Obama's New Low

A "saved" job is one that would have otherwise been lost due to downsizing or a company going under.

Considering that in late 2008, a majority of economists thought that the country was almost certainly headed for a depression-level "recession", the stock market had fallen by 6000 points, and most of the major banks seemed on the verge of collapse... only a complete madman would consider the economy we have now to be "worse" than it would have been had no-one done anything about it.

Or a radical partisan.

Vast, the definition was changed by the adminstration earlier this week. It is now defined as saved if the government supplied any money to fund the job. That means even if the job never materializes, it is still a job.

Voodoo Economics!!!!!

Actually, I think I can make this work for us. I am going to define taxes as monies I planned to give to the government regardless of whether I actually SEND the money.

Vast, the definition was changed by the adminstration earlier this week. It is now defined as saved if the government supplied any money to fund the job. That means even if the job never materializes, it is still a job.

Voodoo Economics!!!!!

Actually, I think I can make this work for us. I am going to define taxes as monies I planned to give to the government regardless of whether I actually SEND the money.

Ah, that just might work. Democrats have always counted intentions as far more important than actual results, so given they control the IRS , you might just be on to something...:clap2:

Voodoo Economics!!!!!

Ah, that just might work. Democrats have always counted intentions as far more important than actual results, so given they control the IRS , you might just be on to something...:clap2:

Just wondering; what's the tax rate on these jobs that aren't jobs? I think I could handle one of those.

Just wondering; what's the tax rate on these jobs that aren't jobs? I think I could handle one of those.

Just take the earned income credit. Sort of the same thing.

If you get one you have to register as a Democrat - (which sadly is not far off from the truth - look up allocation of funds in Democrat districts vs Republican...)

Latest CBS News poll shows Obama's support dropping to an all time low...

___

Obama's Approval Rating Dips to New Low

President Obama's job approval rating has fallen to 46 percent, according to a new CBS News poll.

That rating is Mr. Obama's lowest yet in CBS News polling, and the poll marks the first time his approval rating has fallen below the 50 percent mark. Forty-one percent now say they disapprove of Mr. Obama's performance as president.

Obama's Approval Rating Dips to New Low - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

LOL, that's still twice as high as Bush's final approval rating.

Tick... Tock... Tick...Tock... I wonder just how low they will go.. I would guess at this point that his approval numbers would go up if Obama Care failed. Democrats need to lose the Senate seat in Massachusetts to have any hope.

The Rasmussen Reports daily Presidential Tracking Poll for Wednesday shows that 24% of the nation's voters Strongly Approve of the way that Barack Obama is performing his role as President. Thirty-nine percent (39%) Strongly Disapprove giving Obama a Presidential Approval Index rating of -15

Overall, 46% of voters say they at least somewhat approve of the President's performance. Fifty-three percent (53%) disapprove.

Daily Presidential Tracking Poll - Rasmussen Reports™

Please feel free to quote an economist not on the government payroll who thinks the administration's policies will result in job creation and a growing economy.
And here's 200 of them, including 3 Nobel Prize winners, who opposed it a year ago. Looks like they were right.
First of all we have the results that are already in:

White House calls for jobs bill as it touts effects of stimulus on employment - TheHill.com

The Congressional Budget Office pegged the number of jobs saved or created by the stimulus last year to between 800,000 and 2.4 million. Other economists said that the stimulus had a smaller impact; Moody's Economy.com found the stimulus created almost 1.6 million jobs and IHS/Global Insight said that it created about 1.25 million jobs.

So it would appear that your 200 right-wing economists were in fact wrong, which is not surprising as they were all of the "Roosevelt destroyed the economy" revisionist history school of thought, as proved by the text of the petition itself.

And in fact, a year-and-a-half ago, economists supported Obama 2-to-1 over McCain.

Secondly most economists are criticizing Obama because they feel MORE Stimulus is needed, not less.

Well, we've already dispensed with the idea that utterances of the White House on "jobs saved or created" have any truck with reality. Even the White House tacitly admits this.
White House Changes Stimulus Jobs Count - ProPublica
Who are these "most economists"?? Do you survey economists somewhere? Are you hiding the results from the national media?

Republicans are happy. Obama's approval rating is down because he has moved too far to the right. Sending more troops to Afghanistan, leaving out a public option, not enough money going to infrastructure. EVERYTHING REPUBLICANS ARE ARE FOR.
They're so stupid, they think Obama has gone too far left.

Sad state of affairs when a fuckup like this can have so many duped that his approval rating is even this high.

My guess is a large segment of the 46% just aren't paying attention.

They probably still have jobs.-:lol::lol:

For now....

The jobs issue remains very troubling. The private sector is simply hunkering down because they are so uncertain as to what this administration and Democrat Congress have in store for them. Higher taxes, some form of healthcare boondogle, banks that have cut off business credit - it's a huge mess and 2009 was all but a wasted one for small business who received little to no help - or even attention, from the DC Democrats.

That's really starting to piss people off...

My guess is a large segment of the 46% just aren't paying attention.

