Obama's Social Security welfare

Actually, the Op-Ed was from Friday, September 21, 2007 (you know, before the Iowa caucases). You must have only noticed the "Friday" part when you googled. :rolleyes:

And THIS is what Obama actually said:

First, I will fight against efforts to privatize Social Security, as I and others did when President Bush proposed private accounts a few years ago. Privatization is wrong. It tears at the fabric of Social Security — the idea of mutual responsibility — by subjecting a secure retirement to the whims of the market.

Second, I do not want to cut benefits or raise the retirement age. I believe there are a number of ways we can make Social Security solvent that do not involve placing these added burdens on our seniors. One possible option, for example, is to raise the cap on the amount of income subject to the Social Security tax. If we kept the payroll tax rate exactly the same but applied it to all earnings and not just the first $97,500, we could virtually eliminate the entire Social Security shortfall.

http://www.qctimes.com/articles/2007/09/21/opinion/opinion/doc46f35dac127eb409456532.txt

You DON'T think teachers need raises? If you don't, I can see why you support Bush. It takes a moron to support one.

Teachers are one of this country's most vital assets. They teach the future leaders of this country the tools they will need to run it. In short, they ARE our investment in the future. If you don't think that's important, get the fuck out of this country.

Well you can see what happens when someone is the product of a substandard education. You get posts like the one you quoted.

Actually, the Op-Ed was from Friday, September 21, 2007 (you know, before the Iowa caucases). You must have only noticed the "Friday" part when you googled. :rolleyes:

And THIS is what Obama actually said:

http://www.qctimes.com/articles/2007/09/21/opinion/opinion/doc46f35dac127eb409456532.txt

No, I know it was from 2007. Are you saying that just because the article is old it isn't relevant to his position on Social Security? Raising the cap past about $98,000 would be a tax hike on the middle class. Also, this would eliminate the notion that you get what you pay into Social Security. I like I have said before this is only prolonging the envitable, failure.

No, I know it was from 2007. Are you saying that just because the article is old it isn't relevant to his position on Social Security? Raising the cap past about $98,000 would be a tax hike on the middle class. Also, this would eliminate the notion that you get what you pay into Social Security. I like I have said before this is only prolonging the envitable, failure.

If you knew it was from 2007, I'm sure it was just oversight to say it was in Friday's paper, right?

How much of the middle class earns in excess of $97,500? Since you say it impacts on the middle class, I suspect this would be important. Because we're not really talking about the middle class, are we? We're talking about the wealthy again... THEY'RE the ones who get a charged comparably to what the middle class really is charged. Me? I don't mind paying a bit more if it fixes what's been messed up by the rape of the social security trust fund.

If you knew it was from 2007, I'm sure it was just oversight to say it was in Friday's paper, right?

How much of the middle class earns in excess of $97,500? Since you say it impacts on the middle class, I suspect this would be important. Because we're not really talking about the middle class, are we? We're talking about the wealthy again... THEY'RE the ones who get a charged comparably to what the middle class really is charged. Me? I don't mind paying a bit more if it fixes what's been messed up by the rape of the social security trust fund.

I said it was in Friday's paper, I think the article mentioned Friday, not me??

Well by Obama's account anybody who makes lower than $200,000 to $250,000 so that would include the middle class right? I mind constricting economic growth and overly burdensome taxes that do not resolve an issue. Yes, call me silly but I seem to think our taxes should go to worthwhile causes.:rolleyes:

Obama's idea, which he described on the op-ed page of Friday's Quad City Times as being "one possible option" and not a formal plan, would raise more than $1 trillion over 10 years by subjecting income of more than $97,000 to a 12.4 percent tax. Half of the tax would be paid by employees and half would be paid by employers.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/story?id=3638710

So much for no plan and a partisian article aye??? More taxes on the middle class and further constricting economic growth.

12.4% tax? Is that including state taxes? Even if not, I don't make that much and I get taxed about 19% overall. The fed takes most of it. That really doesn't sound so horrible to me.

12.4% tax? Is that including state taxes? Even if not, I don't make that much and I get taxed about 19% overall. The fed takes most of it. That really doesn't sound so horrible to me.

No, that tax doesn't include other taxes. The 12.4% tax is a Social Security tax on income over $98,000.

New Topics

Forum List

Back