Obama’s pledge of US troops to Sinai next week won Israel’s nod for ceasefire

Wehrwolfen

May 22, 2012
Obama’s pledge of US troops to Sinai next week won Israel’s nod for ceasefire​

November 23, 2012

Israeli Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu agreed to a ceasefire for halting the eight-day Israeli Gaza operation Wednesday night, Nov. 21, after President Barack Obama personally pledged to start deploying US troops in Egyptian Sinai next week, DEBKAfile reports. The conversation, which finally tipped the scales for a ceasefire, took place on a secure line Wednesday morning, just hours before it was announced in Cairo.

Clinton was sympathetic to this argument. Soon after, President Obama was on the phone to Netanyahu with an assurance that US troops would be in place in Sinai next week, after he had obtained President Morsi’s consent for them to go into immediate action against Iranian smuggling networks. Netanyahu responded by agreeing to a ceasefire being announced in Cairo that night by Clinton and the Egyptian foreign minister, and to holding back the thousands of Israeli reservists on standby on the Gaza border. DEBKAfile’s military sources report that the first air transports carrying US special forces are due to land at Sharm el Sheikh military airfield in southern Sinai in the next 48 hours and go into action against the arms smugglers without delay.

[excerpt]

Read more:
Obama

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7TzsxyoHHA]U.S. Training Congo Troops Accused of Abuses - YouTube[/ame]

U.S. Training Congo Troops Accused of Abuses

I hate seeing our troops involved....only as a last resort to keep Israel safe.

Israel was doing just fine, so let em have at it. The cease fire is to protect the aggressors from being pummeled by Israel.

I don't trust him on this. I'm afraid the Muslim Brotherhood will not protect our troops. They have their own agenda and are not our allies. They want Israel destroyed as much as any of the other radicals, so this is a stupid, stupid move.

How does one say, "Thank you for your service to our country," in Hebrew?

And I wonder how surviving relatives of the 34 American sailors who were murdered by the IDF in the attack on the USS Liberty feel about sending U.S. troops to defend Israel.

The question I have is, Why?

Israel was doing just fine, so let em have at it. The cease fire is to protect the aggressors from being pummeled by Israel.

I don't trust him on this. I'm afraid the Muslim Brotherhood will not protect our troops. They have their own agenda and are not our allies. They want Israel destroyed as much as any of the other radicals, so this is a stupid, stupid move.

Good points. Also....with the insane rules of engagement they put on our troops they'll be like sitting ducks. It would have to be an absolute last resort that if we dont, Israel 's going down.

I need to hear from a better source than DEBKA, which seems to be the source of the stories claiming US troops promised in Sinai.

Obama’s pledge of US troops to Sinai next week won Israel’s nod for ceasefire​

November 23, 2012

Israeli Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu agreed to a ceasefire for halting the eight-day Israeli Gaza operation Wednesday night, Nov. 21, after President Barack Obama personally pledged to start deploying US troops in Egyptian Sinai next week, DEBKAfile reports. The conversation, which finally tipped the scales for a ceasefire, took place on a secure line Wednesday morning, just hours before it was announced in Cairo.

Clinton was sympathetic to this argument. Soon after, President Obama was on the phone to Netanyahu with an assurance that US troops would be in place in Sinai next week, after he had obtained President Morsi’s consent for them to go into immediate action against Iranian smuggling networks. Netanyahu responded by agreeing to a ceasefire being announced in Cairo that night by Clinton and the Egyptian foreign minister, and to holding back the thousands of Israeli reservists on standby on the Gaza border. DEBKAfile’s military sources report that the first air transports carrying US special forces are due to land at Sharm el Sheikh military airfield in southern Sinai in the next 48 hours and go into action against the arms smugglers without delay.

[excerpt]

Read more:
Obama

Good grief! The amount of ignorance around here is heartbreaking. :rolleyes::roll eyes:

The US has had peacekeeping forces in the Sinai since 1981. They're part of the Multinational Force and Observors (MFO) mission created as a result of the 1978 Camp David Accords which brought peace between Israel and Egypt. We've contributed an Infantry battalion and support troops continuously ever since.

You'd better look for Obama conspiracies somewhere else.

obama’s pledge of us troops to sinai next week won israel’s nod for ceasefire

no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[...]

The US has had peacekeeping forces in the Sinai since 1981. They're part of the Multinational Force and Observors (MFO) mission created as a result of the 1978 Camp David Accords which brought peace between Israel and Egypt. We've contributed an Infantry battalion and support troops continuously ever since.

[...]
This is news to me, thank you, and I try to stay abreast of such things. I'll wager I'm not alone in the dark about this. One can only wonder about the cost of maintaining an entire battalion in the Sinai since 1948. Jesus H. Christ! How does this benefit the U.S.?

While I once believed the U.S. was emulating Rome it is increasingly clear we have far exceeded Ancient Rome's arrogant militancy.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back