For now....

The jobs issue remains very troubling. The private sector is simply hunkering down because they are so uncertain as to what this administration and Democrat Congress have in store for them. Higher taxes, some form of healthcare boondogle, banks that have cut off business credit - it's a huge mess and 2009 was all but a wasted one for small business who received little to no help - or even attention, from the DC Democrats.

Ditto--to add a couple Cap n Tax is not real popular with the American public--but in the end I think what really ticks Americans off is all this spending. 787 billion to stimulate the economy--that didn't. "Saved jobs" being counted--an irroneous number--that cannot be verified--while this term is being used for the 1st time in history--while we are still sheding 100's of thousands of jobs.

It's clear that Obama's flood the basement economics is not working--in fact it's making it much worse.

For now....

Ditto--to add a couple Cap n Tax is not real popular with the American public--but in the end I think what really ticks Americans off is all this spending. 787 billion to stimulate the economy--that didn't. "Saved jobs" being counted--an irroneous number--that cannot be verified--while this term is being used for the 1st time in history--while we are still sheding 100's of thousands of jobs.

It's clear that Obama's flood the basement economics is not working--in fact it's making it much worse

Absolutely.

Obama is NO JFK - not even close.

He's an empty suit teleprompter reading shill who lacks both experience and true intellectual understanding of what is going on about him.

Obama likes the sound of his own voice far more than he likes America...

The government is trying to define a healthy economy as one that has a growing stock market and GDP. The public is going to define it as a stable housing market and jobs. Even Geithner says the stimulus bill's effects will end during the second quarter this year. There is nothing of the scale it will take to change things significantly by election time. The loss of Democratic power in Congress to push legsilation through without Republican help will be over. This means nothing of substance for the rest of his term and further lossses for his approval ratings.

Short story: The bump he'll get from the Haiti efforts will be the highest for the balance of his term.

The government is trying to define a healthy economy as one that has a growing stock market and GDP. The public is going to define it as a stable housing market and jobs. Even Geithner says the stimulus bill's effects will end during the second quarter this year. There is nothing of the scale it will take to change things significantly by election time. The loss of Democratic power in Congress to push legsilation through without Republican help will be over. This means nothing of substance for the rest of his term and further lossses for his approval ratings.

Short story: The bump he'll get from the Haiti efforts will be the highest for the balance of his term.

sure about that??? he wants to send the refugees to Gitmo

sure about that??? he wants to send the refugees to Gitmo

Interesting that GITMO is good enough for the Haiti refugees but not for Islamic terrorists?

Only in Obama's world...

It is clear to me that many people here have not been paying attention to what has happened the last year, this administration has prevented a major US (and worldwide) depression. Remember the time when people were being scared that all the banks would go bankrupt (which would inevitably have resulted in a major worldwide economic depression)? We have an indicator for how close a company is to being bankrupt: the stock market. Have you looked at how the bankingstocks and other stocks have changed since last year?

And that many people were scared that the american auto-industry as a whole would go bankrupt in the USA?

Yes the number of unemployed is still high, but you have to remember that unemployement is a lagging indicator unlike to the stock market (Bloomberg.com: Movers by Index which is an indicator that is ahead of the economic reality: since it indicates future investments in the economy or the lack of it).

And for those who "think" (although I m not sure it has much to do with thinking) that a republican solution would have been better:

- Not saving the bank sector would have resulted in massive number of bankruptcies and even higher unemployment as a result, because of individuals and companies loosing their money and loaned money that is stored on the bank. Despite what many banks say now, the result of more banks going down would have dragged them down with them (because of the fact that almost all american banks are very depent on each other).

- Not saving the car industry would have resulted in an even higher number of unemployment, because not just the people who work at these car companies would loose their jobs: also the people working for the supply companies would loose their jobs (a much bigger number).

- Lower taxes for everyone (also the rich) would certainly have increased the national dept, remember that this administration has promised to lower taxes for everyone not considered "rich".

- Remember wich administration did not PREVENT this mess? Since preventing an economy going broke is preferable to fixing an economy that is already on its way to going broke, because it is hard to stop a moving train and impossible to turn it around immeadiately.

Last edited:
The financial bailout - if you wish to cite that as preventing a global crisis, was done by Bush, NOT Obama.

Obama and the liberal Democrats initiated the "stimulus" bill - which has been a total failure that has possibly hindered a much more viable economic recovery...

The financial bailout - if you wish to cite that as preventing a global crisis, was done by Bush, NOT Obama.

Obama and the liberal Democrats initiated the "stimulus" bill - which has been a total failure that has possibly hindered a much more viable economic recovery...

Yes Bush deserves credit for what he did for financial bailout plan, but you are wrong if you think Obama and his administration were not involved in it.
It was the Obama administration that implemented the plan, which included parts of the plan that Bush initially signed.

Sources:
Obama plans sweeping action on financial bailout - USATODAY.com
http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2009-02/10/content_10797232.htm
http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Investing/Extra/obamas-bailout-game-plan.aspx

Last edited:

Forum List

Back