Obama's secret advantage- people's inability to admit a mistake

How will you vote in 2012 compared to 2008?

• I voted for Obama in 2008, and will vote for him again.

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • I voted for Obama in 2008, but won't vote him this time.

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • I didn't vote for him in 2008, and won't vote for him in 2012

Votes: 31 72.1%
  • I didn't vote for him in 2008, but might vote for him in 2012

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I didn't vote in 2008 at all because I was too young, not a citizen, or hated all the choices.

Votes: 2 4.7%

• Total voters
Well, if this poll is any indication, Obama is in trouble. 5% of the people who said they voted for him in 08 won't vote for him in 12, and no one who said they didn't vote for him would for vote for him next year. A 5% swing would almost certainly deep-six Obama.
Too bad we can't see who voted.:eusa_hand:

My bad.

Toto claims he's one of the ones who voted for Obama last time
and is going to vote for the WMR this time. And if you believe that, I have some swamp land on planet Kolob I can sell you.
Link?

My bad.

and is going to vote for the WMR this time. And if you believe that, I have some swamp land on planet Kolob I can sell you.
Link?

I supported Obama in 08 and will probably support Romney this year.
I did not know that. You're more of a commie than I ever suspected. :lol:

What is the difference between Obama and Mitten?

My bad.

Link?

NOt that I really belive that, (unless, of course, like all RINO's, you suddenly decide you are going to be against Romney after he gets the nomination, like all the RINO's hated McCain after HE got the nomination.)

But are you willing to admit that you made a "mistake" supporting Obama?

On policy. - none.

On personal integrity. Well, Obama sincerely belives what he believes.

Romney says whatever he thinks will get him votes.

NOt that I really belive that, (unless, of course, like all RINO's, you suddenly decide you are going to be against Romney after he gets the nomination, like all the RINO's hated McCain after HE got the nomination.)

Why is that so important to you?

Why is that so important to you?

Because I don't think the people who did can admit it.

I think the two people who claimed they did are Romney supporters who panicked when they realized that their guy isn't attracting these "side switchers" they claim are out there.

On policy. - none.

Does that mean you'd vote for Obama over Mitten?

On policy. - none.

Given that choice, I'd probably vote third party. Or write in "Jack Ryan", which is what I do when I hate all the candidates.

(Jack was the 2004 pick of the GOP until the GOP-Machine combine sandbagged him off the ballot over bullshit, inflicting Obama on us.)

On a philosophical level, I would say I respect Obama more, because even though he's wrong on, well, everything, at least he's sincere about it.

On policy. - none.

Given that choice, I'd probably vote third party. Or write in "Jack Ryan", which is what I do when I hate all the candidates.

(Jack was the 2004 pick of the GOP until the GOP-Machine combine sandbagged him off the ballot over bullshit, inflicting Obama on us.)

On a philosophical level, I would say I respect Obama more, because even though he's wrong on, well, everything, at least he's sincere about it.
Voting that way could mean Mitt would win. I was going to write in Hillary last time but my disgust for Palin forced me to vote for Obama.

You seem to feel the same about Romney as I do about Palin so I find it odd that you wouldn't vote to keep him out of office.

Nixon won re-election largely by decimating, through dirty tricks, worthier opponents. Also, he used "banana republic" economics, i.e. the wage and price controls combined with devaluation and heavy Fed stimulus to ensure a temporarily palmy economic environment.
I think people are too hard on Nixon, who was more of a leader than Obama and the six idiots put together. An argument can be made that Nixon only lost in 1960 due to Democratic vote fraud....I think there was a lot more to it than that. First, McGovern was simply a horrible opponent. the Hippies hijacked the party and slammed it into the wall. And give Nixon his due, he kept the economy stable while ending a war, and changed the dynamic of the Cold War by playing the two major adversaries off against each other.
I think that liberal or conservative voters should correctly view Nixon as neither, but a thug. As far as Illinois vote fraud, other Republican jurisdictions had that as well. Nebraska is widely rumored to have had a fraudulent result.

As for 1972, this is how memory serves me.

During the spring of 1971 things were going poorly for Nixon. The economy was barely emerging from the 1969-70 recession, but prices started surging at 5-6% annual rates, around what they were before we entered the recession. Long term rates zoomed as well, after a brief drop during 1970.

The Vietnam War, the "peace talks" and the withdrawal from Vietnam were not going well either. Adding to the misery, the Pentagon Papers came out during June 1971. While they covered only the Democratic administrations, Nixon and Johnson were personally rather close, and the administration was bound at the hip to prior policies.

So, in order to rescue himself from what looked like an economic and foreign policy debacle, on, I believe, August 15, 1971 Nixon took the following steps:

1. Devalued the U.S. dollar by 10%(not sure on amount);
  2. Slammed closed the gold window, effectively eliminating the gold standard (this was finalized in the Smithsonian Accords that December);
  3. Imposed an import tariff of, I believe, 10% (not sure on amount); and
  4. Imposed a short-term wage and price freeze (eventually called "Phase I wage and price controls)
These steps were what "kept the economy stable while ending a war".

As for foreign policy he was said to have "play(ed) the two major adversaries off against each other". This had utterly no benefits in any of the world's hot spots, either Vietnam or in the Middle East. What we had was a craven surrender of Taiwan to the Communists, and a pulling of the plug on the South Vietnamese. In my view, the purpose of the Peking February 1972 and Moscow May 1972 visits was to create a sense of euphoria, not unlike a heroin high.

