Obama's stimulas is working!!!

Jroc

יעקב כהן
Oct 19, 2010
Michigan
In Washington DC..... I guess they've got a lot of shovel ready projects there:eusa_eh:

Why The Booming Washington DC Economy Is Really Depressing

The stimulus may have been too small to save the economy -- at least according to Krugman -- but the expansion of the Federal Government has done wonders for Washington DC.

POLITICO has a new report on the wide disparity between the DC economy and that of the rest of the world. The unemployment rate in the nation's capital is just 6%, well below the national average.

The housing market, boosted by the large number of high-income earners in the area, many working in politics and government, is easily outpacing the markets in most of the country. And there are few signs of economic distress in hotels, restaurants or stores in the D.C. metro area.

As a result, there is a yawning gap between the American people and D.C.’s powerful when it comes to their economic reality — and their economic perceptions.

That DC insiders have a rose-colored view of the national economy isn't the big scandal here.

The scandal is the continuation of dynasty-preserving institutions. Financial industry hiring may have sputtered out, but there's a bright new home for the elite and well-connected just down the Acela.

On Friday, the DC insider/pundit Matthew Yglessias mused:

I think a neglected part of the labor market adjustment story is the geographical rigidities imposed by aspects of human nature and the housing market. There are enormous disparities in the unemployment rate from metro area to metro area that underscore the fact that our labor market is not perfectly integrated. Ask yourself why everyone doesn’t just leave greater Las Vegas, where unemployment is 14.1 percent, and move to the DC area where it’s only 6 percent. There are plenty of reasons, some we could (and should) try to remediate and some we probably can’t. But they make it difficult for modest growth to translate into maximum employment gains quickly.

Please. Housing-related immobility is not the reason the fine folks of Vegas aren't just packing up and going to DC. Even if suddenly they did have the mobility to move, there'd be nothing for them to do once they got there. K-Street lobbyists, Congressmen, and the Yglessias' own Center For American Progress won't have jobs available for folks fresh off the boat from Vegas, who spent the boom years in the service industry or building homes.

DC is doing great, but it's for a specific slice of the elites who were doing fine pre-crisis. If you're a normal yokel, please don't show up looking for work.

Surprise, Surprise! Government workers are happier than pigs in shit. It's the rest of us that are getting screwed over.

I think they need a pay raise, don't you?:cuckoo: These people are leaching off the rest of us, the federal workforce should be cut and thier pay should be reduced equal to the private sector.

More federal workers' pay tops $150,000

The number of federal workers earning $150,000 or more a year has soared tenfold in the past five years and doubled since President Obama took office, a USA TODAY analysis finds.
The fast-growing pay of federal employees has captured the attention of fiscally conservative Republicans who won control of the U.S. House of Representatives in last week's elections. Already, some lawmakers are planning to use the lame-duck session that starts Monday to challenge the president's plan to give a 1.4% across-the-board pay raise to 2.1 million federal workers.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2010-11-10-1Afedpay10_ST_N.htm

I think they need a pay raise, don't you?:cuckoo: These people are leaching off the rest of us, the federal workforce should be cut and thier pay should be reduced equal to the private sector.

The number of federal workers earning $150,000 or more a year has soared tenfold in the past five years and doubled since President Obama took office, a USA TODAY analysis finds.
The fast-growing pay of federal employees has captured the attention of fiscally conservative Republicans who won control of the U.S. House of Representatives in last week's elections. Already, some lawmakers are planning to use the lame-duck session that starts Monday to challenge the president's plan to give a 1.4% across-the-board pay raise to 2.1 million federal workers.

More federal workers' pay tops $150,000 - USATODAY.com

I'd love to see them back on a 40 hour work week too! Do you really think 6 weeks is enough vacation? I'd like to see some of them get a 52 week vacation. ;)

Federal workers are just another arm of the Democrat party, They use OUR TAX DOLLARS to promote the dems and increase thier #s

Federal worker union blasts tea party in radio ad

Thursday, October 14, 2010; 6:45 PM

The nation's largest federal worker union plans to air a radio ad in seven states to attack tea party-backed Republican congressional candidates who promise to cut government spending and freeze federal hiring.

In the ad, the American Federation of Government Employees knocks what it calls "bumper sticker solutions" presented by the candidates to pay down the federal deficit, arguing that blanket federal spending cuts would affect Social Security payments, veterans' health care and border security, among other services.

"The Republican tea party Pledge to America says, 'Cut taxes for the rich and cut government,' " AFGE President John Gage says in the ad. "Some have even said, 'Close the government down.' Then what? Food and mine inspection - gone. Forget about border patrol or keeping terrorists locked up. And returning veterans? Give them a cheap voucher instead of a quality VA hospital. Let's dump in the rivers and pollute the air again."

Toward the end, Gage says: "We're all angry and frustrated. But when you vote, remember who got us into this mess in the first place."

