Obama's Pastor Problem

Gunny

Gold Member
Dec 27, 2004
The Republic of Texas
By Richard Cohen
Tuesday, March 18, 2008; Page A19

Some questions: Why did Barack Obama take so long to "reject outright" the harshly critical statements about America made by his minister, Jeremiah Wright, not to mention the praise the same minister lavished on Louis Farrakhan just last November?

How is it possible that Obama did not know about these remarks, when he is a member of Wright's congregation and so close to the man that he likens him to "an old uncle"?

How is it possible that a campaign apparatus that sniffed out Geraldine Ferraro's offensive statement to a local California newspaper (the Daily Breeze, 12th paragraph) did not know that Wright's statements condemning America were all over the Internet and had been cited March 6 by the (reputable) anti-Obama columnist Ronald Kessler? The sermon was also available on YouTube.

In other words, how is it possible that a man who has made judgment the centerpiece of his presidential campaign has shown so little of it in this matter?

One possible answer to these questions is that Obama has learned to rely on a sycophantic media that hears any criticism of him as either (1) racist, (2) vaguely racist or (3) doing the bidding of Hillary and Bill Clinton. You only have to turn your attention to the interview Obama granted MSNBC's fawning Keith Olbermann for an example. Obama was asked whether he had known that Wright had suggested substituting the phrase "God damn America" for "God bless America."

"You know, frankly, I didn't," Obama said. "I wasn't in church during the time when the statements were made."

But had you heard about them? Did your crack campaign staff alert you? And what about Wright's honoring Farrakhan? Had you heard about that? Did you feel any obligation to denounce those remarks -- not Farrakhan's, as you had done, but those of Wright himself? Don't you consider yourself a public figure whom others look to for leadership? Do you think you failed them here?

Olbermann asked none of those questions.

In a certain sense, I am sympathetic toward Obama. When he said of Wright, "Because of his life experience, [he] continues to have a lot of anger and frustration, and will express that in ways that are very different from me and my generation," anyone who knows anything about the black experience in America has to nod.

more ... http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/03/17/AR2008031702153.html

Word.

If a white person tried to "excuse" his or her "racist" parent, it would be rejected.

Why can't we reject Obama's explanation?

Because he's black.

Blacks are the new gods to be worshipped.

Those who bow down, rise.

Those who refuse, are crushed.

Unless enough whites refuse.

In a certain sense, I am sympathetic toward Obama. When he said of Wright, "Because of his life experience, [he] continues to have a lot of anger and frustration, and will express that in ways that are very different from me and my generation," anyone who knows anything about the black experience in America has to nod.

I don't buy this. My generation certainly didn't hang in there with our parents over the issues of racism so why does his generation. I can't even recall all of the many dinner time arguements and blow-ups that occurred in my house during the early years of the civil rights movement, or how many times I got dis-owned by my father or grand parents over the issue. Hell, we marched right out of our homes and just made it different and a lot did change.
I find this entire issue insulting. Who the hell do they think they are talking to?

My generation certainly didn't hang in there with our parents over the issues of racism so why does his generation.

Very naive statement, as there is still evident and very pervasive racism in this country.

As for why the second part of your statement, the Rev. Dr. Wright is not living vicariously through his parents experiences, he is living through his own.

Anyone who doubts that racism exists should just review Hillary and Bill's recent behavior. Truth did out. They at least can be seen for the racists that they are, and finally, people can get how patronising it was for him to attempt to cover himself with that "America's first black president" tag. It wasn't true, and now they are outed.

Whites passively benefit, every day, from the racism. It is to be expected that they don't want to give that up. By refusing to see it, and see that others have a different reality, they deny that all Americans should be treated equally.

Very naive statement, as there is still evident and very pervasive racism in this country.

As for why the second part of your statement, the Rev. Dr. Wright is not living vicariously through his parents experiences, he is living through his own.

Anyone who doubts that racism exists should just review Hillary and Bill's recent behavior. Truth did out. They at least can be seen for the racists that they are, and finally, people can get how patronising it was for him to attempt to cover himself with that "America's first black president" tag. It wasn't true, and now they are outed.

Whites passively benefit, every day, from the racism. It is to be expected that they don't want to give that up. By refusing to see it, and see that others have a different reality, they deny that all Americans should be treated equally.

