only reason I included him in the title was to hopefully get this viewed in the most viewed sub-forum on this site before it is ultimately moved.

I saw this story tonight on O'reilly and thought this is a terrible way to treat our veterans. For those that dont know The Weather Channel was bought by NBC and her firing was after 7 years of commitment to both TWC and our armed forces. The firing also took place after NBC bought TWC.

I believe this situation to be outrageous and over the line. As such I believe anyone who feels similar should spend 10 less minutes on this forum sometime in the next few days and email their opinion on this matter to both NBC and anyone else they think would be receptive to this story. This type of treatment must not go unnoticed.

Weather Channel Anchor Nicole Mitchell Says She Was Fired Over Her Military Service | Video | TheBlaze.com

Snip:

Nicole Mitchell said this week her contract was not renewed in 2010 because Weather Channel management did not want to contend with the time she took off for her military duties, the Marietta Daily Journal reported. She has accused the Weather Channel and its parent companies of violating her rights under the Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act of 1994.

Mitchell, who holds the rank of captain, was an on-air meteorologist for the network for seven years. She said the trouble started after the Weather Channel was sold in 2008 to NBC Universal and private equity firms Bain Capital and the Blackstone Group. She told Fox News that management told her she would have to get clearance before taking any Air Force assignments.

“I was told in an email, ‘before you agree to military duty, you need to clear it through us first,’” Mitchell told Fox. “If you don’t show up for orders, you could be court-martialed.”
In one instance, Mitchell said, she was reprimanded for choosing her weekend Air Force commitment over a scheduled hair appointment. After missing a separate makeup consultation, she said she was moved from the 7 a.m. to 10 a.m. weekday anchor shift to a Monday to Friday 10 p.m. to 2 a.m. shift.According to the Daily Journal, Mitchell was never given a reason for not having her contract renewed.

“She had stellar evaluations,” Lynn Hogue, a retired Army lawyer, told the newspaper. “What other inference could you possible draw than that the renewal was based on the inconvenience caused by her military service?”

Mitchell, who started in the Reserves 20 years ago when she graduated from high school, said her suit is not just about herself, but other military members facing discrimination who don’t have the same resources she does.

“It‘s popular right now to say we support the troops and we’ve got your back, but if you’re going to say it you should mean it,” she said according to WAGA-TV.

Mitchell’s attorney, Lance LoRusso, has not said how much money his client is seeking but said she is entitled to wages she would have received had her contract been renewed.

In a statement, the Weather Channel said it couldn’t comment on the pending lawsuit but said it is committed to creating a work atmosphere in compliance with the Uniformed Service Employment and Reemployment Rights Act.

“As with many situations, there is more than one version of what occurred,” the statement said. “We disagree with many of the assertions in the plaintiff’s press statements and intend to vigorously defend the matter in the arbitration process.”

I agree, I'll email NBC; it matters not who owns TWC. Supporting our military personnel isn't accomplished with pins worn, parades attended, and slogans mouthed.

• Banned

Snip:

I agree, I'll email NBC; it matters not who owns TWC. Supporting our military personnel isn't accomplished with pins worn, parades attended, and slogans mouthed.

I think the point of who owns it does matter in the fact that before the sale she conducted both aspects of her life with no problems. The problems only arose after the sale.

Snip:

I think the point of who owns it does matter in the fact that before the sale she conducted both aspects of her life with no problems. The problems only arose after the sale.

Thank you, I emailed NBC. She is very pretty, at least from her photo; it should dawn on NBC, and other media outlets that skill counts far more than looks in news, weather, science and many other areas of consumer concern. My favorite local weather man, now retired, was no Adonis, but his interest in weather*, and ability to communicate to viewers, was top notch.

*I've a weather & storm watcher, since childhood.

• Banned
Thanks Peach. My favorite weather man was Don Harmon here in KC. Sadly he took his life from depression a while back. He was a very funny man and well loved within the community.

We are engaged in the same Military tactics as the LBJ administration dictated in VietNam. Soldiers and Marines are dying in Afghanistan and the administration pretends that it's Bush's fault.

Thanks Peach. My favorite weather man was Don Harmon here in KC. Sadly he took his life from depression a while back. He was a very funny man and well loved within the community.

That is regrettable. NBC responded to my email, with the usual...."due to the volume of ...."; the email also contained a link for sign up as part of a "viewer panel'. the link did not work. My local electric company sent me a monthly bill recently with a customer service # that was not a 'working number". I will not vote for any candidates that are officers of those corps.*

*:D This political now.

I don't believe the Blaze (Beck) and am seldom if ever disappointed.

There were multiple sources. I chose the one I did because Im on a new computer and my security software (avast) rates sites based on safety. Look the story up for yourself before being so stubborn.

Snip:

She's got a case....her employer cannot make her military service a topic of employment. I have a friend in the Reserves who was asked about his Reserve duty during a job interview. He smiled and asked when they wanted him to start...the interviewer took a few seconds then realized what he had done.

Also owned by Bain Capital LOL and "Georgia (where TWC is located) is an at-will employment state" LOL- what a whiner LOL

Did The Weather Channel Fire Nicole Mitchell Because Of Military Duty?
Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Michell wrote on her Facebook page that although Georgia (where TWC is located) is an at-will employment state, in her case there is an exception:

"[Y]ou cannot make the decision to terminate or non-renew based on an illegal motivation. For example, if you were renewing other contracts, but decided not to renew one person because you did not like their race, religion, gender, etc....those are protected "classes", thus you cannot terminate or non-renew if that is why you are making the decision.

"Military service is protected in the same way. You can let someone go, but not if the inconvenience of their military schedule is the reason you are doing it."

Mitchell filed the lawsuit against The Weather Channel and its owners: NBC/Universal, Bain Capital, and the Blackstone Group, according to the Sun Herald.

The Weather Channel released a statement in response to Mitchell's lawsuit:

The Weather Channel is committed to creating a work atmosphere free of discrimination and in compliance with The Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act of 1994 ("USERRA"), and its owners support that commitment. This is a commitment that we have always taken very seriously. We cannot comment on pending litigation, but as with many situations, there is more than one version of what occurred. We disagree with many of the assertions in the plaintiff's press statements and intend to vigorously defend the matter in the arbitration process.

Did The Weather Channel Fire Nicole Mitchell Because Of Military Duty? | KPBS.org

We are engaged in the same Military tactics as the LBJ administration dictated in VietNam. Soldiers and Marines are dying in Afghanistan and the administration pretends that it's Bush's fault.

What have you done about it?

But a LW propaganda machine if it existed would be blaming this on Romney and Bain Capital, not to mention "at-will employment" states...

Forum List

Back