Obama's speech on race will carry him to the White House

Do you think he actually defended racism? Or did he treat it as a fact of life?

This is the reality in which Reverend Wright and other African-Americans of his generation grew up. They came of age in the late fifties and early sixties, a time when segregation was still the law of the land and opportunity was systematically constricted. What’s remarkable is not how many failed in the face of discrimination, but rather how many men and women overcame the odds; how many were able to make a way out of no way for those like me who would come after them.

So this isn't a defense of racism? Is is not an excuse? Is it not an attemt at justificaton?

So this isn't a defense of racism? Is is not an excuse? Is it not an attemt at justificaton?

No. I don't think so. I was watching for that, and what I saw was an acceptance of the reality of racism and the statement that it ignores the changes that have been made; ignores the fact that were things as bad as wright says, then Obama's candidacy wouldn't even be possible.

I wrote elsewhere that it's kind of like when one of our relatives says awful stuff, it doesn't mean their statements can be attributed to us, but nor do we have to stop loving those wayward relatives just because they say stupid stuff.

No. I don't think so. I was watching for that, and what I saw was an acceptance of the reality of racism and the statement that it ignores the changes that have been made; ignores the fact that were things as bad as wright says, then Obama's candidacy wouldn't even be possible.

I wrote elsewhere that it's kind of like when one of our relatives says awful stuff, it doesn't mean their statements can be attributed to us, but nor do we have to stop loving those wayward relatives just because they say stupid stuff.

I see your point, but we don't try to justify those stupid comments made by our relatives. Obama clearly tried to show cause for Wright's statements.

I see your point, but we don't try to justify those stupid comments made by our relatives. Obama clearly tried to show cause for Wright's statements.

Well, there is a history. Right, wrong or indifferent. At least he didn't try to insult our intelligence by saying, "oh, I never liked him anyway"... or somesuch.

The truth is, as much as many of us would like to sugarcoat it, there's a real racial chasm in this country. Wright's words exposed the underbelly of that. But maybe it is time to have a real discussion on these issues.

On the other hand, I'm not sure how someone who lived through Jim Crow can help but carry resentment (not to the extent of Wright's obviously) same as anyone who lives in any type of oppression.

No, onthefence, I don't feel that he tried to show cause for Wright's statements; contrarily, he tried to show generational feelings of blacks toward whites and vice versa. He did point out that Wright was a child of the 60s and all that the Civil Rights era portrayed. Also let's not forget that many black churches subject congregants to similar diatribes.
Granted, no one likes one's own country damned, by God or anything or body else, but, in context, I sort of have to agree with the man.
I'm on Jillian's wavelength on this one.
I don't agree that this one speech will give him the election. Many conservative magazines and columnists are equally as orgasmic over the speech as any others who praised it It's eight months till November and there're still nine/ten primaries to go and a convention and some possibly mightily peeved Michiganders and Floridians who might vote to spite whoever the Democratic nominee is.

there is no doubt that BHO is a talented orator but i still don't buy his rhetoric

i don't know about you but i am tired of hearing blacks whine about slavery. it was a long time ago so get over it. and BHO himself has no claim to the slavery card since his father was not a descendent of slaves nor was his mother

as an aside, why is it that america is the worst actor in the slavery issue? why is it that blacks don't condemn the african tribes that sold their slaves to the white slave merchants? that's right folks contrary to what the made for tv movie roots has taught you, most africans brought to america as slaves were already enslaved by other african tribes and not rounded up in nets by hunting parties

but enough of that

yes there is no doubt that segregation and discrimination of blacks existed, but there was still opportunity to be had and instead of blaming white america for their plight blacks as a community should have come together but they never did

the disintegration of the black family unit is not the fault of america ,as BHO would have you believe, it is the fault of all the black men who abandoned their responsibilities and their families

BHO talks about his books but maybe he should read this one

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Stupid-Black-Men-Play-Card/dp/0312367333"]http://www.amazon.com/Stupid-Black-Men-Play-Card/dp/0312367333[/ame]

lets face it this was nothing more than playing the race card. and he did it because he had to to save himself and his candidacy. if a white presidential candidate said that the rev david duke was his life long mentor and spiritual adviser, would he be given a pass?????

and personally, i don't believe anyone who sits through 20 years of listening to the type of anti american diatribes of rev. wrong can say with any credibility that he does not agree with those rantings. any one who calls a man like rev. wrong his mentor, friend and spiritual adviser for the past 20 years has more agreement than disagreement with the thought opinions and attitudes of said mentor. seriously if BHO is as smart as we all think he is how long would he have listened to a wacko who preaches that the american government purposely infected the black man with AIDS if on some level he didn't believe it???

there is something wrong here and BHO is not the man you all seem to think he is

please just treat him with all the same distrust as you would any other politician and we might just be ok. but if we regard this guy as anything other than a politician who will do anything , say anything to get elected then we are doomed because we have abandoned reason in favor of rhetoric

On the other hand, I'm not sure how someone who lived through Jim Crow can help but carry resentment (not to the extent of Wright's obviously) same as anyone who lives in any type of oppression.

Wright didn't exactly live through Jim Crow. He was born in Philly, educated in DC, and lives in Chicago.

Forum List

Back