Obama's Plans for the New Welfare State

I have never really got why poor people are fat! I get really why they are but when I was a broke college student living with my friend it was the best diet to be on. Of course I worked and didn't recieve food stamps.
My friend actually takes care of a lady who is like these people.

Actually it's logical as to why. The price of one apple is more than a bag of chips these days, and the chips will make you feel fuller. So when they are low on funds people tend to buy more junk food, thus those who are low on funds all the time or are homeless will buy junk food all the time.

Sorry, I have to disagree. I don't believe that it is the cost at all, it's simply that chips taste better than an apple.

Terms like "poor" are misleading, since we have the richest poor people in the world in this country. The problem is more like "gratification now" than nutrition. Remember that the obesity problem goes beyound the poor.

While true on most points, many areas do have a higher cost for fresh produce than junk food, mostly because of transportation issues. Recently they discovered this was a major problem in our city, so they have been trying to drive the prices up for junk food (counter productive really as the prices for fresh food seem to go up with them) because when they looked at what people were buying with food stamps they decided to find out why. This was the answer they had gotten, one which I have found to be true. I can't stand chips very often myself, they taste funny to me after only a few, so I don't buy them very often since I wind up tossing most of even the small bags in the trash. However I did notice that my favorite foods are extremely expensive compared to these. A jar of plain pickles (ie natural ingredients) costs me $5 for a 24 oz jar (mostly water as we know). I get a deal on cucumbers at the market in the summer time at 3 for 2.50 (normally $1 each) because I can actually eat three in a sitting (nummers ... with a touch of salt they are awesome!), but during the winter they are $2 each in most stalls. But I can get a bag of candy for 50 cents if I wanted (blech).

Actually it's logical as to why. The price of one apple is more than a bag of chips these days, and the chips will make you feel fuller. So when they are low on funds people tend to buy more junk food, thus those who are low on funds all the time or are homeless will buy junk food all the time.

Sorry, I have to disagree. I don't believe that it is the cost at all, it's simply that chips taste better than an apple.

Terms like "poor" are misleading, since we have the richest poor people in the world in this country. The problem is more like "gratification now" than nutrition. Remember that the obesity problem goes beyound the poor.

While true on most points, many areas do have a higher cost for fresh produce than junk food, mostly because of transportation issues. Recently they discovered this was a major problem in our city, so they have been trying to drive the prices up for junk food (counter productive really as the prices for fresh food seem to go up with them) because when they looked at what people were buying with food stamps they decided to find out why. This was the answer they had gotten, one which I have found to be true. I can't stand chips very often myself, they taste funny to me after only a few, so I don't buy them very often since I wind up tossing most of even the small bags in the trash. However I did notice that my favorite foods are extremely expensive compared to these. A jar of plain pickles (ie natural ingredients) costs me $5 for a 24 oz jar (mostly water as we know). I get a deal on cucumbers at the market in the summer time at 3 for 2.50 (normally $1 each) because I can actually eat three in a sitting (nummers ... with a touch of salt they are awesome!), but during the winter they are $2 each in most stalls. But I can get a bag of candy for 50 cents if I wanted (blech).

I hear you about pickles. Tell you what, let's learn to 'pickle' over the summer. We'll do it together and see how they turn out. :lol:

With all the fatheads on this board, we are indeed in deep trouble. As evidenced by the million dollar incompetants at AIG, it is the very wealthy of this nation that seem to be the primary welfare recipients. Time to put them to work at something that suits their talents. We need more janitors.

Coming from a carpenter I understand your hatred of bosses
have about 60 of you myself. Just signed a contract for about 20 of you to cleanup pollution (total bullshit and a waste of taxpayer dollars but you know about green ) and paying them $60.00 per hour with full benefits and they still hate me. Your jealousy of those that have acquired wealth while you refuse to do over time or start your own business is evident. As I have told you before a college degree only gives you the right to work to achieve success it is not a guarantee

Are you under the impression that people think YOU'RE rich?

You WORK cleaning up toxic waste or something and you imagine that WE imagine that you are rich?

Man you're nothing but working stiff.

Sure am a working stiff, Obama says I'm rich and have been for many years..Long Island New York many people making over 250 a year so if you think that number makes someone rich and you want to be rich move to long island as for toxic waste its really Asbestos and no I don't clean it up I have people like you and rocks in the head do it. are you still:confused::confused::confused:

I have never really got why poor people are fat! I get really why they are but when I was a broke college student living with my friend it was the best diet to be on. Of course I worked and didn't recieve food stamps.

I know all about that theory, kind of like eating bread and water. They eat mostly carbs and bad ones at that. When I was broke and young I pretty much lived off of ramen and Tim's Cascade potota chips which they had free at my work but I only ate once a day and I couldn't even afford junk food mostly because I was supporting my weed habit at the same time.

This is true. However, you can eat healthy and cheap. I watch our food budget very closely. We eat very good on $100 per week. Of course, I actually take the time to cook and don't rely on prepared and processed foods for our meals, and I only buy what is on sale.

crap, we buy apples here all the time at $1.29 a pound, cantaloupes are two for 3 bucks, I grow my own peppers and tomatos, and we had a garden full of greens and cabbage all winter long.. Chips.. I haven't seen chips for 99 cents in 10 years. The big strawberry pick your own farm will be open in another month.. green beans,, you can grow tons of them in the garden too.. y'll need to watch meeecheellle she will show ya how to garden.