House Republicans announced a series of proposals last month that would scale back this year's health-care reforms and curtail government spending by cutting wasteful programs and implementing a one-year freeze on the hiring of non-security federal workers.

The hiring freeze "is reasonable and necessary," said Rep. Jason Chaffetz (R-Utah), who helped announce the proposals. "In the face of massive debt, we must do more with less."

AFGE - which represents about 600,000 federal workers - plans to air its 60-second counter message in Kentucky, Minnesota, Missouri, Nevada, Ohio, Pennsylvania and West Virginia, states with competitive Senate races and high-profile GOP candidates. The ad will air through Election Day, during morning and afternoon drive-time shows on news, sports and music stations, costing the union about $500,000.

The ad buy is modest when compared with Democratic and Republican campaign committees that spend a similar figure each week in individual states or competitive congressional districts.

"We're trying to let people see what government really is," Gage said in an interview. "I have a sneaking suspicion that a lot of people really don't get it and really have to be thinking about what alternatives there are after you try to go make up this deficit by cutting government programs."

Some GOP candidates are citing the proposed hiring freeze during debates and campaign speeches.

Asked Thursday about potential government spending cuts, Republican Christine O'Donnell, who is running for the Senate in Delaware, suggested putting "a hiring freeze on non-security personnel. And then, of course, when we're talking about cutting government spending, we've got to talk about waste, fraud and abuse."

"Waste and abuse and saving paper clips is not the answer to this deficit problem," Gage said, urging Republicans to present more substantive proposals. In the meantime, AFGE will fight to keep Democrats in office, he said.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/10/14/AR2010101405861.html

Last edited:
But...but. Those workers buy things. It's a consumer economy.
I know, let's fire everyone in this country and let the government hire them! Imagine the prosperity we'll have then!

Surprise, Surprise! Government workers are happier than pigs in shit. It's the rest of us that are getting screwed over.

They are really happy little pigs in NM. The state where they can retire early...get a huge severance package. Then be hired back with a raise in pay. It's quite the scam....I mean deal. :lol:

You beat me to it. I was going to post the same! :cool:

But I'll add this, it adds a certain something, especially for us that are underemployed:

2mgsg8j.png

They are really happy little pigs in NM. The state where they can retire early...get a huge severance package. Then be hired back with a raise in pay. It's quite the scam....I mean deal. :lol:

I was alway's amazed in Albuquerque, and NM in general with the percentage of the population held by State and Federal workers and contractors. Very disproportionate.

But I'll add this, it adds a certain something, especially for us that are underemployed:

2mgsg8j.png

That's not benefits either. The Class that displaced the Middle Class, for sure. Right out of "We The Living".

517Ws4gbCTL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

In Washington DC..... I guess they've got a lot of shovel ready projects there:eusa_eh:

The stimulus may have been too small to save the economy -- at least according to Krugman -- but the expansion of the Federal Government has done wonders for Washington DC.

POLITICO has a new report on the wide disparity between the DC economy and that of the rest of the world. The unemployment rate in the nation's capital is just 6%, well below the national average.

The housing market, boosted by the large number of high-income earners in the area, many working in politics and government, is easily outpacing the markets in most of the country. And there are few signs of economic distress in hotels, restaurants or stores in the D.C. metro area.

As a result, there is a yawning gap between the American people and D.C.’s powerful when it comes to their economic reality — and their economic perceptions.

That DC insiders have a rose-colored view of the national economy isn't the big scandal here.

The scandal is the continuation of dynasty-preserving institutions. Financial industry hiring may have sputtered out, but there's a bright new home for the elite and well-connected just down the Acela.

On Friday, the DC insider/pundit Matthew Yglessias mused:

I think a neglected part of the labor market adjustment story is the geographical rigidities imposed by aspects of human nature and the housing market. There are enormous disparities in the unemployment rate from metro area to metro area that underscore the fact that our labor market is not perfectly integrated. Ask yourself why everyone doesn’t just leave greater Las Vegas, where unemployment is 14.1 percent, and move to the DC area where it’s only 6 percent. There are plenty of reasons, some we could (and should) try to remediate and some we probably can’t. But they make it difficult for modest growth to translate into maximum employment gains quickly.

Please. Housing-related immobility is not the reason the fine folks of Vegas aren't just packing up and going to DC. Even if suddenly they did have the mobility to move, there'd be nothing for them to do once they got there. K-Street lobbyists, Congressmen, and the Yglessias' own Center For American Progress won't have jobs available for folks fresh off the boat from Vegas, who spent the boom years in the service industry or building homes.

DC is doing great, but it's for a specific slice of the elites who were doing fine pre-crisis. If you're a normal yokel, please don't show up looking for work.

It's worked for shithead leftwingers who try to pretend they aren't neocons.

Forum List

Back