Obama's recycled SOTU speech.

I don't see how the use of similar rhetoric is damning. Most issues that face the nation are ones that are sorta on-going, so it's not really a surprise that the President would bring those themes up again. I'm sure you could do a similar video of Bush's SOTU addresses.

Ok, let's see one......:eusa_whistle:

I don't see how the use of similar rhetoric is damning. Most issues that face the nation are ones that are sorta on-going, so it's not really a surprise that the President would bring those themes up again. I'm sure you could do a similar video of Bush's SOTU addresses.

Are you really going to go the mat on this one? I'm not watching and mixing 10+ hours of video.

Are you really going to go the mat on this one? I'm not watching and mixing 10+ hours of video.

I didn't spend more than 30 seconds on google to find that one.....Of course, Obama says the same shit every day- nothing new, ever: Hope and change. Social Justice. Fairness. Notion. I. Me. My. blah blah blah....:lol:

"It's time to apply the same rules from top to bottom: No bailouts, no handouts, and no copouts."

all while speaking of bail outs hand outs and cops out.:eusa_dance::doubt:

He's one of teh biggest practitioners of crony capitalism ever. How many Dept of Energy loans were made to cronies of his for "green energy"?

He is schizophrenic too....

Bailouts are awesome: "On the day I took office, our auto industry was on the verge of collapse. Some even said we should let it die. With a million jobs at stake, I refused to let that happen. ... Today, General Motors is back on top as the world's number one automaker. Chrysler has grown faster in the U.S. than any major car company. ... We bet on American workers. We bet on American ingenuity. And tonight, the American auto industry is back." --Barack Obama

Bailouts are terrible: "It's time to apply the same rules from top to bottom: No bailouts, no handouts, and no copouts. An America built to last insists on responsibility from everybody." --Barack Obama, later in the same SOTU

TARP still owes $133B...
:confused:
State of the debt neglected in Obama speech
Wednesday, January 25, 2012 - ‘Where’s the guts?’ to confront fiscal crisis, critics ask
Deficit hawks are criticizing President Obama, who spent much of last year locked in acrimonious talks with Republicans over how to trim the $15 trillion federal debt, for all but ignoring the fiscal crisis in his election-year State of the Union address. Mr. Obama barely mentioned the subject Tuesday night. Republicans who scrutinized the president’s speech calculated that he devoted just 2.8 percent of it to debt reduction, and that portion was largely a rehash of his call for higher taxes on the wealthy. They also noted that he glossed over the country’s massive borrowing on the 1,000th day since Senate Democrats last approved a federal budget. “He deliberately, calculatedly decided to ignore the ominous threat hanging over this country,” Sen. Jeff Sessions, Alabama Republican and ranking member of the Budget Committee, said in an interview. “It’s a total failure of leadership.”

Former U.S. Comptroller General David Walker, a crusader for debt reduction, said Mr. Obama failed to level with the public about the tough spending choices faced by the government. “The president did not admit that America’s financial condition was poor and deteriorating, and he failed to provide a clear path forward to restore fiscal sanity,” said Mr. Walker, founder of the nonprofit Comeback America Initiative. During a visit Wednesday at a manufacturing plant in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, Mr. Obama said more government spending is vital to generate more tax revenue. “You hear a lot of talk about deficits and debt,” Mr. Obama said. “And those are legitimate concerns, although the most important thing we can do to actually reduce the debt is to grow the economy. So we can’t abandon our investments in things like manufacturing and education investment, because if we’re growing faster, the debt and deficits start coming down, the numbers get easier to manage.”

In his speech Tuesday night, Mr. Obama proposed using half the savings from ending the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan for debt reduction. The other half would be spent on infrastructure projects and other programs. Mr. Sessions said the savings from drawing down military deployments should be used to reduce “our enormous borrowing.” He noted that even Democrats on the president’s Simpson-Bowles deficit-reduction commission advocated cutting $4 trillion over the next decade. “He ignored it,” Mr. Sessions said of the president. “It’s going to be more difficult to achieve fiscal sanity this year without the president’s leadership.” Former Sen. Alan Simpson, Wyoming Republican and co-chairman of the bipartisan presidential commission, also was unimpressed after the address. “Where’s the guts? Where’s the hard stuff? Where’s the beef?” he asked rhetorically in an interview on Fox Business Network.

MORE

See also:

Taxpayers are still owed $132.9 billion from President Barack Obama’s financial bailout
1/26/12 - Some of those funds will never be repaid, a government watchdog says
Taxpayers are still owed $132.9 billion from the financial bailout initiated under President George W. Bush and continued by President Barack Obama, and some of those funds will never be repaid, a government watchdog says in a report to Congress Thursday. The special inspector general for the Troubled Asset Relief Program, which supervises, audits and investigates actions taken under the massive bailout that flooded the economy with hundreds of billions of dollars, said in its quarterly report that the program is expected to continue existing for years.