Poor people are fat because it is a misnomer that they are poor... Even those inflicted with severe medical conditions that cause their body to store massive quanities in fat reserves don't get fat when they DON'T EAT.

The whole thing is a lie... all of leftism, every WORD of it is a complete and total MYTH.

If you want to see what being poor does to the wasteline... go find a Sally Strothers infomercial for Feed the children as she waddles across the Sudan... those people with the extended bellies pushing their exposed rib cages out, who are walking on tendon wrapped bone... THAT'S WHAT "POOR" looks like. the 300 lb Mexican kid in El Paso, whose mother work's down at the Waffle House, drives a 15 year old Chevy, living in a three bedroom house with at least a Swamp Cooler on it, a microwave, flat panel TV and an X-Box... is what "poor" looks like in the West...

Last edited:
crap, we buy apples here all the time at $1.29 a pound, cantaloupes are two for 3 bucks, I grow my own peppers and tomatos, and we had a garden full of greens and cabbage all winter long.. Chips.. I haven't seen chips for 99 cents in 10 years. The big strawberry pick your own farm will be open in another month.. green beans,, you can grow tons of them in the garden too.. y'll need to watch meeecheellle she will show ya how to garden.

Let me guess, you don't live in the inner city ... someplace suburban I am guessing ... or rural but not isolated ... where the trucks don't have to go far or through dangerous and long mountain roads ....

We get a lot off our patio potted plants (kumquats at the mo) but it is the climate that lets us do that, not the country.

ANYWHERE in the northeast, especially as far north as I am, the Apple or Orange or Pear is more expensive than the chips.

I saw this in Bozeman, Montana. Here in Portland, fruit is fairly inexpensive compared to much of the country. Another point is the habit of all too many of frying everything. Grease up the yingyang.

I hear you about pickles. Tell you what, let's learn to 'pickle' over the summer. We'll do it together and see how they turn out. :lol:

LOL. When I was a child, we put up dill, grew our own dill, also, bread and butter, and sweet pickles in 1 gallon jars. Several jars of each, there were eight of us. It is a standard family joke that we were so poor we had an excellant diet. Mom always grew a huge garden, and Dad would bring home game constantly. We canned everything, apples, pears, and and every other fruit we could find. Including choke cherries and elderberries. We also canned venison. We had a good diet.

Coming from a carpenter I understand your hatred of bosses
have about 60 of you myself. Just signed a contract for about 20 of you to cleanup pollution (total bullshit and a waste of taxpayer dollars but you know about green ) and paying them $60.00 per hour with full benefits and they still hate me. Your jealousy of those that have acquired wealth while you refuse to do over time or start your own business is evident. As I have told you before a college degree only gives you the right to work to achieve success it is not a guarantee

You WORK cleaning up toxic waste or something and you imagine that WE imagine that you are rich?

Sure am a working stiff, Obama says I'm rich and have been for many years..Long Island New York many people making over 250 a year so if you think that number makes someone rich and you want to be rich move to long island as for toxic waste its really Asbestos and no I don't clean it up I have people like you and rocks in the head do it. are you still:confused::confused::confused:

No, you do not have people like me do it. As for your being 'rich', whatever turns you on.

It is people like you that made unions a neccessity. From your posts I picture you as an arrogant and ignorant bastard with only dollar signs for morals or ethics.

LOL. When I was a child, we put up dill, grew our own dill, also, bread and butter, and sweet pickles in 1 gallon jars. Several jars of each, there were eight of us. It is a standard family joke that we were so poor we had an excellant diet. Mom always grew a huge garden, and Dad would bring home game constantly. We canned everything, apples, pears, and and every other fruit we could find. Including choke cherries and elderberries. We also canned venison. We had a good diet.
So you going to share? Me, I like Dill. Especially Kosher Dills. Nothing like Garlic! Mmmmm

So you going to share? Me, I like Dill. Especially Kosher Dills. Nothing like Garlic! Mmmmm

I love dill to, but I don't have room for a garden where I live, the problem with our population growing so much, we are running out of room. Where I grew up we had room for a garden until forced to sell most of the property to some gentrified housing shit ... at least their yards were still smaller than ours, but we no longer had room to garden. It annoyed my father to no end.

No, you do not have people like me do it. As for your being 'rich', whatever turns you on.

It is people like you that made unions a neccessity. From your posts I picture you as an arrogant and ignorant bastard with only dollar signs for morals or ethics.

Unions yea there for the workers alright,another thing you know nothing about but what some book tells you, my company is a union shop and the checks that go to the union is very close to the same amounts that the workers get and for those millions the workers get health care and a modest pension. After 30 years or age 65 they get only a percentage of what they have paid in and top people who make near six figures wind up with about $1,700.00 per month. SO WHAT HAPPENS TO THE REST. Unions use there pension fund money to private invest in various different projects and do not share any profits with the members what a fuckin joke. Where do you think Obama's campaign money came from as well as Pelosi Reid Dodd and the like. Unions were great in the 30's but today they are just a bunch of greedy officials that suck the companies dry under the theory that they are doing good for the workers.
Just look at Detroit there big into Unions and it is a disgrace what has happened to that city,probably the closest place in the USA that is like a third world country.
As you have so kindly said that people that do not have a higher education always pick on those that do,I submit that people who can not financially prosper say those that do are unethical and immoral. Truth is there to lazy,and Jealous (there are exceptions so if someone is trying to achieve my advice do not listen to jealous fools and never give up)

New Topics

Forum List

Back