Navy1960

Sep 4, 2008
Arizona
Enact a Windfall Profits Tax to Provide a $1,000 Emergency Energy Rebate to
American Families:Barack Obama will enact a windfall profits tax on excessive
oil company profits to give American families an immediate $1,000 emergency
energy rebate to help families pay rising bills. This relief would be a down
payment on Obama's long-term plan to provide middle-class families
with at least $1,000 per year in permanent tax relief (Obama Plan for America 08)

Impact: Wonderful we all get a 1000.00, thats great, but it brings to mind two things, one is do you think with gas at 4.00 a gallon or even 3.00 a gallon if I am Exxon or BP or whomever, I'm just going to say why yes Mr. President here is your 50 billion, and why no Mr President I won't pass that along to the consumer? If you do then your not living
in this country. That windfall tax will pass directly to the consumer, the impact will be to raise the cost of fuel, and impact the cost of transportation, food etc. all in the name of the 1000.00 a year give away. Second, someone actully did this in the US , but instead
of taxing the oil companies they used the tax collected by the state on gas and oil to pass back to the consumer, I wonder who that was? Oh yes Sarah Palin the gov. of Alaska

Item II.

Amend the North American Free Trade Agreement: Obama believes that NAFTA and its potential were oversold to the American people. Obama will work with the leaders of Canada and Mexico to fix NAFTA so that it works for American workers.

Impact: Wonderful idea for us don't you think? especially for the two countries that one proveds us with a very large percentage of our Oil (canada) and the other country where we now import a lot of cheap manufacturing from. Let me see, Do you think prices will
rise in such a case? Do you think that Canada and Mexico will just say , why yes President Obama your right and we are wrong? If we opt out of NAFTA , do you think our economy will instantly be able to absorb the impact of the price increases the import and export tarrifs and taxes will bring?
Not to mention the cost of energy.

Item III.

Invest In A Clean Energy Economy And Create 5 Million New Green Jobs: Obama will invest $150 billion over 10 years to advance the next generation of biofuels and fuel infrastructure, accelerate the commercialization of plug-in hybrids, promote development of commercial scale renewable energy, invest in low emissions coal plants, and begin transition to a new digital electricity grid. The plan will also invest in America's highly-skilled manufacturing workforce and manufacturing centers to ensure that American workers have the skills and tools they need to pioneer the first wave of
green technologies that will be in high demand throughout the world.

Impact: Wonderful idea, except with plenty of holes, Do you know who one of the worlds largest producers of Solar Arrays is? Why yes that would be "Sharp Electronics" and why yes they would be a Japanese company. Do you know who the worlds largest producer of hybrid engine and battery technology is? Why yes thats Toyota another Japanese
company. So much for the 5 million green jobs. However, This coutry can use it's resources that we have, wind, coal, and dare I say nuclear , as well as our own oil and gas to become engergy independant in a clean environmental way. The problem is the environmental lobby which owns the democratic party , blocks and stands in the way of US production of energy to the detriment of us all. Let me cite you an example, "The Arkansas Water reclaimation and engergy project" This project was fully funded but has been on hold for 5 years want to know why? to look for a woodpecker that has not been seen in 70 years, because one environmentalist
filed a complaint with the EPA. Take nuclear for example, no plants in over 20 years, even though the US Navy has safely operated without injury or death nuclear reactors for over 40 years. You want
clean jobs thats the path.

So in short,it's the same old pandering as I have said earlier, scare the seniors, take from the wealthy who by the way pay 90% of the taxes in this country anyway, and provide most of the jobs as well and give to the poor, and let's have the govt provide all of our needs for us
if we want it or not. It's the same old democratic party line thats been peddled year after year after year since 1968. It didn't work for Stalin and will not work here.

OK, it took some time for corporations to implement NAFTA to work for their profits. If NAFTA has driven US jobs out of country, then who is responsible for our lost jobs?

crickets....where's a good lib troll when you need one?

im waiting for kirk to come in and say "i'm your huckleberry"

but seriously, many of those "points" were stupid. why does the largest manufacturer of solar panels not being an american company matter? i thought the point of investing was to build up our own industries?

and obama didnt say he would instantly change nafta to destroy imports from canada or mexico. he wasnt specific how he would modify it, but you cant just assume the worst.

and often the environmentalists go way too far

Allie they are all debating me on that all important issue of "Heart" using the song at the convention. That's a really good question Americano, if you asked the DNC they only have on answer and it's the same answer for everything "George Bush". However, I like to think it has to do with over-regulation, not allowing the US economy to grow fast enough to compete with the world economy and forcing companies to ship jobs oversea's to compete. Give you and example, The EPA. , when you get a chance take a look at the number of regualtions it takes to set up . let's say a feed processing plant here. The you will know why a company goes to say Mexico to do it.