For example, some TARP programs that support the housing market are expected to exist into 2017, with the government able to spend $51 billion more in the coming years. The Treasury Department has already “written off or realized” losses of $12 billion, and it expects continued losses on some bailout investments, the report said, citing the weak economic recovery as one reason there is slow progress in recouping outstanding TARP funds.

Because of volatile markets and a sluggish economic recovery, it could be challenging to recover some of the Treasury’s investments in more than 400 companies, including AIG, General Motors, Ally Financial and community banks, in the near term, according to the report. The watchdog said one of the biggest misconceptions about TARP is that the program had essentially ended when some of the bigger banks recently repaid and exited the program, when, in reality, some of the programs will continue to be in effect in the years to come, while others do not even have scheduled end dates.

The Treasury “may not be able to exit its investments” in AIG or the auto industry until markets are healthy again, the report warned: the Treasury still has a substantial 77 percent ownership stake in AIG, 32 percent stake in GM and 74 percent stake in Ally Financial. “Treasury has made substantial progress winding down TARP and has already recovered more than 77 percent of the funds disbursed for the program through repayments and other income,” Treasury spokesperson Matt Anderson said in a statement. “We’ve made clear that moving forward we’ll continue to balance the important goals of exiting our investments as soon as practicable and maximizing value for taxpayers.”

Report: TARP still owes $133B - MJ Lee - POLITICO.com

I wonder if Bush talked about the war on terror in more than one SOTU speech?

I wonder . . .

January 26, 2012

Greed Is Good?

"There are some Republicans who can’t wait to take the issue of Buffett’s tax rate vs. Bosanek’s head-on. They are eager to argue that one of the world’s richest men deserves to pay a lower rate because his income derives from job-creating investments. These Republicans presumably consider his secretary a mere salaried employee who spends her money on such fripperies as, you know, food, shelter, clothing and transportation.

“The issue I think that’s going to play out this election is that question of Warren Buffett’s secretary,” House Majority Leader Eric Cantor, R-Va., said Wednesday on CNN. “We want her to make more money, we want her to have more hope for the future. . . . [But] this notion that somehow the income that Warren Buffett makes is the same as a wage income for his secretary, we know that’s not the same

In other words, it’s not just that the rich are better than the rest of us but also that their money is better than our money."

class+warfare.jpg

Same speech, different year. Same old rhetoric and failed policies- of course, it's not his fault!!

I find that when you're dealing with children that only know the word 'NO', you often have to repeat yourself. :cool:

You know what's amusing, Konradv? You progressives keep trying to pass yourselves off as the "adults" in the room but you spend money like idiotic children with Mom & Dad's credit card while complaining non stop about the people who tell you 'NO'.

If you REALLY want to be adult? Pass a damn budget and make some tough cuts to get our deficit under control.

I wonder if Bush talked about the war on terror in more than one SOTU speech?

I wonder . . .

link??

Get full text here.

State of the Union Addresses of the Presidents of the United States

He has a segment to talk about how we're "winning the war on terror" in both the 2002 and 2003 addresses. He also talks about reducing dependence on foreign energy in all of them. There were at least three where he talked about nuclear energy.

Like I said before, every president uses a lot of recycled themes because most of our problems are continuing issues. It's been fine for generation, but when Obama does it, it's proof in your mind that he's evil/stupid/whatever else.

Same speech, different year. Same old rhetoric and failed policies- of course, it's not his fault!!

I find that when you're dealing with children that only know the word 'NO', you often have to repeat yourself. :cool:

You know what's amusing, Konradv? You progressives keep trying to pass yourselves off as the "adults" in the room but you spend money like idiotic children with Mom & Dad's credit card while complaining non stop about the people who tell you 'NO'.

If you REALLY want to be adult? Pass a damn budget and make some tough cuts to get our deficit under control.

The Democrats have offered to make tough cuts, but they're not going to let the Republicans dictate the terms.

The Democrats have offered to make tough cuts, but they're not going to let the Republicans dictate the terms.

such as;

??????????????????

how about that cowboy poetry?

Hate to point out the obvious here, Polk...but when the Democrats had super majorities for a year and a half...what tough cuts did they make?

There's a huge difference between "talking" about making cuts and actually making the cuts. The Democrats can't even make a budget let alone tough cuts. And as far as the Republicans "dictating" the terms? The American people sent a message in the 2010 mid-term elections when they elected Republicans in record breaking numbers. Like it or not...Obama, Harry and Nancy are going to have to compromise with the Republicans. For the past six months Barack hasn't spoken with a Republican leader and Reid has piled up over 30 bills passed by the GOP led House that he won't let come to a vote in the Senate. So tell me who's trying to "dictate the terms"?

As Barack Obama once famously said..."Elections have consequences". Funny how he no longer seems to feel that way when said elections went against him and his agenda.

Forum List

Back