Nothing naive about the statement. Racial discrimination is against the law. Period.

The difference was made by those who acted and the laws were changed.

Though we try, you cannot believe in freedom of expression then turn around and legislate against "hate." Racists will exist, law or no law. Their beliefs however have no legal voice.

Sure racism exists. It doesn't exist at each and every turn as you would have us believe. YOU, and people like you perpetuate racism every bit as much as the hatingest hater running around in his bedsheets. YOU give credence to their beliefs by keeping them on Page One, and by tossing the race card at the drop of hat over ever imagined slight.

Calling Clinton racist is absurd. He's an opportunistic politician. He'd go after Obama for whatever he could if he was as lily-white as Bob Dole. Oh wait ... he ALREADY did that.

Flipside of the coin, don't EVEN try to say Obama has not and is not benefitting becaause he is black. How much excitement and drama has the media drummed up over the potential for "America's first black President?"

When the word "black" preceeds "President," the play on race is there. And there's something wrong with THAT.

I have been thinking about this, and I go to church nearly every Sunday most of the time, and usually during the sermon I am reading ahead, or reading someplace else in the bible, and not paying attention to what the preacher is saying, except in a very general way.

I have been thinking about this, and I go to church nearly every Sunday most of the time, and usually during the sermon I am reading ahead, or reading someplace else in the bible, and not paying attention to what the preacher is saying, except in a very general way.

Your defense gets weaker and weaker.

Nothing naive about the statement. Racial discrimination is against the law. Period.

Umm, no its not. I am free to go on the street and call a black guy a ****** all I want. I am free not to associate with blacks because I think they are inferior, etc, etc.

Regardless, that something is against the law doesn't make it disappear.

Though we try, you cannot believe in freedom of expression then turn around and legislate against "hate." Racists will exist, law or no law. Their beliefs however have no legal voice.

Whether they have a legal voice or not, they permeate our society in both obvious and non-obvious ways.

Sure racism exists. It doesn't exist at each and every turn as you would have us believe. YOU, and people like you perpetuate racism every bit as much as the hatingest hater running around in his bedsheets. YOU give credence to their beliefs by keeping them on Page One, and by tossing the race card at the drop of hat over ever imagined slight.

Their beliefs are there and affect society, whether credence is given to them or not. What, you think if we all cover our ears and sing really loudly the institutional racism in this country will just disappear all on its own?

Flipside of the coin, don't EVEN try to say Obama has not and is not benefitting becaause he is black. How much excitement and drama has the media drummed up over the potential for "America's first black President?"

And how many attacks have been pointed at him because he as black? How many ads have been run where they darkened Obama? How many have targeted his black church? How many have tried to paint him as Muslim?

His race is hurting him a hell of a lot more than its helping him.

When the word "black" preceeds "President," the play on race is there. And there's something wrong with THAT.

Yeah, there is. But theres no racism in America, not at all. :rolleyes:

Umm, no its not. I am free to go on the street and call a black guy a ****** all I want. I am free not to associate with blacks because I think they are inferior, etc, etc.

Regardless, that something is against the law doesn't make it disappear.

Whether they have a legal voice or not, they permeate our society in both obvious and non-obvious ways.

Their beliefs are there and affect society, whether credence is given to them or not. What, you think if we all cover our ears and sing really loudly the institutional racism in this country will just disappear all on its own?

And how many attacks have been pointed at him because he as black? How many ads have been run where they darkened Obama? How many have targeted his black church? How many have tried to paint him as Muslim?

His race is hurting him a hell of a lot more than its helping him.

Yeah, there is. But theres no racism in America, not at all. :rolleyes:

When people like you give a free pass to racism as long as the racist is not white, we have a problem.

When people like you give a free pass to racism as long as the racist is not white, we have a problem.

You are an idiot.

Guess which racism is worse. The racism that the powerful people have, or the racism that the powerless people have. Guess which one has more of an effect on society?

Gee...I wonder :rolleyes:

I don't have to worry about racism from blacks. Know why? Its unlikely one will ever be my landlord. Its unlikely one will ever be my boss. Its unlikely one will ever have a position of power over me. Is it true the other way around? Hell no.

You are an idiot.

Guess which racism is worse. The racism that the powerful people have, or the racism that the powerless people have. Guess which one has more of an effect on society?