Allie, here's the deal, touting " x millions of green jobs" in the energy sector" I used the Solar panel thing as an exmaple to show that those green jobs he is touting are already offshore, and the number he wishes to create are not so high as he wants them to be.

I used the Solar panel thing as an exmaple to show that those green jobs he is touting are already offshore, and the number he wishes to create are not so high as he wants them to be.

again, the purpose of us investing would be to build up our own industries and create jobs. just because there is another company that makes more than ours doesnt mean we have to buy from them.
i doubt theyll be as many jobs as obama is predicting, though

IMO, when jobs are leaving the country for any reason (ie. cost of business abroad, strong dollar, name it) do you blame administration that caused it or one that happen to be in the office? Try to imagine what our economy and (un)employment would look like today if dollar is as strong as it was 5 years ago.

Well for me, I am not one of those thats going to sit here and tell you what a great job on the economy George Bush has done, however, as far as the job loss goes, I don't think that as long as the number of regualtions are in place the number of US Jobs , expecially in the manufacturing sector will increase to the point where it was when the Unions were full with membership. I honestle believe that each administration has played a role in the demise of US jobs and the shifting of them oversea's.

Obama's top three priorities are getting out of Iraq, universal healthcare, and American energy independence.

Getting out of Iraq will save us $200 billion dollars a year.

Universal healthcare will save us an additional $200 billion dollars a year.

American energy independence is the most important security issue facing us today. Way more important than "terrorism."

Obama has his eye on the ball, and he is not beholden to the big oil companies like John McCain is.

Universal healthcare will save us an additional $200 billion dollars a year.

Those are predictions. If you take example from any country that has universal healthcare, you would notice that numbers Obama handed on the plate are not right. Universal healthcare is a hole without bottom, just as Social Security was at the begining (2%) and it's been increased with every administration, with benefits decreased as well. Once government gets on your payroll, they tend to stay there and take more. With their record of taxing and spending, I am not buying what they are selling. Of course they wants us to believe that they will save us money, but give it few years, bottleneck of that black hole will get wider. You dont have to trust me, but you can ask our northern neighbours.

Kirk

Have you taken the time to consider what Obama's Healthcare plan would do to the medical industry as a whole in the country? Do you think a "for profit" hospital or surgical center , or research center, will just up and start accepting the money Obama's plan gives them? I don't think they have calculated the impact of this , and let me ask you? what good is healthcare for ALL when, there is no where to get it?

Ame®icano;768371 said:
Those are predictions. If you take example from any country that has universal healthcare, you would notice that numbers Obama handed on the plate are not right. Universal healthcare is a hole without bottom, just as Social Security was at the begining (2%) and it's been increased with every administration, with benefits decreased as well. Once government gets on your payroll, they tend to stay there and take more. With their record of taxing and spending, I am not buying what they are selling. Of course they wants us to believe that they will save us money, but give it few years, bottleneck of that black hole will get wider. You dont have to trust me, but you can ask our northern neighbours.

Bogus post.

Every other Western democracy in the world has universal healthcare, and they pay HALF per capita what we pay for healthcare. Why? Because a single payer system has inherent cost savings.

Kirk

Have you taken the time to consider what Obama's Healthcare plan would do to the medical industry as a whole in the country? Do you think a "for profit" hospital or surgical center , or research center, will just up and start accepting the money Obama's plan gives them? I don't think they have calculated the impact of this , and let me ask you? what good is healthcare for ALL when, there is no where to get it?

Please read this link....

Mythbusting Canadian Health Care -- Part I | OurFuture.org

Bogus post.

Every other Western democracy in the world has universal healthcare, and they pay HALF per capita what we pay for healthcare. Why? Because a single payer system has inherent cost savings.

and all those health care plans are failing. i can't see why you would even begin to consider universal health care.

Forum List

Back