Obama's Proposed Budget

FA_Q2

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2009
Washington State
Obama budget: Questions and answers about President Obama's budget - baltimoresun.com
The President's Budget for Fiscal Year 2012 | The White House
(has a good visual of the budget)

So, Obama has unveiled his budget plans for 2012. It is kind of funny as there is still nothing solid for 2011 but it is there anyway. What say you to his new plan?

Personally I find that maintaining a deficit of over 1 trillion dollars is nuts and would like to see some actual headway here. Not only that but much of the reduction is in a tax increase, not in controlling spending. I keep hearing about the debt but the debt is not the real problem. It is not the fact that we are in a 15 trillion dollar debt that is such a concern but the fact that, while we have such a massive debt, we are still increasing it over a trillion dollars a year and this is AFTER the stimulus. Pre massive spending we had deficit records braking at 600 billion and now the president is putting forth a budget that is over 1 trillion in deficit. Even if the entire cost of the wars were removed the deficit would still be over 700 billion. All around, he is talking about spending cuts and asking for spending increases. Sure, it looks like the record deficit this year that should be around 1.6 trillion will not be met but not making the record for the highest deficit of all time AGAIN is hardly a triumph.

My thoughts on it are simple, if anyone thought Obama was a far left liberal communist this ought to clear up their delusional mid state.

I saw some of his cuts and they're only going to make things worse such as cuts to a fund designed to improve inner cities, people are going to live in deeper filth and poorer housing and conditions, which means crime will just skyrocket.

I suppose that you would cut other things? And the default answer here, defense, is meaningless. I would cut there too but by much different means than a budget. Welfare programs need serious cutting along with consolidation. That is neither here nor there though. If you do not like the cuts then where or would you like to see the continued spending increases.

Of course, the questions beg what those funding levels were back in 2000. How much of this 'cutting' is simply returning to reasonable spending levels before the bush years catapulted us into insanity.

We need to cut across the board, or nearly.

It does almost seem surreal that we are talking about a budget for next year when we don't even have one for this year yet.

Anyway, yes I'll take a 10% cut in my retirement if the cuts go across the board.

I suppose that you would cut other things? And the default answer here, defense, is meaningless. I would cut there too but by much different means than a budget. Welfare programs need serious cutting along with consolidation. That is neither here nor there though. If you do not like the cuts then where or would you like to see the continued spending increases.

Of course, the questions beg what those funding levels were back in 2000. How much of this 'cutting' is simply returning to reasonable spending levels before the bush years catapulted us into insanity.

Why is saying "defense" meaningless? It's as valid as anything else.

Why is saying "defense" meaningless? It's as valid as anything else.

Because it is equally invalid as saying the department of education or any other number of broad programs that encompass so much. If you were to say the raptor project or pensions then we have something. Defense is the cop out answer because you see a big block of the budget on it.

Forum List

Back