Obama's New Fuel Economy Standards Will Increase Cost of a Car More Than $11,000

everyone must want trucks and SUV's? that must be why all the used car lots seem to be filled with trucks and SUV's?

Few small used cars seem to be on them.

I want one now.

Here you go and I'm sure they are very safe too:lol:

pure-coupe-red-black-banner.jpg

I'll take my truck though.

I was thinking more along these lines...

CHEVY_VOLT_LI-1.jpg

Umm...Genius it takes coal to power those cars. Get it?:eusa_eh: and they aren't doing too well...

As GM share prices plunge so do Chevy Volt sales, according to the latest auto sales figures. Throughout July, a whopping 125 Chevy Volts were sold, making the seemingly low 281 units sold in February a groundbreaking month.

GM spokeswoman Michelle Bunker attributed the fallback to "supply constraints," alleging that GM was "virtually sold out" and supply was down nationwide. But Mark Modica, associate fellow at the National Legal and Policy Center, confirmed Bunker’s assertion was false, as he wrote on FoxNews.com:

A search of cars.com site showed nearly 500 Chevy Volts listed for sale. I had originally assumed that GM dealers were advertising vehicles that were not actually available for sale, since GM has stated that there were only a "few" Volts available. I decided to call a few dealers within 75 miles of my location to determine what the true situation was. I stopped my research after finding that five of the first six dealers I called had Volts in inventory available for immediate sale. Two of the five dealers even had two each in stock. I can now safely assume that GM is, once again, not being entirely honest with its facts. The demand for the Chevy Volt is not as strong as GM would have us believe.

Chevy Volt Sales Plummet as the Electric Car Market Slumps

Last edited:

CHEVY_VOLT_LI-1.jpg

Umm...Genius it takes coal to power those cars. Get it?:eusa_eh: and they aren't doing too well...

As GM share prices plunge so do Chevy Volt sales, according to the latest auto sales figures. Throughout July, a whopping 125 Chevy Volts were sold, making the seemingly low 281 units sold in February a groundbreaking month.

GM spokeswoman Michelle Bunker attributed the fallback to "supply constraints," alleging that GM was "virtually sold out" and supply was down nationwide. But Mark Modica, associate fellow at the National Legal and Policy Center, confirmed Bunker’s assertion was false, as he wrote on FoxNews.com:

A search of cars.com site showed nearly 500 Chevy Volts listed for sale. I had originally assumed that GM dealers were advertising vehicles that were not actually available for sale, since GM has stated that there were only a "few" Volts available. I decided to call a few dealers within 75 miles of my location to determine what the true situation was. I stopped my research after finding that five of the first six dealers I called had Volts in inventory available for immediate sale. Two of the five dealers even had two each in stock. I can now safely assume that GM is, once again, not being entirely honest with its facts. The demand for the Chevy Volt is not as strong as GM would have us believe.

Really? No shit, Sherlock. It still reduces my carbon footprint. In any case, it's not just coal, it's however my supplier is producing electricity. It's still going to lower my footprint.

As for sales, not my problem. Low sales probably help me by reducing my cost for one.

Any other source besides CNSNews? $11,000 comes off as an exaggeration which is surprising for CNSNews since they don't have a history of embellishing stories...lol.

From the WSJ:
The technology required to make the cars and trucks able to meet the proposed standard could add $1,300 to the average cost of making a vehicle -- a significant share of the money Detroit's auto makers are trying to save by slashing their union retiree health care costs.
U.S. Orders Stricter Fuel Goals for Autos - WSJ.com

CHEVY_VOLT_LI-1.jpg

Really? No shit, Sherlock. It still reduces my carbon footprint. In any case, it's not just coal, it's however my supplier is producing electricity. It's still going to lower my footprint.As for sales, not my problem. Low sales probably help me by reducing my cost for one.

:cuckoo:Thats says it all... Why don't you buy some carbon credits while your at it?:eusa_eh: but hey.... You want an electric car? Cool, that's your right, but don't make me buy one, and that car wouldn't even be on the market if it wasn't pushed and partially subsidized by the government, Not qite free market capitalism is it?

These are Obama's standards idiot, anyway if people can't afford to by the damn cars it isn't gonna make any differance is it? i think we'll save more money by dropping the price of gas by a dollar you think?

1. Not necessarily
2. The passing of more stringent mileage requirements will serve to drop the price of gas, so in addition of having to buy less gallons you'll actually pay less for each gallon.

Link please?

It's common sense...

These are Obama's standards idiot, anyway if people can't afford to by the damn cars it isn't gonna make any differance is it? i think we'll save more money by dropping the price of gas by a dollar you think?

1. Not necessarily
2. The passing of more stringent mileage requirements will serve to drop the price of gas, so in addition of having to buy less gallons you'll actually pay less for each gallon.

Umm in the meantime the rest of the worlds demand for gas will more than double.
We are in a global economy now.

Yes I should have been more clear on that. The price will be lower than it otherwise would have been; Not necessarily lower than it is now.

by 2025 people will WANT 50 mpg vehicles bad.

I want one now.[/QUOTE]

First off, by the time the regs are in place there wont be a middle class

Second off there is nothing that cant be hopped up

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDEoMwHHtk0&feature=player_embedded]SMART with 192HP Kawasaki ZX10R Engine - YouTube[/ame]

Team Green strikes again :lol:

Last edited:
I want one now.