Gee...I wonder :rolleyes:

I don't have to worry about racism from blacks. Know why? Its unlikely one will ever be my landlord. Its unlikely one will ever be my boss. Its unlikely one will ever have a position of power over me. Is it true the other way around? Hell no.

Yup, till we have a racist Black President. Further your claim that Blacks do not have those positions is a bald faced lie, all your admitting is you would never work for one or live near one. And we all know why.

Yup, till we have a racist Black President.

Ah what a terribly appealing trait. Guilt by association. Fabulous.

Further your claim that Blacks do not have those positions is a bald faced lie, all your admitting is you would never work for one or live near one. And we all know why.

Your right. My calling America racist is just me trying to cover the fact that only I'm racist. :rolleyes:

Where do you get this bullshit from? I never said that blacks "don't have those positions". I said it is unlikely they will ever have that position over me. Why? Because 99/100 its NOT someone black.

Ah what a terribly appealing trait. Guilt by association. Fabulous.

Your right. My calling America racist is just me trying to cover the fact that only I'm racist. :rolleyes:

Where do you get this bullshit from? I never said that blacks "don't have those positions". I said it is unlikely they will ever have that position over me. Why? Because 99/100 its NOT someone black.

Proved statistics to prove your assertion. And I do not mean CEO's I mean every layer of management, business owner, Lawyer , Land Owner, Apartment Manager, etc etc etc.

What you really mean is your lily white ass won't be caught dead anywhere where some black person might actually be your boss or own your apartment.

Proved statistics to prove your assertion. And I do not mean CEO's I mean every layer of management, business owner, Lawyer , Land Owner, Apartment Manager, etc etc etc.

Edit:

I don't have too.

If you don't give me cites, I'm sure not going to waste my time finding cites for you.

What you really mean is your lily white ass won't be caught dead anywhere where some black person might actually be your boss or own your apartment.

Yes...I hate blacks...which is why I'm complaining about the fact that they have no positions of power in this country.

Do you try to be this stupid? Because it seems like it would be pretty difficult without actually trying.

Edit:

I don't have too.

If you don't give me cites, I'm sure not going to waste my time finding cites for you.

Yes...I hate blacks...which is why I'm complaining about the fact that they have no positions of power in this country.

Do you try to be this stupid? Because it seems like it would be pretty difficult without actually trying.

Typical arrogant Liberal. Play your games all you want. You and I both know you are wrong. Oh wait, is this another one of those times you don't really believe what you are saying?

Typical arrogant Liberal. Play your games all you want. You and I both know you are wrong. Oh wait, is this another one of those times you don't really believe what you are saying?

Arrogant because when you asked for a cite I said "I don't have too"?

I was copying you, dumbshit.

Blacks have no position of power in this country? Are you both blind and brainless? Open your eyes and you can see blacks working in all areas and at all levels. There is a growing black middle class who have made it through their own hard work and efforts. However there are many blacks who opt to whine instead of work. They blame whitey for their problems even though white people in general are not holding them back. Leaders of this group include the likes of Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, and Jeremiah Wright who use racial issues for their own personal gain and recognition. These guys keep racism alive and should be spurned by blacks. Obama (finally) was smart enough to do so (even if only for his own political aspirations) or do you think Obama was just shining you on?

(Note: There are also whites who whine instead of work. And they also have leaders who use them for their own personal gain. They are called Democrats who push "poverty" issues.)

And then there are those favored few who whine AND work!
While my current employment doesn't give me much of an outlet (or reason) for this, I used to number among that crowd....

Blacks have no position of power in this country? Are you both blind and brainless? Open your eyes and you can see blacks working in all areas and at all levels.

Not quite, no. Look at upper management. CEO's. Congress. President.

There is a growing black middle class who have made it through their own hard work and efforts.

Yes there are. It is however, NOT representative of the general population.

That's because the general population is still mired in poverty. In a couple of generations, when they are able to claw their way up, as Hungarian, Irish, English, and other populations who came here poor and started at the bottom rungs, they will be represented in accordance with their numbers.

It's idiotic to expect them to be at the top when they were at the very, very bottom only 2 generations ago. It takes time for any population to move up. American Indians aren't represented as their population dictates, either, but they are moving up as each generation improves its situation.

Forum List

Back