Obama's private prayer

Chris

Gold Member
May 30, 2008
Senator Barack Obama probably thought that the prayer he penned in the solitude of his King David hotel room in Jerusalem would remain between him and the Almighty. But an Orthodox Jewish student had other ideas.

Following Jewish tradition, Obama donned a yarmulke and went to the Western Wall, Judaism's holiest site, where shortly before dawn on Thursday he stuffed his prayer into a crevass between the giant white stones, hewn over 2,000 years ago. Traditionally such prayers, and there are over a million every year, some arriving by fax and email, are collected twice a year and buried on the Mount of Olives. It is considered taboo to read the prayers.

But after Obama and his entourage left the sacred site, an orthodox seminary student went to the Wall, fished out Obama's personal note and delivered it to Maariv newspaper, which duly printed the senator's prayer.

The newspaper's decision to publish Obama's private words was "an outrage", said Rabbbi Shmuel Rabinowitz, supervisor of the Western Wall. "It damages the personal, deep part of every one of us that we keep to ourselves," the rabbi told Army Radio. "The note placed between the stones of the Western Wall are between a person and his maker. It is forbidden to read them or make use of them."

Obama didn't pray for an election victory, a lottery win to help pay for his campaign, or for his Republican rival Senator John McCain to be felled by lightning or a pecadillo. On the contrary; his prayer hints at the struggle within, how Obama is seeking divine guidance to surmount the obstacles that lie ahead of him in his lonely, awesome challenge to become the next president of the United States. On hotel stationary, he penned the following prayer, according to Maariv, which ran a photo of the note: "Lord, protect my family and me," Obama wrote. "Forgive me my sins and help me guard against pride and despair. Give me the wisdom to do what is right and just. And make me an instrument of your will."

Obama, now finishing up the European leg of his tour, has not commented on his private prayer being made public in Jerusalem.

Obama's Private Prayer 'Leaked' - TIME

From the mouth of ....

But an Orthodox Jewish student had other ideas.

I am not saying that I am an Obama supporter, because I have not made up my mind .... yet .... who I am going to vote for.

However .....

The man was saying a "prayer" ... he was not seen in a gay bar, or with a prostitute, or even flashing around a cigar that could be used for multiple purposes. :eusa_shifty:

I guess when your are running for President of the USA, you have to be on guard every second of the day, huh?

Touching, I await to see how some of you guys who do not like Bushes use of Faith as motivation react to this though.

I think it is kinda shitty of someone to leak a prayer though don't you? Then again maybe it was not a leak, maybe it was intentional :)

Touching, I await to see how some of you guys who do not like Bushes use of Faith as motivation react to this though.

I think it is kinda shitty of someone to leak a prayer though don't you? Then again maybe it was not a leak, maybe it was intentional :)

Yes, Obama is big with the orthodox jews!

LOL!!

"Lord, protect my family and me," Obama wrote. "Forgive me my sins and help me guard against pride and despair. Give me the wisdom to do what is right and just. And make me an instrument of your will."

AMEN, brother. AMEN.

Yup, I am betting someone paid the kid to "fish it out".

Difference between using religion to enact legislation and having faith... I'm sure you know that.

No one should have taken the prayer out of the wall. But I think we know how Time got it.

Difference between using religion to enact legislation and having faith... I'm sure you know that.

No one should have taken the prayer out of the wall. But I think we know how Time got it.

Ya Obama's people paid someone to take it and deliver it to the news. Just as likely as any other case.

jillian, what do you think will happen to the boy who did this? Isn't it against the jewish law to do something like this?

Yes, it is easy to pay off orthodox jews.

LOL!!!

Hmmmn .... let's think about this. Now who would pay off a nice little Jewish boy to slam an ex-opponent?

images

It could happen, ya know. The Clinton's do have a reputation of getting back at people. :eusa_whistle:

Forum List

Back