You can get close with a Prius.
Depending on your driving habits of course.

Actually, I'm thinking I can get one last gas powered vehicle in in my lifetime. Then, battery and charging technology should be good enough that I can buy an all electric, and use the gas powered on long haul trips only.

For a relatively small investment, we can have battery changing stations all across the US and it won't be necessary to have gas even for long trips.

It's common sense...

Meaning... it's your opinion, not meant to be construed as a factual statement. Got it.

OOOOOOoooooooo...Kay......

If you must have a link...

Supply and Demand

You're not very good at this.

You said...
The passing of more stringent mileage requirements will serve to drop the price of gas, so in addition of having to buy less gallons you'll actually pay less for each gallon.

Supply and demand certainly has an effect on prices. However, demand going up or down cannot be tied to more stringent mileage requirements.

Two separate issues/areas of discussion.

Unless of course, you can prove somehow that more stringent mileage requirements will reduce the mileage driven and lower demand for gas which would then lower the price.

People who drive X miles a day to go to work will still have to drive X miles a day, regardless of the more stringent mileage requirements. In fact, they are likely to drive MORE miles, as their car would be more efficient, thus increasing demand and driving the prices UP, not down.

Last edited:
The worst thing about the extreme cafe standards is that it will force the manufacture of extremely light, fragile cars. There will be many more deaths and injuries in collisions.

But that's OK, at their funerals, the minister can say "They died to make the world safe for ecofascism."

Meaning... it's your opinion, not meant to be construed as a factual statement. Got it.

OOOOOOoooooooo...Kay......

If you must have a link...

Supply and Demand

You're not very good at this.

You said...
The passing of more stringent mileage requirements will serve to drop the price of gas, so in addition of having to buy less gallons you'll actually pay less for each gallon.

Supply and demand certainly has an effect on prices. However, demand going up or down cannot be tied to more stringent mileage requirements.

Two separate issues/areas of discussion.

Unless of course, you can prove somehow that more stringent mileage requirements will reduce the mileage driven and lower demand for gas which would then lower the price.

People who drive X miles a day to go to work will still have to drive X miles a day, regardless of the more stringent mileage requirements. In fact, they are likely to drive MORE miles, as their car would be more efficient, thus increasing demand and driving the prices UP, not down.

It's an axiom dude. If you drive 20 miles to work and it takes a gallon of gas, you will burn more gas than if you drive 20 miles to work and it takes half a gallon. It's nothing too complex we're talking about here.

Hence demand curve shifts and market clearing price drops. Of course we're only talking about the effect of the mileage requirements. Other factors may and will move the supply and demand curves. But we're talking in terms of 'all other things equal.'

It is the President proposed fuel economy standards for 2025. An increase in fuel effeciency of about 100%. And that's an average cost increase. On low end cars the increase will not be as steep.

It's an axiom dude. If you drive 20 miles to work and it takes a gallon of gas, you will burn more gas than if you drive 20 miles to work and it takes half a gallon. It's nothing too complex we're talking about here.

Hence demand curve shifts and market clearing price drops. Of course we're only talking about the effect of the mileage requirements. Other factors may and will move the supply and demand curves. But we're talking in terms of 'all other things equal.'

I spend 'X' on 1 gallon of gas, to go 20 miles to work. Then, with a higher efficiency vehicle, I spend 1/2 'X' for the same 20 miles. Now that I just saved 1/2 'X', I will drive an additional 'Y' number of miles because I can use the savings of 1/2 'X' to cover it. At a minimum, there is no effect on demand because of the extra miles, because the same amount of fuel is used in either case..

Even this disproves the original statement 'The passing of more stringent mileage requirements will serve to drop the price of gas'.

I spend 'X' on 1 gallon of gas, to go 20 miles to work. Then, with a higher efficiency vehicle, I spend 1/2 'X' for the same 20 miles. Now that I just saved 1/2 'X', I will drive an additional 'Y' number of miles because I can use the savings of 1/2 'X' to cover it. At a minimum, there is no effect on demand because of the extra miles, because the same amount of fuel is used in either case..

Even this disproves the original statement 'The passing of more stringent mileage requirements will serve to drop the price of gas'.

If that were true, the price of gas would never change.

Supply and demand dictate price, not the other way around.

I drive a 1998 Buick LeSabre. We are eventually going to get an inheritance once my deceased MIL's house sells and have decided rather than buying a new car or anything, we are going to look for land, something we can eventually retire to or certainly enjoy now as vacation property. Anyway, should this car render itself undriveable at some point, when that day comes I will look for another vehicle,preferrably one that pisses the liberals off - definitely a full size. I work out of my home for a large transcription company, so only drive my Buick to the mall, the beauty shop, etc., Use my hubby's new Silvarado (which he says BTW his next truck will be a Ford) for long distances. OR we rent a luxury care for long trips.

I think you all don't understand. There are two standards here, one for us common fold and one for Washington. Obama does a campaign tour on taxpayer money in a Million dollar bus that probable get 3pmg but he want to legislate economy cars for us. This a lot like the Al Gore global warming scam that netted him million.

I wonder what fat cat is paying for the estate he is using in Martha Vineyard?

Forum List

Back