Obama's Nobel Peace Prize, a poll. Does he deserve the prize?

Did Obama deserve the Nobel?

• Total voters
Yeah, but they didn't have the PR machine that Obama did!

I haven't seen anything indicating that Obama pursued the NPP in any way. I haven't even seen anything indicating he feels deserving of it. Have you? So perhaps it's not fair to say things like that.

in fact, i believe he called the award a "call to action"...not a reward FOR accomplishment.

just sayin'

I wasn't clear. Sorry. I had mentioned in another post on another thread what I am referencing here...

I wasn't referring to him pursuing the award. I was referring to his PR machine in seeking election as POTUS. The PR machine that captured the imagination (dare I say hope?) of the entire world.

I wasn't clear. Sorry. I had mentioned in another post on another thread what I am referencing here...

I wasn't referring to him pursuing the award. I was referring to his PR machine in seeking election as POTUS. The PR machine that captured the imagination (dare I say hope?) of the entire world.

ah...ok. I hadn't seen your reference point.

There is no question that Obama ran a brilliant presidential campaign. But part of the reason that the "entire world" responded to him had nothing to to with his campaign. It had more to do with the contrast between him and his predecessor. They are relieved that Bush is out. Peggy Noonan actually wrote a great article on this subject. I don't agree with a lot of what she said, but she raises some interesting points.

There is no question that Obama ran a brilliant presidential campaign.

Absolutely. And part of that was the non-traditional imagery, logo's and soundbites.

Although I am hesitant to point out that Bush started that in '04....

Absolutely. And part of that was the non-traditional imagery, logo's and soundbites.

Although I am hesitant to point out that Bush started that in '04....

True.

And I don't think you'll ever hear me say Karl Rove isn't a genius.... he's evil...but he's definitely brilliant.

But if you go back a few years earlier... you might remember a video played at the dem convention called "A Man From Hope"... was pretty savvy politics, too.

There is no question that Obama ran a brilliant presidential campaign. But part of the reason that the "entire world" responded to him had nothing to to with his campaign. It had more to do with the contrast between him and his predecessor. They are relieved that Bush is out. Peggy Noonan actually wrote a great article on this subject. I don't agree with a lot of what she said, but she raises some interesting points.

If being "better than Bush" is the grounds upon which they selected the Nobel Peace Prize winner, according to liberals there would be around a billion candidates. How is Obama somehow better than all the rest ?

If being "better than Bush" is the grounds upon which they selected the Nobel Peace Prize winner, according to liberals there would be around a billion candidates. How is Obama somehow better than all the rest ?

Because Obama happens to be president now and they like him. *shrug*

Since when does the Peace Prize HAVE to be awarded to a president and being likable now qualifies you for the Nobel Peace prize ?
I think the issue has been bantered around enough to prove that another symbol of something that was once thought to have some significance is now merely a piece of shit handed out by a few Norwegians who like someone better than someone else.

We will have the bar of excellence set so low that a drunk can fall over it.

Meet the People Who Were Passed Over for Obama

Sima Samar, women's rights activist in Afghanistan: "With dogged persistence and at great personal risk, she kept her schools and clinics open in Afghanistan even during the most repressive days of the Taliban regime, whose laws prohibited the education of girls past the age of eight. When the Taliban fell, Samar returned to Kabul and accepted the post of Minister for Women's Affairs."

Ingrid Betancourt: French-Colombian ex-hostage held for six years.

"Dr. Denis Mukwege: Doctor, founder and head of Panzi Hospital in Bukavu, Democratic Republic of Congo. He has dedicated his life to helping Congolese women and girls who are victims of gang rape and brutal sexual violence."

Handicap International and Cluster Munition Coalition: "These organizations are recognized for their consistently serious efforts to clean up cluster bombs, also known as land mines. Innocent civilians are regularly killed worldwide because the unseen bombs explode when stepped upon."

"Hu Jia, a human rights activist and an outspoken critic of the Chinese government, who was sentenced last year to a three-and-a-half-year prison term for 'inciting subversion of state power.'"

"Wei Jingsheng, who spent 17 years in Chinese prisons for urging reforms of China's communist system. He now lives in the United States."

The Weekly Standard

Great, I agree. But since when did the Weekly Standard ever give a fuck about human rights?

I don't think you've seen me say he should have gotten it. Have you? I thought we were just discussing the why's and wherefores surronding it.

I understand-----I'm just summing up your assessment of why he actually was awarded it.
He was better than Bush. It was my understanding that people thought chimpanzees could do better than Bush too. I guess it has to be awarded to a human, huh ?

The answer to this question is obviously cheesburger. The reason Obama won the peace prize is because of cheeseburger, as cheeseburger deemed it so, so all hail its blackened beef and cheesy goodness.

And if you disagree, cheeseburger shall nuke your ass.

Hmmmmmm....

Cheeseburger......

cheeseburger.jpg

Wow. Conservatives dancing in the street because the President made a bid for the Oympics for his home town and lost. Conservatives weeping, wailing, and gnashing their teeth because he was awarded the Nobel. Do any of you realize the image that you are projecting?

Wow. Conservatives dancing in the street because the President made a bid for the Oympics for his home town and lost. Conservatives weeping, wailing, and gnashing their teeth because he was awarded the Nobel. Do any of you realize the image that you are projecting?

Realism ?

Meet the People Who Were Passed Over for Obama

Sima Samar, women's rights activist in Afghanistan: "With dogged persistence and at great personal risk, she kept her schools and clinics open in Afghanistan even during the most repressive days of the Taliban regime, whose laws prohibited the education of girls past the age of eight. When the Taliban fell, Samar returned to Kabul and accepted the post of Minister for Women's Affairs."

Ingrid Betancourt: French-Colombian ex-hostage held for six years.

"Dr. Denis Mukwege: Doctor, founder and head of Panzi Hospital in Bukavu, Democratic Republic of Congo. He has dedicated his life to helping Congolese women and girls who are victims of gang rape and brutal sexual violence."

Handicap International and Cluster Munition Coalition: "These organizations are recognized for their consistently serious efforts to clean up cluster bombs, also known as land mines. Innocent civilians are regularly killed worldwide because the unseen bombs explode when stepped upon."

"Hu Jia, a human rights activist and an outspoken critic of the Chinese government, who was sentenced last year to a three-and-a-half-year prison term for 'inciting subversion of state power.'"

"Wei Jingsheng, who spent 17 years in Chinese prisons for urging reforms of China's communist system. He now lives in the United States."

The Weekly Standard
Obama should do the honorable thing and pass it over to the people who earned it.

It's all about the question. Does Obama deserve the Nobel Peace Prize? If that is the question, then clearly, the answer is no.
However, with two other Democrats being given the prize during the administration of George Bush, it's pretty obvious the Prize was actually given to the American People for voting out of office a political party, the Republicans, who did so much, during the last 8 years, to damage the country, the economy and threaten world stability. A party that bypassed US ideals to engage in kidnapping, torture and preemptive strike against a country that was no threat to us to gain access to their natural resources and for personal vendetta. The two worst reasons possible.

This award was a stunning rebuke to a political party based in fear, lies and hate. A political party that caused more damage to America than Bin Laden. The Republicans divided the nation and turned the entire world against the US. What Katrina did to New Orleans, the Republican party did to not only the US, but to the rest of the world. Their nightmare may finally be over.

NPP for 'voting out Republicans'... Hard to tell if it is better to call this bullshit or absolute joke material

Forum List

Back