We paid for it richly as allies stopped relying on the U.S. because the U.S.'s word was not worth the paper it wasn't written on.

In short, Nixon was a scoundrel.

All the same, I was probably the only person in my high school (I was a senior) to support Gerald Ford's pardon of Nixon since I felt that the 18 months leading up to September 1974 were marked largely by paralysis. I did believe that Nixon cut a deal for himself to resign. All the same, I was happy to see him out and the country's business again being conducted.

Incidently, didn't vote for Obama, probably won't vote for him next time. (Although if the GOP nominates Romney, I won't vote GOP, either.) But I do find this interesting.
You see, here's the thing. I don't see beating Obama as a priority. It'd be nice, as long as it doesn't put Romney in the White House. Romney would be worse for a whole lot of reasons, not the least of which is that he turns the GOP into Democratic Party Mark II. The GOP might actually benefit from a second Obama term. It will have more time to develop and articulate oppossing philosophies.

Here's where I see the real problem with the GOP today. Most of its assumptions have been debunked. It has to rework what its assumptions are, and reconnect with the middle class.

In any case, I don't see 5 million Obama Supporters changing their minds.
As for Obama you may be right that the G.O.P. would benefit from a second Obama term. I am not prepared to see a country I love destroyed in the process.

Also important is Obama's effect on our allies. They are losing their respect, fast, for U.S. policy, and find us unreliable.

Israel is also a vital forward base in a part of the world where the nearest (somewhat) stable country in the direction of the Pacific is India. We simply need to rope down that part of the world and setting Israel up to be butchered by Arab hordes is not a good idea.

You nailed it pretty good. I voted for Nixon three times. His activities essentially ended my Republican years. I did vote for Reagan in 1984 but I wish I had not.

Nixon ended the mandatory conscription of young men for military service and I believe that was a mistake. Old white men should not be given the power to start unnecessary wars knowing that their own will never serve in them.

One more thing for which I will never forgive Richard Nixon is the methodic grid bombing of N. Vietnam and Cambodia with no concern for innocent collaterals. Over 1,000,000 humans, most of them civilian were annialated because of that.

Voting that way could mean Mitt would win. I was going to write in Hillary last time but my disgust for Palin forced me to vote for Obama.

You seem to feel the same about Romney as I do about Palin so I find it odd that you wouldn't vote to keep him out of office.

Well, here's the thing. I live in IL. Because we have this retarded system called the Electoral College, there is simply no scenario where Obama is going to be in any risk of losing his home state. If it ever gets that bad for him, he's probably lost the rest of the country and things have gotten so bad I'll need a stock of ammunition to ward off the gangs of mauraders.

So voting for Obama would be meaningless other than to vent my spleen.

On the other hand, if there is a viable third party where conservatives can go, preferably one that puts the interests of working class conservatives over the Washington and Wall Street elites, voting for that person would send a message to the Washington establishment that, hey, you guys ran roughshod over us and didn't even buy us flowers afterwards, and here's our protest.

Plans within plans, gears within gears.

Dude, you're one of the most rabid anti-capitalists here, you are pro-union, you think business owners should be beaten if they fire workers, you're an atheist, and you're hardly a friend of Israel. You calling others a RINO is like a sectarian calling out anti-Semites. Oh wait, that's you too.

Well, here's the thing. I live in IL. Because we have this retarded system called the Electoral College, there is simply no scenario where Obama is going to be in any risk of losing his home state. If it ever gets that bad for him, he's probably lost the rest of the country and things have gotten so bad I'll need a stock of ammunition to ward off the gangs of mauraders.

So voting for Obama would be meaningless other than to vent my spleen.

On the other hand, if there is a viable third party where conservatives can go, preferably one that puts the interests of working class conservatives over the Washington and Wall Street elites, voting for that person would send a message to the Washington establishment that, hey, you guys ran roughshod over us and didn't even buy us flowers afterwards, and here's our protest.

Plans within plans, gears within gears.

Every state has the electoral college. I live in Tennessee and seven of the last ten elections our 11 delegates have gone to the Republicans. We have to understand that when the forebears came up with that scheme it was so only a few people would have to travel long distances by horse or horse drawn carriage...the only methods of transportation. 'Course I might point out that they owned slaves and wrote into the constitution that one is worth 60% of a man.

Romney is competent. Obama is not.

Romney understands business. Obama does not.

Romney is closer to the center. Obama is not.

I get the negatives with him. I'm leaning towards supporting Huntsman in the primary, but he will not get the nomination. So I will likely support Romney in November.

I get the negatives with him. I'm leaning towards supporting Huntsman in the primary, but he will not get the nomination. So I will likely support Romney in November.

Barack Obama graduated magna cum laude from Harvard law school.

You guys are hung up on Texas cowboys with C averages and a real "Gift Of Gab!" LMAO!!

Last edited:

Do you vote?

it wasn't a mistake given the alternative.

and you guys haven't provided anyone who is a good alternative.

so there ya go.
Exactly. My vote for Obama was not a mistake given that the alternative could have made Sarah Palin president.

And there is no one currently trying for the Republican nomination that would be an improvement on Obama.

And a vote that could have Biden being President is any better??

:rolleyes:

Anything at this point would be better than Obama... my only hope is the Republicans get a nominee that is closer to my stances/ideals than we have had in the past

Obama's secret advantage?- People don't want to be crucified on the GOP's cross of GOLD

New Topics

Forum List

Back