Obama's Pastor Problem

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Gunny, May 3, 2008.

1. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    Word.

2. William Joyce

William Joyce Chemotherapy for PC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,349
    If a white person tried to "excuse" his or her "racist" parent, it would be rejected.

Why can't we reject Obama's explanation?

Because he's black.

Blacks are the new gods to be worshipped.

Those who bow down, rise.

Those who refuse, are crushed.

Unless enough whites refuse.

3. cbi0090

cbi0090 Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +46
    In a certain sense, I am sympathetic toward Obama. When he said of Wright, "Because of his life experience, [he] continues to have a lot of anger and frustration, and will express that in ways that are very different from me and my generation," anyone who knows anything about the black experience in America has to nod.

I don't buy this. My generation certainly didn't hang in there with our parents over the issues of racism so why does his generation. I can't even recall all of the many dinner time arguements and blow-ups that occurred in my house during the early years of the civil rights movement, or how many times I got dis-owned by my father or grand parents over the issue. Hell, we marched right out of our homes and just made it different and a lot did change.
    I find this entire issue insulting. Who the hell do they think they are talking to?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. Contessa_Sharra

Contessa_Sharra Searcher for Accuracy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +147
    Very naive statement, as there is still evident and very pervasive racism in this country.

As for why the second part of your statement, the Rev. Dr. Wright is not living vicariously through his parents experiences, he is living through his own.

Anyone who doubts that racism exists should just review Hillary and Bill's recent behavior. Truth did out. They at least can be seen for the racists that they are, and finally, people can get how patronising it was for him to attempt to cover himself with that "America's first black president" tag. It wasn't true, and now they are outed.

Whites passively benefit, every day, from the racism. It is to be expected that they don't want to give that up. By refusing to see it, and see that others have a different reality, they deny that all Americans should be treated equally.

5. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    Nothing naive about the statement. Racial discrimination is against the law. Period.

The difference was made by those who acted and the laws were changed.

Though we try, you cannot believe in freedom of expression then turn around and legislate against "hate." Racists will exist, law or no law. Their beliefs however have no legal voice.

Sure racism exists. It doesn't exist at each and every turn as you would have us believe. YOU, and people like you perpetuate racism every bit as much as the hatingest hater running around in his bedsheets. YOU give credence to their beliefs by keeping them on Page One, and by tossing the race card at the drop of hat over ever imagined slight.

Calling Clinton racist is absurd. He's an opportunistic politician. He'd go after Obama for whatever he could if he was as lily-white as Bob Dole. Oh wait ... he ALREADY did that.

Flipside of the coin, don't EVEN try to say Obama has not and is not benefitting becaause he is black. How much excitement and drama has the media drummed up over the potential for "America's first black President?"

When the word "black" preceeds "President," the play on race is there. And there's something wrong with THAT.

6. Contessa_Sharra

Contessa_Sharra Searcher for Accuracy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +147
    I have been thinking about this, and I go to church nearly every Sunday most of the time, and usually during the sermon I am reading ahead, or reading someplace else in the bible, and not paying attention to what the preacher is saying, except in a very general way.

7. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,918
    Your defense gets weaker and weaker.

8. Larkinn

Larkinn Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +175
    Umm, no its not. I am free to go on the street and call a black guy a ****** all I want. I am free not to associate with blacks because I think they are inferior, etc, etc.

Regardless, that something is against the law doesn't make it disappear.

Whether they have a legal voice or not, they permeate our society in both obvious and non-obvious ways.

Their beliefs are there and affect society, whether credence is given to them or not. What, you think if we all cover our ears and sing really loudly the institutional racism in this country will just disappear all on its own?

And how many attacks have been pointed at him because he as black? How many ads have been run where they darkened Obama? How many have targeted his black church? How many have tried to paint him as Muslim?

His race is hurting him a hell of a lot more than its helping him.

Yeah, there is. But theres no racism in America, not at all. :rolleyes:

9. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,918
    When people like you give a free pass to racism as long as the racist is not white, we have a problem.

10. Larkinn

Larkinn Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +175
    You are an idiot.

Guess which racism is worse. The racism that the powerful people have, or the racism that the powerless people have. Guess which one has more of an effect on society?

Gee...I wonder :rolleyes:

I don't have to worry about racism from blacks. Know why? Its unlikely one will ever be my landlord. Its unlikely one will ever be my boss. Its unlikely one will ever have a position of power over me. Is it true the other way around? Hell no.